WC Platform

Pedro said:
but it was only by using the mouse and keyboard that I was able to complete Halo on legendary.

I have a Saitek gamepad. Dual sticks, 11 buttons, works well. I was able, barely, to beat Halo on legendary that way. Then, I started playing with the mouse and keyboard setup. Huge difference.

I've always used a joystick for any flightsim/arcade style game, so I'm biased. :p

But, Freelancer proved to me that with good controls, a mouse can work well in a flight/arcade game.

IIRC, didn't the xbox version of halo have auto-aim? I think they did away with that with the pc version since a mouse/keyboard setup tends to be much more accurate.

I dumped $30 on my new joystick, which I thought was exorbitant. But then, I hadn't bought a joystick in nearly a decade.

I agree with most of what you said Ed, but there are some games better suited in my opinion for gamepads. Splinter Cell and also the Metal Gear series. Having to flatten against a wall and wait for someone to walk by, then jumping out to hold them up, isn't something I would want to do with a keyboard and mouse. But for the most part I prefer PC controls over gamepads.

Edfilho said:
As for the analog stick vs the WASD, well, 256 levels in such a small "travel" is REALLY sensitive. 90% of the games employ just 4 to 12 levels, probably. It is quite easy and simple to simulate that like they did in Splinter Cell on the PC, where you can set Fischer's speed with the mouse well. We all just toggle between tip-toe and mad-dashes directly, anyway.

Even if you're only using a dozen directions and a dozen levels of sensitivity, you're getting far more control over the movement of the character. It's a trade off, but since my style of play now revolves around getting behind people and outmaneuvering them rather than sniping from a distance, it's one that I need to use a controller for.

Edfilho said:
And Chris, aren't those controllers to be used with just the game that came bundled (and a few others, released specially to work with them)?

Depends on the game. The Steel Battalion controller is designed for just two XBox games, but the PS2 Joystick there can be used for any flying game.

Why does it always have to be one or the other? Just play an FPS with mouse for aiming AND joystick for moving?! Might LOOK stupid, but if it works? For example I did play Freelancer with (programmable) Throttle and Mouse...

Using a left handed joystick (when you can find a good one) would be a new skill. I'm great with a left thumbstick, but I'd be awkward using my entire left hand.

Edit:
The Steel Battalion double-joystick above addresses this slightly. The left joystick actually only has a left-right axis. You tilt it to the side, unlike the right joystick with the full range of motion. The left joystick does have a thumb hat switch that gets a whole lot of use however, and you throttle/flip switches with the left hand as well.

Same here, I might be able to utilize my left fingers on a gamepad or keyboard, but my left arm as a whole is pretty useless. :D

The PSX Versions are great. Never tried them with the Fightstick, but acording to LOAF, it's a great little thing

I'd love to get a joystick for the xbox...that would be a blast. Maybe they'll come out with something for the y-box 2 (TM by Loaf).

Back