WC Prophecy Gold under Win2000

No. Windows 2000 uses NT. I can't seem to get any Wing Commander games to work with it. Sorry.

------------------
Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

A word of advice to everyone: Win 2000 is buggy as hell. Nothing works on it and it crashes endlessly. Ever try to play Unreal Torunament on it? Never in my life have I spent 2 hours screaming and cursing at a computer. Best thing to do is change to Win 98.

A word of advice: take these sort of things to the tech support section. Besides, I understand that the Windows NT series was never meant to be a games platform.

Yeah, very true. Which amazes me that so many people just went out and got Win2K as soon as it hit the store shelves. Some people are really desperate to spend their cash to upgrade something that doesn't need upgrading.
smile.gif
Only last year did I switch from Win 95 to Win98SE, and there wasn't much difference, same with WinME.

Ice Viper, just because UT doesn't work on it, doesn't mean the OS is buggy. It's not designed to handle games. Yes, some games will run on it, but it's meant for businesses, and IMO it's prety good at that role. I've used Win2K on my friends comp, and it's sure as hell more stable and faster than any Win OS I've seen so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only last year did I switch from Win 95 to Win98SE, and there wasn't much difference, same with WinME.
Really? After suffering with Win95, I was veery impressed with Win98, which was far more stable. I dinna ken know about WinME though, since I haven't seen that 'un in action yet. I hear though that it's once again an improvement in terms of speed and stability though.

The only improvement I saw was slightly increased speed. But the comp still crashes on fairly regular basis.
smile.gif

Okies ... thanks for answers ...

as for W2000 in general - dunno - I like it a lot - no crashes, good security ... and Asheron's Call works just fine!
smile.gif

I realise NT isn't meant as a gaming platform but as a more stable OS, you'd think it be able to run any program better. Including games. Of course there's also things like crap DirectX support to consider which is more likely to be the cause of NT's bad game performance ...

On a nother note, I heard a rumor that Linux might start supporting DirectX. And we all know what that means ...

Here's the deal on Win2K. While Win2K is much mores stable NT-dervied OS, it has trouble running some games for the following reasons. It is based losely on the NT kernel, but is much different than NT. It has much better harware support for one thing. The big reason NT doesn't support most games has to do w/ 32 bit/16bit processing conflicts and one other thing (explained momentarily). Win2K runs more games with less problems because it lacks that problem and much better hardware support. However, like WinNT, it tries to block direct interaction w/ hardware that is not filtered through Windows first. Most games do this in some way or another, and therefore Win2K has a tendency to cause them to crap out. Of your remaining, non-Win2K platforms for gaming, go Win98SE; it is by far the most stable and widely compatible of all your options, and unlike ME, you can still load DOS. As an interesting side note incomparing ME to 98SE; IE5.5 actually runs fractionally faster under 98SE than under ME
smile.gif
If you want the best of both worlds, all I can say is one word: Partition.

oh yeah; and don't forget a copy of Mandrake 7.1 in there either, Kris
wink2.gif
but th@t iz 0nly f0r 3|337 hax0rz
wink2.gif

Back