WC1: SM: Jotunheim 3

skarczew

Spaceman
SM for Secret Mission ...maybe rather Sadism&Masochism.

How to pass the damn Jotunheim 3 ?
If I even get clean to Gwenhyvar, the Rapiers tear me with rockets (or they always get sucky shot when my shields are down).

Any tactics for soloing them ?

Ah....I remember that mission against the Gwenhyvar.

Here's what I always do (with varying degrees of success.) Remember that you want the fighters and destroyer both down. So hit your afterburners and do some fancy flying very close to the Gwenhyvar. If you burn far past it then come back and loop around really tight and hit your burners the Rapiers will try to follow, but since the AI isn't as adept at turning...well after the fighters shields are down its really just a tricked out Hornet.

The Gwenhyvar doesn't fire anything at you so it it survives all of the Rapier's gunfire/missiles/collisions then its a sitting duck. Don't be afraid to launch a few IRs or HSs if you get the opportunity.

I did this mission just afterburning through Killrathi and Nav points till I met Gwenhyvar. Good thing is they do not follow.

After it i just made one damn big dogfight extensively using afterburner. Spirit managed somehow to kill one Rapier (all were after me anyway), and the armor kept long enough till all of them were down.

One the way back i killed Krants, but there was not enough fuel for Grathas. Fleed from them using last few seconds of afterburner.

In the end I did not get many kills, but at least wingman is alive and mission is completed :] .

Yes, it’s probably the most difficult mission so far. I found that I’m able to shot down the Rapiers with Full Guns at a close distance when they’re making their side maneuvers next to you. But don’t meet them face to face! However, I was always knocked down by Grathas on my way back, since Raptor was heavily damaged after dogfight with Rapiers. So finally, I first cleared all fighters between TC and Nav-1, returned back to TC, cleared path to Nav-2, and tried my luck against Rapiers. Actually, you need to fight only four of them, if you’re not getting close to captured Exeter. Once they done, fifth Rapier which is hanging close to Exeter wasn’t a big problem. Good luck, everyone!

Yes, it’s probably the most difficult mission so far.

All depends, I suppose; I've only killed everyone in it once or twice, but clearing the Gwenhyvar itself out can be done fairly reliably with some practice. Doesn't require too much in the way of fancy tactics, if you only want to polish off the Gwenhyvar itself. Hit full afterburners and leave them on while weaving all over the place- when an enemy enters your view, launch a missile and pop off a few shots. Take out the rapiers first, as they're easier to crack. Don't spend any more than a few seconds on your first few attack runs, as there's too many bogies to deal with.

With a little bit of luck, you'll be able to pick them off one by one with this method, assuming you don't collide with anyone or take one missile shot too many- there's a lot to keep track of. I actually prefer to stay away from the Gwenhyvar, since WC1's engine doesn't make it easy to perform a close fly-by of a capship without smacking into its collision box.

Once you have that down, killing everyone in the mission is a matter of using afterburners when you're breaking a missile lock, or when someone gets onto your tail- in other words, pulsing it every few seconds and taking a different flight path. Otherwise, you'll run out of fuel.

I still hate Kurasawa 2 more, simply because I can keep myself alive far more easily than I can protect something else. Wasn't it Hubble's Star on the losing track that had a similar situation, but with Draymans in the line? I didn't even bother with that one... just hated getting kicked off the winning track of WC1 for so long.

This is the mission I'm on at the moment. I've completed it before and indeed could just run, but something in me stops me doing it.
Usually I get killed by the rapiers, but if I manage to clear them, by the time I reach the last wave of Gratha, I'm out of 'burner fuel and a dead duck. I think this is one of the best tests of an all round fighter piolt. So much has to be managed very closely.

It's possible to outmaneuver the Grathas without burner fuel, if you play it very cautiously. WC1's AI is so hilariously bad that you just about break even.

My latest tactic is to head to Nav 2 first, take out the Gratha and Krants, then head to Nav one, take out the other wing of Gratha and the Jalthi's and leave the Rapiers until last. I'm still failing, but I get a LOT more game time.
When I finish work this week I'm going to break into the mission code and put Hunter or Iceman on my wing instead of Spirit. She's soooo lame.

When flying a Raptor, try not to utilise "spray and pray" tactics. It's the worst you can do. Rather try flying very close to your target (preferably behind it), when you are 90% sure you can hit it, quickly release full guns till the energy is empty (of course at point bank range).
Than, evasive manoeuvres, try to lock on a new target without firing (your guns will recharge) and start again. I found this tactics very effective especially flying Raptors - fire onlty when you are sure you can hit your target.

Also, rather tap the afterburner buttont han hold it, and only when necessary. It will save your fuel too.

Did you find this tactics better as well guys?

Agree with that. "Spray and Pray" works well with ships that have a fast refire rate and don't run out of energy very quickly, and is best used with agile ships that have to keep moving to avoid enemy fire. I.e. it's the perfect approach when flying a ferret.

A raptor has withering firepower, but can only get off 2-3 shots before needing to recharge, so you need to make those shots count. And because it's such a stable gunnery platform (read: crappy maneuverability), it's easy to aim those shots to make them count. As a bonus, it's fast enough to close quickly and get out and keep clear while you re-charge. All these factors make your suggested strategy wise, and make the Raptor quite awesome.

A raptor has withering firepower, but can only get off 2-3 shots before needing to recharge

I'm pretty sure it can pop off a full 4 at once, and then another shot a second later, for 5 overall.... or perhaps only 4 overall. Either way you'll pop like a balloon with a full charge. Weren't there Raptors in that mission too? They're even more deadly, since they have that firepower, too...

And Lark, your tactics are spot on, as far as I'm concerned.

As Gamer8585 mentioned the easiest way to knock down all rapiers is to run in circles very close to Exeter: after couple of minutes all rapiers will crash into it eventually. However you’ll not have much to add to your scoreboard.

Back