WC Science 101

pendal, I said that the tachyons cause damage by taking energy (kinetic, electric, etc.) way from the targets in an attempt to reaccelerate back to speeds above the speed of light. Simply nature trying to acheive an equilibrium.

hahaha all you scientific type peoples...

I'm doing law :)

Anyways, what I don't understand is why we have a speed limit of c in the first place. Why does matter tend to infinite mass when it approaches it. Is it just Einsteins ramblings? Has something actually been propelled to near light speed (obviously not) and been found to increase in mass?

I say its all a conspiracy!

Ah, it's just physics. :) I mean, I've liked sciency stuff since I was a kid, but I don't see it as a viable career path for me.

But I think a lot of it is just theory. Apparently time slows to a stop near the speed of light too. There was an experiment a few months ago where something was appeared to travel faster than light... but I forgot what they did exactly.

Light is very interesting... I mean, I think there's supposed to be evidence of light being made up of both rays (EM radiation) and particles (photons).

Akwende discovered anti-graviton drift in 2214 during such an experiment -- but she didn't jump anywhere (the drive is named after her, not because she invented it).

Her discovery formed the basis of the first Terran jump drive prototypes experiments in 2588 (a jump from Sol to Polaris). The Pilgrims had been using jump drives since the early 2500's, though, and it's probable that they're the ones who used tachyons (a notation that comes from the WCP Guide).

Originally posted by Wedge009
Ah, it's just physics. :) I mean, I've liked sciency stuff since I was a kid, but I don't see it as a viable career path for me.

But I think a lot of it is just theory. Apparently time slows to a stop near the speed of light too. There was an experiment a few months ago where something was appeared to travel faster than light... but I forgot what they did exactly.

Light is very interesting... I mean, I think there's supposed to be evidence of light being made up of both rays (EM radiation) and particles (photons).

Definitely not a career path. More like the path to eternal lack of a life. That's why I'm doing it - Must get into the quantum computing research group!

Well if you think about Einstein's thought experiment where you're sitting on a beam of light and travelling away from something it all makes sense. If the fastest information can travel is the speed of light, the faster we go the longer it takes for that information to get to us. So everything not in your frame of reference seems to slow down.

The experiment was shooting a laser into this ultra optically dense exotic gas stuff and the gas would basically recreate the laser at the other side before the shot light physically got there. I forget all the details. Could have some interesting networking applications.

Light is a wave and particles at the SAME time. It makes sense after spending 3 hours thinking about it.

redfox: There's no defined upper limit. You could theoretically exceed the speed of light. The closer you get to c the more mass you gain the harder for you to actually get to c. i.e it gets increasingly difficult to accelerate every time. Since you can't travel faster than c it'll get infinitely more difficult because you'll gain infinitely
more mass. Think of it like this. KE= 0.5mv^2. v < c. But if we had infinite energy we can gain infinite velocity. But the inequality must hold. So where does that energy go? m!

Yes, things have been propelled to near light speed and been observed to gain mass. You could do stuff like that to electrons, neutrons, protons ... electrons can actually travel at almost 0.9c.

P.S Law isn't exactly my idea of a career either. Nobody likes lawyers :p

[Edited by steampunk on 06-16-2001 at 11:33]

Nobody likes lawyers. Hell, I don't like many of my fellow students. But if it means money, I'M THERE!

Besides, I blame it on our civilisation and science for not providing me with the career path I want, neigh, DESERVE!

That, of a starfighter pilot!

I'm sure that goes for the rest of this august chat zone. (hehe august, never thought I'd use that word. Thank you WCIV) :)

As for the speed of light. BAH... I WILL travel one day at FASTER than light speeds. I just don't know when. :)

Of course you can exceed the speed of light, because the speed of light hasn't always been the current speed of light. It's slowing down.

(Why people always bring up these topics on the CZ is beyond me, given the utter lack of physics in Wing Commander (thank God))

Slowing down? Explain!

Yes...a lack of physics does make WC fun. Hmmmm, for some odd reason I'm humming the Dr Who theme!

A theory says light moved a lot faster in the early days of the universe, and has been slowing down since.

Originally posted by KrisV
(Why people always bring up these topics on the CZ is beyond me, given the utter lack of physics in Wing Commander (thank God))

i would like a WC done in flight simulater style. though it wouldn't be too popular.

Whoa! The dogfighting would take forever...
Imagine all the time it would take for a spaceship to change its course into another direction, or simply do a 180º when at full thrust...

Originally posted by Wedge009
I'm curious, Quarto, what do you do again? I'm not keen on law either, but was that outburst neccessary?
Well, nothing is really necessary...

..But yeah, I guess that was sorta necessary, simply because I felt like it :). I study international relations and French - I'm a pureblooded humanities student.

Originally posted by KrisV

Wing Commander has phyics, its own, but it still as physics. What it does have makes sence when taken it the construct of the Wing Commander Universe. Some of these ingame theories may have real life possibilites too.

Business? No, IR is humanities - it's basically really up-to-date history, with a bit of future studies.

Back