WC1 Wingmen

DaShawty00

Spaceman
Hey guys. I'm having a problem with Spirit and Hunter dying on Secret Missions 2. Spirit keeps dying on the sixth Firekka mission and Hunter dies the mission before I'm supposed to fly with him at Corsair. I've tried just restarting the game from the beginning but the exact same thing happened. I was wondering if there was a way to change the game config to keep this from happening or if it was just a bug that I couldn't control.

Funny thing with WC1, nobody is immortal :rolleyes:
Just keep a real close eye on them, I used to have troubles like that myself.

In order to improve my killing stats I used to always tell them not to dogfight and stay safe at the back.

Just send them home when they've taken too much fire (that uses to work fine with anyone but Maniac!!)

As far as I can tell, hunter is dying BEFORE he gets to fly with him. There was a know "dying wingmen" bug in WC1-SM2. give google a try.

The thing about Spirit dying is we will have completed the mission and returned to the claw but like 1 second before I land I hear the collision sound effect and the "somebody died" music. I've even tried just afterburning all the way home after I clear nav 4 and leaving her to catch up but the same thing always happens. Another weird thing is there's never a funeral.

Hunter dies inexplicably the mission BEFORE I fly with him so there's no way I can prevent either of them from dying. You said give google a try but am I looking for a patch or just info to change the game config?

There's a help text in our files section that talks about a WC1 wingman dying bug. There's also a savegame editor you can use to bring your wingmen back to life if you feel like you've been affected by this bug.

My observation was that when I was getting too many kills, it would start killing my wingmen before I could fly with them (at the time, I thought this was its way of increasing the difficulty to correspond to my kill acheivements). A simple fix is not to transfer your WC pilot to the Secret Missions, but just to start a new character. Other fixes may be available, as mentioned by other posters

IIRC the savegame editor has an option to simply prevent the bug as well.

In the SNES versions, I would afterburn right towards the enemy. The Wingman usually lagged behind. ONce I got some distance, I would give the order to break and attack or to attack my target. I would then turn around and accellerate right at my wingman. Usually, even as the enemy woudl go after me, my wingman would have some opportunties for some great shots, I usually did my best to make sure wingmen would get a few kill's per sortie.

For Spirit dying, have you tried sending her back to the Claw at some point during the mission? I forget if she's on her super-obedient kick at that point in the game or not.

Back