WC Movie was Starlancer Preview

Perhaps you're forgeting that this little 20 ton (9 ton actually:))fighter was damaged after jumping a gravity well, and it was running out of fuel...

A sivar does not chase "CAsey" because there is no casey. As for a sivar chasing blair its not a sivar, its a Snakeir

Again another point in space a larger ship will be faster than a fighter because it has no wieght (practly no wieght, there is always a little gravity) and thus the only thing that matters as to speed is engine thrust and proximaty to a gravwell. This means that it is unrealistic for a fighter to outfly a capship unless they are in orbit of a planet or are in the atmosphere itself. Most SciFi shows/games/books/movies get this wrong.

There is, however, still mass in space. A larger ship must overcome more inertia. A larger ship will have slower acceleration yet it will be capable of higher speeds.

TC

OK 9 ton Figther and its not Casey, but Blair and its not a sivar, its a Snakeir. But a Fighter in WC is always Faster that a Starship. Besides if a ship would go Too fast in space it will throw its crew from one side to the other. so they must be limits on its speed.

That's why the ships in WC have the internal dampening, or whatever it's called. Without it the crew would end up as blood stains on the walls.

And like I said, Blair's fighter was damaged, a little Rapier is not exactly designed to jump through gravity wells, and a jump uses tons of fuel. Additionally, Blair didn't use his AB's untill near the Scylla, because they would use up the fuel even faster.

My dear little Dragon, what in the unholly hell does Star Trek technology have to do with WC tech? The names might be the same, and the concept similar, but they might work completly different.

We do know that the Tarawa and others like her, are capable of traveling over 10,000 klicks per second with scoops almost fully closed. And there are plenty of smaller faster capships as well as fighters, so even if the dampening has it's limits, it'll still let you do quite a lot.

The internal dampening fields work by creating atrificial gravatiy, so things dont float around the ship.
And were did you see the Tarawa?
I DONT HAVE THE BOOKS.
So I dont know what are you talking about.
Besides things have to look realistic, if starships were as fast as a fighter, there would not be fighters since that role could be fill by creating Gunships.
And we dont know how fast Blair was goin or the Snakeir speed, and Blair seeing that the Snakeir was going after Earth decided on that plan, luring that ship on a trap, If you have the movie (I dont) see the last part, blair does not have Fuel to reach Earth or the Concordia so he comes up with that plan.The Snakier belives that blair is going to alert the fleet (the tranpoder alerting the danger zone) and goes after him, blair just have to keep that ship on his tail long enoght so It does not quit and goes for Earth.

Originally posted by Dragon
And were did you see the Tarawa?
I DONT HAVE THE BOOKS.
So I dont know what are you talking about.
That's OK, that's why I'm here, to educate all of you.:)<j/k>
The Tarawa first appears in End Run.

Besides things have to look realistic, if starships were as fast as a fighter, there would not be fighters since that role could be fill by creating Gunships.

Yes, fighters are faster, but under certain circumstances it is possible for capships to move faster.

And we dont know how fast Blair was goin or the Snakeir speed,
Blair was going at about 80% speed as stated by the movie novel, while the Snakier would most likelly push it's engines to the limit in order to intercept Blair.
and Blair seeing that the Snakeir was going after Earth decided on that plan, luring that ship on a trap,
Actually, luring the Snakier into the Scylla wasn't his original plan. At first Blair thought he was heading for the fleet, and only when he was very close did he decide to try and kill the dreadnought that way. But, Blair did almost get caught by the Scylla by himself.

Dragon, if you cared to notice, you would see that there are two speeds given to just about every WC ship. One is called the Cruise Speed, and the other is called the [Battle] Max Speed. Also, in latter games some ships are given the True Max Speed. These three speeds tell us a lot. You see fighters always have higher cruise and battle speeds than cap ships. This is because fighter have less mass and therefore more manuverable than caps. The energy saved from turning is added to the forward thrust. However, cap ships always haev higher true max speeds. Max speed is always proportional to engine size and the amount of fuel on board, and cap ships always have the biggest engines and fuel supply.

