WC1: SM2 - Strange error

Penta

Spaceman
Eeek. STRANGE error: RIGHT after the cutscene where Halcyon tells you
you're being transferred to a 'special' squadron to fly an undercover
mission....I get a funky error...This isn't EXACT typing, but...

Sorry, an error has occurred while allocating memory.

Please note the following information:
Talkingx.vga #3 (ERR 3 PS-1 LB258649 FL0) at LP4

(Now, a note...it ISN'T talkingx.vga per se. Always talking2.vga or talking1.vga...mostly talking2.vga, but I have seen talking1.vga a bit.)

Now, I WOULD'VE sent this to origin, but their email link for Dos games is broke.

Interesting... haven't seen this error before. It could mean that one or more of the files has become corrupt somehow (possibly from the install disks sitting around as long as they surely must have been, since you're using the DOS version), in which case they can be replaced, but it more likely means that, somehow, not enough memory is available. What is the output of MEM /C?

Stinger said:
Interesting... haven't seen this error before. It could mean that one or more of the files has become corrupt somehow (possibly from the install disks sitting around as long as they surely must have been, since you're using the DOS version), in which case they can be replaced, but it more likely means that, somehow, not enough memory is available. What is the output of MEM /C?

Good question. Keeping in mind I'm running this under Win95 (as none of the slowdown programs for DOS will work)...

Since I'm not able to copy the whole screen..
Largest executable program size is 584K. Note though, it runs FINE up to this point. SM1 and WC1 run perfectly too.

hmm
Be careful here... is it 584K, or 584,000 (570K)? 584K is way more than enough, but I'm not so sure about 570K. What about EMS memory? How much do you have in that arena?

Stinger said:
hmm
Be careful here... is it 584K, or 584,000 (570K)? 584K is way more than enough, but I'm not so sure about 570K. What about EMS memory? How much do you have in that arena?
584K. I checked for that myself after I posted. EMS? From Screen:
Free Expanded 16,777,216 (16M)

XMS shouldn't be an issue?

It would appear that it has trouble loading up Jazz's picture... check if title1.vga is actually there. And if possible, check if it's not corrupt.

Stinger: Could this be a matter of increasing the FILES number?

Oh, and EMS/XMS doesn't matter here. WC1 didn't use either.

Ah that old error. I've seen this error on someone else's puter. Can you escape (Esc)the scene before the error?

I don't recall how I fixed the problem, this was many years ago. The problem was an easy fix. I would lamely guess that replacing the file in question would do it. Maybe your game was corrupted or your disks were damaged/aged. Or maybe Bill gates doesn't like WC.

I don't think pressing escape will help here, DH. He says it happens after the cutscene... in other words, when he's going to the recroom.

Actually, EMS was used by WC1 to make explosions look better, with possibly one or two other effects; can't remember exactly what.

In any case, that number is more than sufficient. Seems to me that replacing the files is the way to go.

No, WC 2 did that. WC 1 does absolutely nothing with EMS. As far as it's concerned, EMS never existed
smile.gif
. But like you said, it doesn't matter either way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stinger said:
Actually, EMS was used by WC1 to make explosions look better, with possibly one or two other effects; can't remember exactly what.

In any case, that number is more than sufficient. Seems to me that replacing the files is the way to go.

I hate to ask it like this, but..anybody know where I could GET all this? Part of the problem is that I'm cashless at the moment (part of being 16....I'm usually broke.), so EBay and such isn't an option.

Actually, that's pretty simple. Somebody who has KS (like me) can download the SM package from ftp://ftp.origin.ea.com/pub/origin/patches/kilrathi/ and install it (like I have) and send you the replacement files via e-mail(as I just did). Even though the ones I sent are from KS, they should be exactly the same as the ones originally used. Most of the files weren't changed.

Indeed.

Is there a link for OSI that is for general inquiries for games they are selling at present? Win95, OSI, WC type.

Also, does someone have the SO fiction files needed for download to run the viewer?

Umm... The KS files REALLY don't work with the original games... enough signifigant changes were made that it really doesn't work.

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

You're wrong, TC. I've done enough experiments to know that the graphics files (and this is what we're talking about) are perfectly interchange-able. As are the briefings and the mission files.

Back