WC Rankings mixed up?

gevatter Lars

Vice Admiral
WC Rangings mixed up?

I have just taken a look into the WC3 manuell...and..well it could be a translation error, but are there some ranks mixed up?

Lets look at the officers ranks...Maniac is a Major and Eisen is a Captain..look at the book.
Me Major is above Captain...so Maniac could tell Eisen what to do?
I think here is something quite wrong.

*Takes out WC1 Manuel*

2nd Lt
1st Lt
Captain
Major
Lt Colonel
Colonel
-> Rangs for fighter Pilots

I think that it could be possible that a Capship Captain is something different then a fighter captain.

Beside that...where has the 2nd+1st Lt be gone in WC3? Are they now just Lt without the difference?

I think it could be quite helpfull to have one common rankinglist.
Since I have nearly no knowledge about military rankings today, maybe someone else could to a good list.

*shakes his head in shame*

Lars, Eisen is a NAVY Captain. A NAVY Captain is the equivilent of a Space Force Colonel.

As I said I known almost nothing about any military structure.
Beside that..its a little bit confusing...the translated Navy with Marine...what lets me think they meant the Marine that board ships and so.

Your manual should have two lists of ranks. Here's the English version: http://wingcommander.by.ru/VS/Streak08.html

You compare the ranks with their grade (O1, O2, etc) and not their name. A line Captain (O8) is equivalent to a Space Forces Colonel (O8).

(Not that this matters - whoever is assigned the *position* of Captain onboard a ship has absolute command of that ship... an Ensign who is captain of a ship will be above anyone else aboard, no matter their rank.)

I think it was in End Run where it mentions the scenario of a junior Lt. (space forces) piloting a fighter with an Admiral in the back seat, and the Admiral would have to take orders from the Lt because he's the "captain" of the fighter. Of course, it goes on to say that there may be possible reprocussions after the fighter has landed.

Seams as if someone at the translation made something to get the rankings to german...so its called a overLt not 1st Lt. and the Lt. Colonel is a Oberstlt.
That was what confuses me I think...well know that I have got the english manual (thanks to LOAF) I can finaly use that and sort out all my mixups in the storyline.

Captain's O8 LOAF? That link shows it as O6. :)

dacis2: Read closer:

Flag Ranks
Brigadier General (07)
Lieutenant General (08)
Major General (09)
General (010)

Captain's O8 LOAF? That link shows it as O6.

Yes, I meant O6.

no General of the Space Force?

No. The five star General rank was created and used only during World War II, as a means of preventing British Field Marshalls from outranking American generals.

Considering he used O8 twice, you gotta love typos.

The error would make significantly less sense had I been right once - since the point was to show that the two ranks were equal.

Back