WC1 for win 95

Yes and no, there is the KS WC I that works in windows, one was on a issue of PC Gamer (I think that is the name).
Perhaps you can order that back issue on their site.

Do the back issues of the magazines come with the CD's? I still dont get how EA/OSI think this method of marketing helps them other than giving stuff away thru a magazine. Then not to even have product for sale directly on their sites. Do they really pay these magazines a fee to put the WC games on these compilation CD's? Why not just post the games on their sites for download. They would save the fee costs to put them in magazines. Makes no sense whatsoever. If its a marketing sceme to sell magazines, perhaps EA/OSI should quit the game business and start a new magazine, call it WC World or something. But to pay the other magazine publishers a fee to have their games which you cannot get direct from EA/OSI pasted onto a freebie CD is actually telling the rest of us to go climb a rock! Then they tell us they will not re release the games, but you find them on the magazine CD's! I dont think I have ever heard anything more stupid than this!! Stupid in a sense of business, but maybe a good thing for those trying to end their long searches for these games. It would be nice if EA/OSI would come out of their closet and splain all this!
:mad:
RFBurns

Ya maybe they do get some kind of monies from the magazines. But I would bet my Centurion that the money they get is only a tiny fraction of what they could get if they made the games available for sale on their websites. I dont think that lack of tech support would flow into this equation. If it did, they wouldnt put the games on the magazine CD's I dont think. Its so weird it can drive a pilot to drinking in the cockpit! Get a ticket for FUI. Flying Under the Influence. :D

RFBurns

Zor that is just plain wrong, Origin has done alot for the fans and I shall recount them all to you:
1. WCSO available for free for a limited time, if you didn't get it it is your own damn fault.
2. Making SM1/2 SO1/2 avalable for DL off of sites for free
3. Allowing KS WC1 to be on a mag cd, and probably allowing WCII on one in the near future.
4. Bringing back ultima after many years of not being there, remeber OSI is not a single game universe company, they must satisfy all their fans.
5. Allowing the CIC to host the WCATV episodes

Have I made my point? Just because there hasn't been a new WC in a few years doesn't mean they don't like the fans

I never said that they haven't done anything for the fans. I was being a bit sarcastic. Lately it seems that they are just ignoring the fans and leaving them to themselves. Sure, they have done a lot of things for the fans in the past, but look at what has happened recently. It's almost like they don't care about us. Either that, or they are just keeping us in the dark while they secretly make another WC game.... We can hope.

Originally posted by Darkmage
I wish we had volition working on the WC games. They actually listen to what the fans want.

Well maybe only certian fans they listened too, after FS1 came out and they recieved tons of complaints about how the ships fly and other things, when FS2 hit, many were dissapointed because the flight characteristics were not addressed. Things like roll rate, afterburn shaking, going full speed w/AB on and turning on a dime, things like that they ignored. I seriously doubt any WC fan would go for Volitions attempt at a WC game. Unless of course, Volition were to consult EA/OSI and CR heavily on the game characteristics when it comes to the space flight. Fighters simply do not fly like bombers, nor vise versa. Even multi purpose craft like the Kilrathi Gothri had unique flight characteristics that seperated it from a dedicated fighter and dedicated bomber. Then there were the weapons. Terran weapons were weak and required hit after hit after hit just to bring down shields. But when enemy craft outrun you left and right, out manuver you left and right, and that very very annoying afterburn shake that seems to rock the entire universe was the worst aspect of FS and FS2. You also had to wait just a tad second after letting go of the afterburn key in order for it to engage again! Not something you need to do when dogfighting! It almost was like the afterburn unit needed to reset or something! (blah) Graphics were excellent, storyline ok. One thing that did seem great in FS and FS2 was the fact you could fly a great distance from a craft or base or capship and actually still see the tiny render of it from a distance, instead of it dissapearing all together. The radar in FS and FS2 need to be changed. You cant tell what is above or below you. Only in front or back. (blah) I wouldnt buy any Volition attempt at a WC game unless they did some heavy revamping on how they code space flight!

RFBurns

Originally posted by Napoleon
Zor that is just plain wrong, Origin has done alot for the fans and I shall recount them all to you:
1. WCSO available for free for a limited time, if you didn't get it it is your own damn fault.
2. Making SM1/2 SO1/2 avalable for DL off of sites for free
3. Allowing KS WC1 to be on a mag cd, and probably allowing WCII on one in the near future.
4. Bringing back ultima after many years of not being there, remeber OSI is not a single game universe company, they must satisfy all their fans.
5. Allowing the CIC to host the WCATV episodes

Have I made my point? Just because there hasn't been a new WC in a few years doesn't mean they don't like the fans

1)Many did not know, besides WC P G is no more being sell and if its was free and remove so that WC P G could sell more, why is not back in there (WC P G EA classic? )
2)Its was to be on KS but they forget to put it in there.
3)I have played U8 and U9, let me put this way, U9 sucks big time (besides we need a P VIII with 100000 RAM and a super terminator with 1000 RAM to propely run it)and its was Lord Brittish last game (and he make sure that the avatar series comes to a end in more that one way).
5)I am unsure in how the CIC is allowed to host WCATV episodes but sould not be the network that make the series the one that holds the rights for WCATV?

