WC1 + 2 GOG, Couple Questions

Hey gents, been coming to this site off and on for a long, long time now. I just recently went and got the GOG versions of Wing Commander 1 and 2 plus the expansions. I have two questions.

1) How or what do I edit to set invulnerability mode. The dosbox startup shortcut looks like this "C:\Games\Wing Commander 1 and 2\DOSBOX\DOSBox.exe" -conf "..\WC\dosboxWC.conf" -conf "..\WC\dosboxWC_single.conf" -noconsole -c exit

I know the shortcut for the regular wc.exe is wc.exe Origin -k but that doesn't even remotely appear.

2) is there any way to get the direct draw hack working with this as it seems much nicer looking. I put the files in the directory but it doesn't seem to work, again, probably because of dosbox.

Sorry if all this has been asked before, I just really would appreciate any and all help.

there is no direct draw in dos, that's an old windows technology. Are you talking about a Kilrathi Saga Patch? that was specific to Win9x. You can use dosbox's built in scalars such as scalar=hqx3 to smooth the graphics if thats what you want.

Oh ok, I just saw the pics of that direct draw hack in the files section of this site and it looked much better. Dosbox's shortcut just baffles me though. I have no idea how or where to add that to the shortcut to get it to work.

I do not have the GoG release myself, but if I had to guess, you'd want to look in the two listed config files (What comes after the '-conf' options in your dosbox shortcut) One, if not both of them will have an [autoexec] section near the end, which is where the commands that run the games actually are. You can drop in the arguments to enable debug mode and invulnerability on the wc command line there.

They are separate files from the shortcut. Just look where it's pointing.

dosboxWC_single.conf has the following:

[autoexec]

# Lines in this section will be run at startup.

@ECHO OFF

mount C "..\WC"

c:

cls

loadfix -1 wc

exit
Is that what I need to edit? Other than that I'm not sure what to do.

replacing
loadfix -1 wc
with
loadfix -1 wc Origin -k
should do the trick.

Ok, I'll try that out. Which program should I use to keep the format though, notepad or wordpad?

-edit-

Got it working, thanks for the suggestion cff. So back to the other question, is there any way to smooth out the graphics. Where do I add that variable that wcnut suggested?

-edit again-

Think I found it. Thanks all who replied. I really appreciate the help

Back