WC2 - A little too real?

Mad Hatter

Spaceman
I was playing WC2 today, and since I`m a bit out of practice, I got shot to pieces in one of the missions.

Goes something like this: Shields failing, armor chewed out, fuel tanks hit, accl absorbers hit, ejection warning light appears, the ship explodes... and my computer shuts down! :D

Happened to me twice! Now here`s a reality check for ya... ;)

Originally posted by Mad Hatter
I was playing WC2 today, and since I`m a bit out of practice, I got shot to pieces in one of the missions.

Goes something like this: Shields failing, armor chewed out, fuel tanks hit, accl absorbers hit, ejection warning light appears, the ship explodes... and my computer shuts down! :D

That's the fun in it :)

Well... I just very recently re-played WC2... and the first mission where I got blown to pieces was one of the Rapier missions...
Then the Epees ones, obviously...
NEVER in a Broadsword (maybe ONCE, 'cause I was just fucking around)...
...and a few times in a Sabre...

In total, probably I got destroyed less than the first time I played it... :)

I also discovered SO1 (which I never had played before), and for those Epee missions, that's another story... :(

Originally posted by mpanty
Well... I just very recently re-played WC2... and the first mission where I got blown to pieces was one of the Rapier missions...
Then the Epees ones, obviously...
NEVER in a Broadsword (maybe ONCE, 'cause I was just fucking around)...
...and a few times in a Sabre...

In total, probably I got destroyed less than the first time I played it... :)

I also discovered SO1 (which I never had played before), and for those Epee missions, that's another story... :(

Well this Epee matter has been discussed before, so I will only say that I hardly ever was killed in an Epee... I cannot understand, to be honest, why you like the Broadsword that much. I found it catastrophic that the shields of the Broadsword reloaded so slowly, so once they were down, they did not reload until I was hit again. That made it especially hard during bombing runds

Back on topic, I always loved the way damage was shown in WC1/2. It was much more realistic than in WC 3/4/5 and it was really great to come home with 2 destroyed VUD's ,one laser gun left and everything destroyed... I think it wasn't over realistic, it was just like it should be

I think the point of this a little to real thing was "and my computer shuts down!"
I've had that happen but I can't remember which wc games used to do it to me, enjoy it it'll be the only time the kilrathi really put the fear of god into you :D .
once I tried to see how far I could make it in WCIV only on the ace setting with out restarting the game or any of the missions, Soon after I got to disc3 I was flying a coffin, if we were really in Wing commander some of us might do ok, but we sure as hell wouldn't be the ace hotshot blair is.

[Edited by Dekkar on 04-09-2001 at 20:03]

and my computer shuts down! :D

Ok sorry I overread this one the last two times :-(.
Well this sometimes happened to me, too, and in this respect, it could well have been a little less "realistic"

Originally posted by Dekkar
I think the point of this a little to real thing was "and my computer shuts down!"
[Edited by Dekkar on 04-09-2001 at 20:03]

Yes I got it now... its getting late in Europe :)

Yes, well, thanks for joining us, finally, Sonntag. ;)

Raptor: When in the intro did you lose power? If it had been at the moment the bugs fire on the Deveraux, that would be very fitting, wouldn`t it? :)

Epee...god I hate that ship!

When you get back in an Epee, its not with guns missing, its with a big cross on top and a couple of bunches of flowers around.

Just to clarify things :)

(BTW I really loved how things got shot to pieces in WC and WC2. The radar splatter was annoying thought because I couldn't see the enemy!)

Raptor: When in the intro did you lose power? If it had been at the moment the bugs fire on the Deveraux, that would be very fitting, wouldn`t it? :)

It was right at the start of the reading of the Prophecy of Sivar. Ah, well, can't have everything. :)

Best, Raptor

originally posted by Zor Prime
I actually never got blown up in one. Maybe I am that good no?
Was the experience of getting blown up in an Epee so traumatic for you that it's possible you're suppressing the memory?;)

[Edited by Death's Head on 04-10-2001 at 16:12]

Originally posted by Zor Prime
I never had a problem with the epee. I actually never got blown up in one. Maybe I am that good no?
I see it already before me: The day they publish a WC Multiplayer game, we will see a huge battle between Epee lovers against Epee haters... flying in Broadswords...
Would be interesting to see who wins

But we will never find out, I fear...

