WC RPG Discussion Thread

Chicken

Spaceman
This will be my official WC RPG discussion thread where I'll lay down idea for the RPG. First off I'll establish what the hell's going on and initial planning:

WC RPG will utilize the RPG Toolkit engine, a very powerful tool for those not enslaved to pirated copies of Enterbrain's RPG maker series. This tool supports a wide variety of mediums, while not perfect or what everyone wants, it supports object oriented programming and gets better with each incarnation.

Initial Plans:

Right now I'm still building an overall game design, from the world to battle system. However there are a couple things that I will adress:

1. It's Wing Commander

2. Canon is very important, but any deviations/fan creations will be designed to fit into the Wing Commander Universe - essentially Wing Commander in design and function.

3. A lot is still in the design and planning stage, I could use suggestions though. I have plans to expand the RPG to a full blown team, but that's when enough material is gathered and I feel 'secure' to venture from my solo venture.

4. This is an RPG, but I'm looking into possibly: a) adding a flight engine like Flight Commander of Vegastike, because Toolkit can support a lot of stuff, or b) I'll create my own arcade style in-game flight engine.

You can't have a WC RPG without flying and shooting down Kilrathi :D

WC RPG mechanics unveiled

Figure I should explain how the current development will be setup

Game Mechanics:

1. RPG Elements - Characters, Stats, Menus, General Gamplay, Leveling, etc.
2. Combat - Battle System, Abilities, Enemies, etc.
3. Items - Everything from weapons to medkits
4. Flight Engine - See if its possible to integrate an existing engine or create an arcade style flight engine.
5. Coding Woes - Making sure the coding is sound!
6. Plot - Continuously evolving

Graphical Mechanics:

1. Game Sprites - Character Sprites, Battle Sprites, Ship sprites, effects, etc
2. Game Style/Menus - Look of the game and menus
3. Game Tiles - Backgrounds, renders, etc. used to build the Wing Commander world - still debating whether it'll be isometric or else a combo of tiles and renders.
4. Movies/Cinematics - RPG toolkit supports avi and flash movies! This is still an unknown portion of the project.

Music/Sound Effects:

1. Game Music - Pretty self explanatory, plan to use tracks from the Wing Commander games and might contact composers for unique pieces
2. Sound Effects - Plan to use some Wing Commander and Privateer sfx, but also need to create custom sounds. Covers battle to game sounds.

I'm still waiting for the polls, but the design aspect is gaining some steam and I'm going to have a word with the folks at the Toolkit community about the patch and ability to integrate a flight engine.

Recruiting - No longer a solo operation

It looks I'm going to need some assistance, there's a wee bit too much for one man to do. Looking for some folks to help in the design phase:

Co-Project Manager
Technical Advisors
Canon Police
Group Motivator [Read: Kick team ass for progress]
Co-Artistic Manager
SFX Manager

Back