WC1 speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mustang

Spaceman
Yes, the infamous "WC runs too fast on my system" question. Except I've actually tried Mo'slo, Bremz, CPUKiller, and Turbo, all in both DOS and Win98se, where available/applicable.
So either my P3 550 is _too_ fast, or I'm doing something wrong. Any ideas?

(also, if there's a solution in an old thread somewhere, could somebody direct me to it?)
Thanks.

Silent Warrior,
For some reason when I try anything below /24, it reverts to full speed. Strange, but then I thought I rememebered something in the documentation that said it won't slow the processor below what's necessary for the computer to function, but now I can't find it.

Stinger,
I got the doubling-up to work through Windows. It _seems_ to run about the right speed, but it's too jerky. In DOS, when I try to run moslo on command.com the system locks up. But DOS is screwed up here anyway. So I figure if I can get DOS working properly, I'll be set.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll let you know when/if I get it working.

Ok, so I got the processor slowed down as far as it would go (366), but obviously that's still too fast. Any combination of Mo'slo was way too jerky to play. So I messed with various combinations of BIOS settings. Nothing really affected anything until I disabled the L1 cache. Then WC ran too slow. Very strange.
Then I figured if I sped up the processor speed again, but left the L1 cache off, it would help. No change: Still too slow.
So at this point I think I've tried everything I can. The only solution at this point appears to be to get an older computer...ebay here I come.

Thanks again everybody for all your help.

Slowdown Px to 486 or 386

Hi Mustang
Recently I downloaded Slowdown 2.0 from ZDnet which allows
you to adjust your CPU to any clock rate you want. The file is very small (around 35 kb) and a very detailed guide is included. I slowed my computer down equivalent to a 486 with 24 MHz, WC1 works fine on my Computer now.

Enjoy

[Edited by Chianti on 07-01-2001 at 17:43]

the problem with all those programs is that the faster the pc the jerkier the game when slowed down, that makes it unplayable and thus the game is rendered useless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back