I fear too...
Theoratically, the Epees should win. They can stay out of the rather short range of the Broadsword's guns and blow them apart from the distance because the Broadsword cannot catch them up. Theoratically... Of course if someone is so dumb to get close to a Broadsword, in an Epee, well then bye,bye Epee. :)
I found both ships, Broadsword and Epee, were good ships but I did both not enjoy very much. the Broadsword was too slow and the Epee too flimsy. I liked the Rapier and Ferret best.

Damage in WC1/WC2 was definately the best. And those games were also much more of a challenge (especially WC1) than WC3.

[Edited by Mekt-Hakkikt on 04-10-2001 at 16:41]

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
I fear too...
Theoratically, the Epees should win. They can stay out of the rather short range of the Broadsword's guns and blow them apart from the distance because the Broadsword cannot catch them up. Theoratically... Of course if someone is so dumb to get close to a Broadsword, in an Epee, well then bye,bye Epee. :)
I found both ships, Broadsword and Epee, were good ships but I did both not enjoy very much. the Broadsword was too slow and the Epee too flimsy. I liked the Rapier and Ferret best.

Damage in WC1/WC2 was definately the best. And those games were also much more of a challenge (especially WC1) than WC3.

[Edited by Mekt-Hakkikt on 04-10-2001 at 16:41]

It would be great fun to try this... You are right, the Epee should win, but this depends a lot of how good the Turrets of the Broadsword work (when the BS pilot looks out the front window so that the turrets are operated by the computer), if the computer does a good job, then it might be challenging ...

Damage in WC1/2 was really great, as you pointed out... There's something I absolutely cannot understand, in my WC3 EA Classics edition (the normal german WC3 edition that includes Victory Streak etc but that has gotten a new "Budget" design on the outside), it is stated by Thomas Borowskis (German PC Games) : Für mich ist WC 3 trotz seines sehr hoch angesetzten Schwierigkeitsgrades DAS actionspiel des Jahres...

(that means in English that it is a great game even though it is hard)

Very High Difficulty??? What was the guy playing?

When flying WC2, nothing in WC3 is difficult

As the Troadsword's turrets have an even shorter range, they should not pose a threat, no matter who mans them. Nevertheless, if the Epee closes in, bam, no more Epee. :)

And very weird indeed what that guy wrote. On nightmare, okay, WC3 is not too easy. But there was a skill level for everyone. I mean how could you possibly got shot down at "Rookie"?
He must have been really bad. WC1, especially SM2, now that is difficult.

[Edited by Mekt-Hakkikt on 04-10-2001 at 17:06]

Originally posted by Dekkar
Soon after I got to disc3 I was flying a coffin, if we were really in Wing commander some of us might do ok, but we sure as hell wouldn't be the ace hotshot blair is.

Actually, all the WC games are meant to be played on the Ace setting.

A good example is Prophecy.

ROOKIE LEVEL: Stated turning rates -20%, your guns do 2x damage, etc.
ACE LEVEL: Turning rates are the same as stated in various sources, both publicated and online, your guns do 1x damage, etc..
NIGHTMARE LEVEL: Stated turning rates +20%, your guns do .5x damage, etc.

What does this mean? This means that you are twice as powerful on Rookie, and twice as underhanded on Nightmare. Ace is exactly the way the ships behave...besides slight AI changes and a propensity for missile locks, there's not a massive difference between Ace and Nightmare.

These rates increase at Hero and Veteren levels, as well, but halfway between the levels I've stated here.

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
As the Troadsword's turrets have an even shorter range, they should not pose a threat, no matter who mans them. Nevertheless, if the Epee closes in, bam, no more Epee. :)

And very weird indeed what that guy wrote. On nightmare, okay, WC3 is not too easy. But there was a skill level for everyone. I mean how could you possibly got shot down at "Rookie"?
He must have been really bad. WC1, especially SM2, now that is difficult.

[Edited by Mekt-Hakkikt on 04-10-2001 at 17:06]
Well the very first time I played WC3, I didnt even find the inflight menu where you could adjust the difficulty, so I played it on ace (and I also did that in WC4/5) I just recently played it on Nightmare the very first time. Well I think that even in Nightmare, WC3 is not easy, but it is neither too hard compared to WC2/1. I have not yet played SM 1/2 as I just received them and it is hard to get used to DOS WC1 graphics after having played WCP :), as well as I have to reactivate my old 486, plugging the joystick inside of it... I don't have time for this :-(

I tried a bit of SM 1, however... Damn it starts in difficulty where WC1 ended!!! If it stays this way, well I think even the first WC4 ground mission is easy!

Back