I'm really not all that great with physics, but I do know that the only place you can escape gravity completely in in DEEP space, where there are no planets or other massive bodies for billions and billions of miles to generate a grav field. Deep space is also extremely dark, because like I said all stars are extremely far away. Perhaps what limited gravity there is in normal system space still has enough of an effect on objects of larger mass to adversely effect their speed. To support my point, NASA has sent probes out into space, which should logically remain at a constant speed because of the lack of gravity, yet they are slowing down mysteriously... Which brings up my next point; there is far too much that we don't know about space to understand how everything works, which is why even Steven Hawking could not completely, 100% surely say that the flight physics of wing commander are wrong. Perhaps Capships are purposely designed to travel slower because their higher mass would mean that they would have to expend more energy in slowing down because of their inertia(which, gravity or no gravity, an object in space would have). THe lower speed could also be because a CapShip's low maneuverability would have it crashing into planets and other gravity wells and spatial anomalies because it would have too much speed and inertia to compensate. That brings up my final point; despite having sensors, a CapShip never has a 100% clear picture of what's in front of it, and traveling at extremely high speeds, with or without all that phase shielding and armor, would be lethal even if whatever it ran into was very small, such as a basketball sized meteorite. Fighters could go faster because they have the maneuverability to avoid obstacles at the last second.

Oh, and Dragon, the Yamato does have the big cannon. In fact, from what i can tell, almost all of the CapShips in the game have it except for the destroyers.

DragonMage: Gravity drops off incredibly rapidly as it decreases as a square of distance. The reason our probes are slowing down is because of the sun's gravitational influence. Remember that while traveling through our solar system they used slingshots to greatly increase their speed while using almost no fuel. They can no longer do that so the sun's gravitational pull (though very weak) is affecting their speed. And yes, WC Physics are very wrong. Almost all space games do not accuratly depict physics (though for reasons of fun). You did hit the nail on the head though about inertia. A massive ship once moving could not turn easily nor slow down without a massive expenditure of energy. The most efficent form of space travel is slowly but constantly accelerating for a full half of the trip, then slowing down at the same rate for the other half.

Let me say this before I blow up.
here it goes.
NOBODY KNOWS THE WAY A STARSHIP WITH THE TECNOLOGY OF THE WING COMMANDER SERIES WILL BEHAVE IN SPACE. EVERTHING YOU ARE SAYING IS EXPECULATION.

there, its out..
Boy are you guys from NASA of something...

[Edited by Dragon on 01-24-2001 at 22:21]

Speculation, yes much of it is. But many things in WC are impossible as they have it. Inertial compensators can be possible be made but if their fighters are only fusion powered then they seriously lack the power to manipulate gravity. I can "see" how if you had a M/AM engine you could possible generate enough power to warp gravitational fields. Space (which I truly wish it wasn't so) isn't going to have any simple and magical answers so we can travel among the stars as easy as they do on Star Trek. We have enough hard science to say that without a doubt. I remain optimistic that we may someday travel among the stars though. Perhaps if a stable wormhole could be created (but generating enough exotic matter or negative energy and keeping the wormhole from imploding on itself is quite a challenge) it could be done. We won't be able to truely push a ship past lightspeed though (I'm talking true velocity, not reletive) and the energy requirement to even get that close are obscene. Here is some more info on it if you want to check it out ( http://www.sff.net/people/Brian_A_Hopkins/ftl.htm )

Pssh , you still haven't figured out how to keep the wormhole from imploding. The only thing that needs to be done is to reroute power to the wormhole stabilization device from the main deflector dish ;) . Well with that out of the way ,what next theories on how to transmute wood to gold? Anyone interested be sure to catch up on your reading.

http://www.avesta.org/agrippa/agrippa1.htm

Back