WC Movie was Starlancer Preview

Dragonmage

Spaceman
I was just watching the WC movie on HBO the other night when I saw some very interesting things. FIrst off, the main gun sound effect for the Confed Rapiers is also used in Starlancer as the effect for (i believe) the Gatling Laser. Likewise, the Broadsword bomber flown by Paladin was EXTREMELY similar to the class of torpedo bomber flown by Gamma Wing in Starlancer, because unlike the Broadsword, which was very wide and stubby looking(hence the name BROADsword), but in the movie it was long and thin, and it launched four extremely large torpedoes just like the Gamma Wing bombers from Starlacer. Now here's the kicker... Take a look at the movie Snakeir carrier and the Kilrathi battleship that the Tiger's Claw engages after leaving the asteroid crater. Both of them look almost exactly like the ANS Reliant, with the same modular-style of construction(although the snakeir has several extremely large guns which are best seen as it falls in to the Scylla black hole). Has anyone else seen the movie and seen the same things? My personal theory is that since Chris Roberts directed the WC movie and Digital Anvil did all of the computer effects, that they either used the movie as a preview for starlancer, or when making starlancer, they used simplified versions of the models from the Movie effects either because they liked the look of them or needed to save time and/or money. Any other thoughts???

That is true, Playing Starlancer is Like Playing Wing Commander, The movie, Remeber the way that CapShips Fight in the game? Just like in the movie, Lauching Torpedos.

Earth are you talking about in the WCM or Starlancer becuase in WCM the capship lasers are only used twice, once very short during the Kilrathi Cruiser vs Claw battle and then during the concordia fleet vs the kilrathi fleet

I'm pretty sure they were fired more than twice in the movie...:)

Seriously, the guns are used at least as often as the torps.

Yes I only saw the same things on the movie as Napoleon
says and in the game I dont remenber seeing CapShips using anything else that Torps.
I can,of course, be mistaken.

[Edited by Dragon on 01-20-2001 at 20:22]

I have the movie on tape, belive me, I've seen it enough times to know that torpedoes aren't the only weapons used by capships...

They most definitely use other weapons, at least on two or three occasions (what, are those torpedoes being fired at Blair? :)). They use lasers, and in some cases, flak guns.

BTW, that's a P2 sound in the Pegasus scene, right? That funny bleep-like sound when the Kilrathi first appear on the radar?

I never said they only used torps what I said was that they only used Lasers on two occasions. The claw used missles twice, and also the kilrathi battleship used flak cannons, but in capship v capship battles only lasers were used twice,.

Originally posted by Quarto
BTW, that's a P2 sound in the Pegasus scene, right? That funny bleep-like sound when the Kilrathi first appear on the radar?
Yup, the PAD sound.

The claw used missles twice, and also the kilrathi battleship used flak cannons, but in capship v capship battles only lasers were used twice,.
OK, let's put it this way, every time torps were used, so were the guns.:)

Earthworm, just cuz you have the movie on video obviously doesn't guarantee you know what you're talking about. If you think that CapShips use their lasers anywhere NEAR as much as their missiles you are gravely mistaken. The only times lasers are used by capships that I can remember is chasing after Blair, as the Kilrathi fleet is getting blown to particles as it enters Earth space one at a time, and the flak as Paladin and his wing went in for the kill against the destroyers and battleship. Missiles were the main Capship-Capship weapon... Twice the forward tubes of the Claw were used, Kilrathi ships shot the damn thigns off so often they may as well have been guns, the Skipper, and the broadside attack on the battleship by the ClaW(which, i must say, was probably THE coolest kill in a sci fi movie that i've ever seen). As to the other comment by someone else about capships using solely torpedoes in Lancer, you are also wrong, the Reliant as well as the yamato and the majority of the stations are equipped with some kind of large cannon that lights off a big, slow-moving, but powerful bolt.

Originally posted by Dragonmage
Earthworm, just cuz you have the movie on video obviously doesn't guarantee you know what you're talking about.
No, but it means that I do have the movie and can view it anytime I wan't, for example to check if there are capships firing any guns in the movie.

The only times lasers are used by capships that I can remember is chasing after Blair, as the Kilrathi fleet is getting blown to particles as it enters Earth space one at a time, and the flak as Paladin and his wing went in for the kill against the destroyers and battleship. Missiles were the main Capship-Capship weapon... Twice the forward tubes of the Claw were used, Kilrathi ships shot the damn thigns off so often they may as well have been guns, the Skipper, and the broadside attack on the battleship by the ClaW(which, i must say, was probably THE coolest kill in a sci fi movie that i've ever seen).
See Dragonmage, because of few comments you made in this little paragraph, I know that I know more about this than you.:) You see, in that very scene which you mentioned (the broadside attack), just seconds before the Claw launches those torps from her side, even before the Claw lowers her shields, the two capships are exchanging turret fire and you'd have to have youd head up someones arse not to see it. It practicly every scene where there is fighting between capships, we see them using guns. They start using torps earlier because they have better range though.

Earthworm that is one of the two scenes (other than flak) where guns are used but the only ship that uses guns is the Kilrathi Cruiser, not the claw I just watched the movie and that scene about a minute ago

And in the game, were the Yamoto and the "red" ship fight they use Torps against only. no lazers or anything else.That big lazer only shows up in a few missions.(Yamoto does not have it).

but the only ship that uses guns is the Kilrathi Cruiser, not the claw I just watched the movie and that scene about a minute ago
You're right, I just checked it... Still, the point is that guns were used in that scene. They were used when the Sivar was chasing casey, there were tons of guns when the Confed fleet was blasting at the jump point through which the Kilrathi were coming through, and like you said, there's the scene with the Flak. Unless my math is horribly messed up, that would acount to more than two.:)

And MY point is that Capship in the movie never go in a slug fight.(Those Kilrahti ships jumping in to Earth never have the chance to Fight back), just like in the game.

Yes a sivar manages to chase a Fighter, its quite realistic the way that a ship over 2000 tons manages to be faster that a 20 tons starfighter.

Back