WC Physics

Pretty much. Your Gun goes missing and you end up flying missions for many of the same folks you flew for in Priv. The situation in Gemini seems more desperate, but the profit margins are better. I remember food was much more expensive than in Priv. The Retro's leader was working with the former govenor of Gemini and the Kilrathi. The retros were getting better ships in the bargin, Menesch was making money and the Kilrathi were letting the Retros tie up Confed and getting intelligence from the Retros. I always wanted to see some kind of Retro/Mandarin alliance, but both groups were crippled, the Mandarins more than the retros, so I'm not surprised it never happened.

[Edited by Shane on 03-16-2001 at 16:48]

Knowledge is to be shared! I will be happy to inform! I personally liked the Tachyons more than anything, they had the right balance of energy drain and damage potential compared to the Fusion cannons.

As to the beefed up Centurion. Heres how to beef it up.

1. Grab the proggie "PREDIT". Linked in the files section at the CIC files page.

2. Start RF from the beginning. You have the famous Tarsus ship. Sell all accessories so there is nothing but the ship itself. Save the game. The saved game will have the file extension .prs

3. Copy this new saved file and name it different. Change the extension from .prs to .sav.

4. Load the PREDIT program and have it open your saved game with the .sav extension.

5. In the menu, change the ship to the Orion Class. Give yourself some credits so you can use the credits later. Enough to buy the level 7 engines and sheilds for the Orion, or load up level 5 engines and level 5 shields. Save the file.

6. Rename the extension of the just edited file to .prs.

7. Start RF and load your edited save game file.

8. Head over to the repair and upgrade and purchase level 7 engines and 6 shields. Do not purchase anything else!! Save the file again.

9. Rename that file extension again to .sav, and load it up in PREDIT once again. Select ship type and select the Centurion. Save the file. Then rename the extension to .prs.

10. Start RF and load your edited save game again. You now have a Centurion with level 7 engines and level 6 shields, the engines wont show in the hanger, the ship will appear as if no engine upgrades are loaded, but you can look in the item list under "sell" and your new level 7 engine and level 6 shield will appear, meaning you have those on your craft. The engine may appear damaged, but dont worry, buy the repair droid and he will fix it right up. Dont be suprised if the repair of the engine racks up to over a million credits! Ignore this and let the repair droid fix it for free. It will take aprox 20 mins for the fast droid to fix up the engines. The damaged engine will not hamper your guns or shield charge rates.

This will give the Centurion level 7 engines (game max) and level 6 shields (or any other shield level you desire, up to level 11 that the PREDIT will allow you to choose).

Quite a few steps to go thru but it works!! It definately helps during that battle with Jone's elite guard loaded up with those copies of the Steltek gun!! Although I completed the game long before I found the editor and a way to beef up the ship, it did make the game a bit more exciting, especially going thru that asteroid field taking on Jone's goons!! They somehow like to lead you into that asteroid field!

If you listen carefully during your battle with Jone's hords when you jump into Eden, the copy of the Steltek guns sound is the giveaway. It uses the same sound as the tractor beam. Long after you defeat Jones and win the game, some of the Kilrathi ships still have that copy of the gun, you can listen to the sound when they fire at you, which has the same sound as the Retro's copy of the Steltek gun, which uses the tractor beam sound. This hinted to me that some of the missions where you take on more Kilrathi do in fact still have that copy of the Steltek gun. That is the reason why I went thru the trouble to find a way to beef up my Centurion. Since they still have it, I want beefier engines and shields!! It worked too!
Enjoy!! :)

RFBurns

[Edited by RFBurns on 03-16-2001 at 17:13]

Thank you both RFburns and Shane. It sounds complicated to get these upgrades and as I do not play Priv1 at the moment, it will be some time until I try it. Do these upgrades really make such a difference?
And the Retros having Steltek copies? My memory is so bad, it is almost annoying (I replayed RF just sth like 3 months ago). I can remember those Retro fighters that looked like the Shok'lar from Armada but I thought they only had Particle cannons. And the Kilrathi Dralthi mounts 2 Laser and one Fusion as far as I recall. What do those Steltek copies look like?

In the RF run of Privateer, the Retros stole Brownhair's Steltek gun. They then copied the gun and made deals with the Kilrathi. The Kilrathi wanted copies also, so they gave the Retros those stripped down versions of their ships. The ships did have particle guns. Jone's elite guard however, were loaded up with the copies of the Steltek gun. Since they traded with the Kilrathi, the Kilrathi 6th fleet were outfitted with the copy of the Stetek gun. Commander Kahl (spelling?) was the one that made the deal with Gov. Menesch who was the one that actually set up the theft of Brownhairs Steltek gun.

As to the modifications on the Centurion, it made a very big difference! You can AB with full shields and not drain your energy at all! You can also fire while full shields and AB and the drain is not heavy at all! Energy to burn!!

As to powergaming, well a little experimenting after finishing it without modifying it isnt a bad thing is it?

RFBurns

[Edited by RFBurns on 03-16-2001 at 17:59]

Thanks again RFBurns. Having the ability to AB constantly IS a big advantage, I agree :).

LOAF, what do you mean it is no real thing? I took the expression from RPG, meaning that your hero can do everything (mostly fighting though) with no drawback and no reasonable relation. But I guess, you already knew what powergaming means... :)
It is just that I would find it outof relation when you could buy a gun that was as strong as the Steltek 1 just a year later. Would not have encouraged searching the Steltek, would it?

I've just never heard 'powergaming' applied to an action game... it just doesn't seem to make sense that way (G)

Those details I knew -- but I've got a ripped RF script around here somewhere I can check them against if you want...

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
I've just never heard 'powergaming' applied to an action game... it just doesn't seem to make sense that way (G)

Those details I knew -- but I've got a ripped RF script around here somewhere I can check them against if you want...

No need to check, I believe you. I am just amazed by your memory. It is very amazing for me indeed, because mine is so bad sometimes.

I use Powergaming everytime sth seems to me comletely out of relation towards other things that belong to that problem. E.g. if one thing (ship/gun/race/...) is superior to another in every aspect.

I once tried using an editor to get level 11 engines/shields, but I didn't like the look of the damaged component and high repair costs, even if the repair droid fixes it. I can accept 6 steltek level 2 guns in Priv :)D) but exaggerated engines/shields... erm, no.

Originally posted by RFBurns
This hinted to me that some of the missions where you take on more Kilrathi, [they] do in fact still have that copy of the Steltek gun.
I don't recall hearing the 'clicking' noise other than in Eden, with the Retros flying Kilrathi ships.

Yes, 6 Steltek Level2 guns, that is OK, they give you only a slight advantage, which is almost set off by the massive energy drain ( :) ) but boosted engines/shields... that is low! :D

Back