WC story III

Sylvester

Vice Admiral
Wing Commander: A Shepherd’s Tale
By 1st Lieutenant Joshua “Sylvester” Dworkin

Chapter I

Admiral Riehgart’s office, Perry Naval Base, Vega Sector

“The Yorktown, sir?” asked Colonel Alex Jacob Johnson.
“Yes, Colonel.” Admiral Riehgart replied curtly “The going war with the Nephilim has forced Confed to pull some of its older ships to the front lines to replace destroyed and damaged ones. Since she will be defending the Rostov system, which we have identified as a key route to the heart of Vega Sector, I believe it is necessary to have a commander of your expertise serve as the Yorktown’s wing commander considering the ships ‘limited capabilities’.
“Limited Capabilities, sir” A.J. retorted “Sir, the Yorktown was built before I was born and I’m 34. Her laser turrets need servicing, the life support system is a wreck, she has numerous electrical problems, her engines only function at 75% of capacity and she doesn’t even have a full fighter complement or enough pilot’s for that matter. I was hoping to get command of the Midway’s flight wing since Pat Drake is leaving to assume command of the Fuji.”
“HQ has already selected a candidate to replace Commander Drake. We need you here A.J. I’m ordering the Yorktown to Khumalo station in the Port Hedland system. She be given a overhaul there. You will join her there in 3 days and then the Yorktown will proceed to Rostov.”
“ Yes sir. I know that Captain Mitchell is returning to Sol so who will be the Yorktown’s new CO?” A.J. inquired.
“ Captain Mac Donald. I believe you are aquatinted with him?”
“Eric! Well that’s some good news. I graduated flight school with him. He’s a good man. Last time I served with him is when we both were on Concordia when she went down in ‘69.”
“Here is the roster of the current pilots on the ship plus some that will join you at Khumalo” A.J. skimmed the list until he came to “Evans, Matt P. 1st Lt.”
“Sir, this pilot, Lt. Evans, I request that he be taken of the roster sir.”
“May I inquire into why?”
“He’s a loose cannon sir. An excellent pilot but doesn’t respect authority. I learned that when I served with him on the Falcon.”
“Well Colonel , It’s your decision but I don’t have a pilot to replace him.”
“Al right then, I guess I’ll have to deal with him.”
“Good man. dismissed.”

On approach to TCS Yorktown CV-5, Khumalo Station, Port Hedland system.

A.J. circled his fighter around the stern of the old carrier. “Omega lead to Yorktown, request landing clearance”
“Clearance granted Colonel, bring her on in.”
“Copy that Yorktown” A.J. brought his Panther level with the Yorkie’s landing deck. He eased back on the throttle and sailed gently in. He touched his fighter down with barely a noise. This is how he earned the moniker “Whisper”. It occurred back on the Concordia in 2668. He had landed his fighter and had walked up right behind Sparks while she was mentioning to her crew chief that “Johnson better had not beat up that Rapier again or I’ll…”
“Hi Sparks” he had said
“A.J.!, when did you land?”
“Five minutes ago, I’ve just been standing here”
“Damn, I could have been whispering and not heard you.”
As A.J. recalled this moment, a young ensign hurried up to him and crisply saluted. “Good to have you here Colonel. I’m Ensign Monroe. Captain Mac Donald wants to see you on the bridge sir.”
“Thank you ensign.” A.J. replied
“After your done sir, stop by the Yorkie Pub.”
“Excuse me?”
“Oh, It’s what we call the rec. room. Come by at 1830, were having a little musical concert.”
“I’ll try to make it ensign.”
“Hope you can, sir.” and Monroe hurried off. Hmm, A.J. thought, maybe this tour won’t be as bad as I thought and he proceeded down the corridor to the lift.

Comments :) ? It's only about 20% of the chapter but I wanted to get comments before I go too far.

Perry is in Gemini.

By the way, how much of your dialogue/plot were you going to lift from WC3? Just curious.

Sylvester said:
I wanted to get comments before I go too far.

I'll answer that with a quote from WC4.

James "Paladin" Taggart said:
I think we've heard enough . . .

overmortal said:
Perry is in Gemini.

By the way, how much of your dialogue/plot were you going to lift from WC3? Just curious.

What do you mean. I don't remember the dialogue from III since I haven't played it since '99

Parallels between your first scene and the Tolwyn/Blair scene of WC3.

"Excuse me, sir . . . did you say the Victory?"

Experienced pilot/wc in the office of an admiral, being assigned to an old, beat up ship that they don't want to be assigned to.

"The (ship name here) will benefit greatly from having a wing commander of your stature and experience."

Then, aboard the victory, Blair insists that ralgha be reinstated to the flight roster, which your character mimics, only requesting that someone be taken off instead. Original . . way original, man.

Overmortal: It's a little early to condemn this altogether, isn't it?

Sylvester: "She be given ..." Arr, me hearties! ;) Missing an 'll? Here you go.
Aside from the usual stereotype-alert (you do NOT want stereotypes), it doesn't look like a disaster. Keep going.

Mystery muppet said:
It's a little early to condemn this altogether, isn't it?

Along with other things such as saving up for college and learning how to fire a gun, it's never too early.

Also, looking again, if this fella is gonna be the WC of the ship, then he wouldn't really have to request that his pilot be added/removed from the flight roster. He's the WC, so he has the power to do it himself. I'm not sure what Blair's problem was in WC3. He should have said "Well, my first act as Wing Commander aboard the VIctory is to reinstate Colonel Ralgha to full combat flight status, cause I'm the WC now and it's my perogative . . . just like having certain asshole Majors polish my brass for me."

Full Chapter up by Mid October

BTW. the Yorktown is Concordia Class

Heres a design for a ship I might want to have appear.

CONCEPT DESIGN

Andromeda Class Battleship
Length: 1635 meters
Mass: 187,500 MT
Velocity: 75/90 kps
Acceleration: 32 kps^2
Y/P/R: 6/6/6
Shields: Phase
Bridge Armor: 3200 cm
Launcher: 2500 cm
Hanger: 2500 cm
Turret: 900 cm
Armament: (5) Dual Plasma Turrets, (8) Dual Ion Turrets, (14) Point Defense Dual Mass Turrets, (15) CIWS Turrets, (2) Torpedo Tubes, (3z2) IR Missile Launcher
Fighters: (12) Light, (18) Medium (18 Heavy) (10) Bomber (4) Marine LC (3) Shuttle (2) AWACS (67) Total
Jump Capable: Yes

Ships: TCS Andromeda BB-35, Operational. TCS Orion BB-36. Under Construction. 2 planned

I just have aquestion, should I use the Tallahassee or a new class of Crusier. I woudn't use the Plunkett because it would seem like overkill for this type of battlegroup.

Although he's the WC, he still needs to report personel changes to the ships captain, as it is the captains ship not the WCs, and the captain should of reasons for changes on a flight roster, he needs to know whos protectiong his vessel and of any conflicts between pilots.

Back