WC1 SM1 & 2

Granit

Spaceman
Guys, does anyone know the place, where SM1 & 2 can be downloaded?
I mean - WC1 for DOS, NOT Kilrathi Saga WC1.

Thanks in advance, Granit.

Yup.

A word of warning: I'm about to point you to an abandonware site. "Abandonware" refers to games that are no longer being produced and sold, and are therefore making no money for the producers. Since these ARE still copyrighted games, distributing them is of dubious legality; I still haven't gotten a straight answer from anywhere on whether or not it's against the law to download things from these sites.

So, with that in mind, here's the URL: [Censored]

[Edited by Quarto on 11-28-2000 at 04:34]

Oh, it's quite illegal. As much as we might wish otherwise, ownership laws do not lapse just because the owner is not using the property.

Also, we generally frown on people asking for info on places to download pirated software from, and we most definitely disapprove of people actually answering them.

SM1 & 2 are freeware

Guys, I am a law-obedient citizen and I meant LEGALLY download.
AFAIK, WC1 SM1 & 2 are FREEWARE (by Origin's decision, of course) and have been so for at least a couple of years.

Thanks, Granit.

I've never heard that, I'm afraid. Admittedly, the KSaga versions are free to download, but that's the least they could do ;).
If you can find some sort of proof or confirmation that the DOS versions are freeware, I'd be very interested in hearing it, actually.

I'm pretty sure that if OSI made them freeware, someone from the CIC would know about it Q.:)

Being old does not a freeare game make.

as quarto and i have gone head to head on this before i wont tell youn the url but they are available on a reasonably large WC site, i think navpoint links to it but bear in mind that this is definitely Breaking the Law

Hey again is the KSaga WC1 free to download you know as it was released on PCGamer last year? if so anyone know where to get it as that definitely is Freeware

One more thing if you do se WC1 to buy then I urge you to buy it as then you are no longer breaking the law and besides its nice to have the box by for now

Originally posted by Madman
Hey again is the KSaga WC1 free to download you know as it was released on PCGamer last year? if so anyone know where to get it as that definitely is Freeware

Have you heard of editing posts, Madman?:)

The KS version of WC1 that came with PC gamer is certainly not freeware. PC gamer had to do a lot of begging to get the OK from Origin to make just this one game available. And it wasn't last year. It was with the June isue I belive, sadly I was in Poland and wasn't able to get it.

Ok, a few things to straighten out. When a magazine CD contains a game, that doesn't mean that the game is freeware - notice that it is illegal for you to copy a magazine CD for a friend. You're still paying for the game, except that you get the magazine and some other junk for free with it :).

Second, the KSaga edition of WC is not the same as the DOS edition. In other words, even if the KSaga edition was freeware, the DOS edition would still remain the same as before - that is to say, if someone gives you a book for free, that doesn't allow you to get the movie of the book for free.

Hmm... yes and no, but mostly no. Certainly, you don't need to have KSaga to be able to download them. But, you won't be able to install them without KSaga installed.
At the same time, the KSaga add-ons can be partially used with the DOS version of WC and WC2. I had done some extensive experiments with this, back in the day what I didn't have KSaga. Keep in mind though, that while I had quite a bit of success persuading the WC2 addons to play nice with the DOS version, the WC1 addons are nasty beasts which cannot be persuaded to work properly.

Therefore, the question of whether they're freeware or not is moot. If you've got KSaga, you're free to download and use them. If you don't... you're still free to download them, but you can't use 'em; their legal status doesn't change that basic fact.

Most certainly not. Like I said, putting it on a magazine CD doesn't make it freeware - you still pay for it, and you still can't distribute it. Essentially, it's just Origin granting the magazine permission to sell it in a different format.

darn anyone know of a way i could get the US PCG in the UK ;)
by the way check out dark towers post regarding a people who died search, anyone capable of posting on the CIC could you please make a general plea for people to play through the games and find out when they do, kilrathi aces and wingmen included. Ta

[Edited by madman on 11-30-2000 at 08:35]

Um, replay games? That's pointless. A lot of people here know which of the major characters died and which lived. But if you want more than just the games, than LOAF would be the best person to ask.

Back