WC2 and DOSBox: Weird sound issues

Dead Honky

Spaceman
For the record: I have a 3Ghz Pentium IV with 1GB RAM. I run WCII at 6000 cycles using the normal core.

Voices are weird to get working here. If I let the opening run when I start a new game, it freezes as the Emperor dismisses his guards (though the music still plays). I've actually found that I can get through the opening if I let it run after I've registered and play it from the gameflow as the story segment, though then I run into another problem: when I get to the scene with Tolwyn, it all becomes distorted and quick (chipmunkish). The same goes for any voices during flight, where the pilot won't leave the screen after speaking the garbled dialogue.

Now, this could be because the copy of WCII I applied all this too is less-than-legit (though I DID recently just score 3.5 floppy versions of WCI and II off of eBay and have a CD of WCII with the speech pack and expansions at home, so this is no big deal as I can get to it in two weeks after graduating from college). Also, I think the speech pack disks I got with my WCI and II purchase may be busted (after I tried to run the installation through DOSBox, the executable ceased to exist. Would copying all the files directly into WCII's Gamedat folder suffice?).

Any advice?

Thanks.

Sound corruption and missing audio files are one of the biggest technical problems with pirated Wing Commander games.

I nuked and reinstalled using the floppies. The intro plays all the way through on the first time now, but the all of the speech pack sound is still garbled; I'm going to assume it's still compressed. The previous owner didn't put up the write-protection on the speech disks and I didn't notice til it was too late. Oh well; guess I'm SOL til I can get back to my CD at home. Thanks for the help.

Did you follow our DOSBox tutorial? Make sure you pick Sound Blaster, DMA 1 and IRQ7 (using DOSBox defaults). I don't recall it ever being an issue with WC2, but limit your memory to 16 megs if you increased it. WC2 should be run with the loadfix command as well.

I tried all that. It's still the same.

EDIT: Hmm. I just learned that the Gamedats for the Kilrathi Saga versions are the same thing as the DOS originals, so I just copied the KS WCII Gamedat over the DOS one; great success!

Back