RfBruns, I liked FS and FS2 for many of the points you criticized. The enemies were a challenge, that shock when you engage the ABs made me really feel I was going faster and that your ABs have to pause is quite similar to Priv1. And as far as I remember (it has been some time, though) the bombers were more sluggish than the fighters.
But I guess that is all again a matter of taste.

Dragon: First off Ultima Online was released because the fans wanted it and it's great amounts of revenue prove that fact. WCSO as I said, if you didn't get it for free it's your own damn fault so stop complaining. WCATV as I understand it was produced by universal with OSI/EA retaining the rights (I think unsure) as such that is how the CIC can get it, hopefully some admin will correct me if I am wrong

Napoleon, You should know that U9 comes afterUO not the other way around (and you should know that the game have several problems during the develepent period about the gameplay), also UO is no longer making the big cash (that honor goes now for Everquest) but now cames another ad on or whatever thoses things are called.
Also I became aware of SO in ....Joystick, I have gone to SO site and download the episodes but I found then in a magazine CD, I buy the mag since having those in CD support (I dont have a Recording CD ROM drive) is safer that in diskettes.
Many complain because the site is still on line and they get pissed because the episodes are no longer in there, its the same as having a TV channel that only gives the 1 st episode of a series and then stop.
And its their fault? why? If one does not know about it since it did not have internet (or goes to Origin website regulary) at that time, how could he know.
And if he download it and the CD/diskettes got damaged, what he can do? ask EA techical support for it?
I unerstand it but there is nothing we can do about it.

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
RfBruns, I liked FS and FS2 for many of the points you criticized. The enemies were a challenge, that shock when you engage the ABs made me really feel I was going faster and that your ABs have to pause is quite similar to Priv1. And as far as I remember (it has been some time, though) the bombers were more sluggish than the fighters.
But I guess that is all again a matter of taste.

The fighters and bombers in FS and FS2 did have distinct characteristics between them. However, given the fact that the Shivan ships far outmanuvered the Terran ships, even the Shivan bombers outmanuvered the Terran fighters, it didnt take long for me to uninstall both of the games! I did go ahead and play both completely thru, probably due to the storyline. The afterburn pause, which was not evident in Privateer unless you burned up your energy reserve, then have to wait a few seconds to recharge, the ones in FS and FS2, even if you had plenty of energy for afterburn, there was that slight half second pause when you release the afterburn, which IMO, hampered flight characteristics. That annoying shake didnt make me feel like the ship was flying faster, simply cause the shaking quit when the ship reached full AB speed. In effect, it seemed like the game coders coded that game like as if you went to a gun fight with a daisy! You barely had any energy on weapons, the AB couldnt keep up with any of the enemy ships, unless you dumped all your energy allocation to engines so they recharged faster, you couldnt cycle the AB like in any of the WC games, where you hit the key, AB kicks in, let go, its off, hit key again it kicks in AB instantly, not a half second later! In a dogfight, that wouldnt cut it!! But dont get me wrong, there are good elements to that game. Just a few things that they could have done alot better, if Volition intended for those 2 games to take up the gap for WC. Oh lets not get into the keystroke steps just to tell your wingman, hey go after this target! All the while, 5 Shivan Dragons are pounding you with missles and guns!!

RFBurns

I liked it that the Shivans had superior ships. It was a change to WC games where you only battle superior numbers of (very) inferior quality. Now, that AB kick was perhaps a bit annoying but it was the same for the enemy. I cannot remember, were there not any hotkeys for "Attack my target" and so? If not then it is really an annoying flaw, I agree.
No game is perfect, I guess (except WC of course :) ).

What I would like in WC, what I am waiting for since WC1: The order "Ignore my target!". Those stupid wingmen stealing my kills! And they should re-add the "Return to base" order.

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
I liked it that the Shivans had superior ships. It was a change to WC games where you only battle superior numbers of (very) inferior quality. Now, that AB kick was perhaps a bit annoying but it was the same for the enemy. I cannot remember, were there not any hotkeys for "Attack my target" and so? If not then it is really an annoying flaw, I agree.
No game is perfect, I guess (except WC of course :) ).

What I would like in WC, what I am waiting for since WC1: The order "Ignore my target!". Those stupid wingmen stealing my kills! And they should re-add the "Return to base" order.

Ya that good ol "ignore my target" was very usefull, since the wingmen had a very bad habit of only shooting at targets you have locked. You rush to your target and guess what....your wingman is shooting at the same target when you told him to take on a different target! :mad:. What I do is simply not give any orders and let them complain that they are ready to fight. If they take a hit, they will defend themselves without me holding their hand. 9 times out of 10 I end up saving their sorry arses cause they attempt to take on the world and get caught with their pants down!!

RFBurns

Yep, I never let them fly on their own too. Especially not in SOPS where you almost in every mission have to fulfil such bonus goals as "Eliminate 75% of all bombers and 50 % of all fighters". That does not encourage team work or sharing kills. :)
What I found amazing was how fast they changed from "Not a scratch!" to "This is ridiculous!".

Back