WC1 Speed

TheElusiveHobo

Spaceman
Just a quick question. I've watched a couple of videos of Wing Commander 1 and its expansions, and the gameplay seems much quicker and more fluid in this footage that in the GOG version I'm running. Many of these videos were from the Kilrathi Saga version, and I'm running the original, so I wrote it off to that, but then I saw footage from Secret Missions with the more fluid gameplay, and it had the original's lo-fi music. Could anyone explain this to me?

Also, I've looked up the proper settings for the GOG version and implemented them. My version seems to be running just fine, it's just that this footage seems much different.

Thanks a lot.

One thing I've noticed is that GOG is running dosbox at 4000 cycles for Wing Commander 1. I did a playthrough at 5000 cycles a while back and it seemed fine.

You might give that a try. In your GOG.com\Wing Commander 1 and 2\WC\dosboxWC.conf, change "cycles=4000" to "cycles=5000"

There's no true consensus that I've aware of as to what this setting *should* be, but if 5000 seems too choppy or too quick for you, it's easy to dial back down or further up

Wow, that's 10 times better. I knew shouldn't have been having that much trouble leading my targets. Thanks a lot, Nomad.

You can also change the CPU cycles while DOSbox is running. Pressing Ctrl + F11 will decrease the cycles, while pressing Ctrl + F12 will increase. The GOG versions are configured for increments of 1000 cycles. I found this useful for speeding up the game when fighting in asteroids, as this really slowed the game for me.

Back