WC Movie on German free-TV (Pro7)

cff

Kilk'dymga'qith laq Ik'vikvi
Today at 20:15 (GMT+1) the WCM is airing once again on Pro7, so the few that didn't see it so far get another chance...

Seems a lot of people in Europe googled for Wing Commander during/after the movie and found their way here.

Mh, I don't think that this is the best way to enter the Universe of Wing Commander... therefore I dislike it everytime when the movie is aired in Germany... It gives the idiots free shooting range to rant about everything about Wing Commander...

A hilarious detail in the beginning of the movie sequence are the Nokia-letters under the radar-screen of the Pegasus base. And the plastic windows of the room in which the NAVCOM-AI lies suspended... *sighs*

Last note about this subject: it reminds me everytime that the movie was calculated in the way of a wild mix of estimated target audience ("let's take lousy teeny-"stars" & space dog fights - we get both audiences with this methode..."). But it has had also it good aspects, as there are to be mentioned the soundtrack and even some various designs.

Malar said:
Mh, I don't think that this is the best way to enter the Universe of Wing Commander... therefore I dislike it everytime when the movie is aired in Germany... It gives the idiots free shooting range to rant about everything about Wing Commander...

A hilarious detail in the beginning of the movie sequence are the Nokia-letters under the radar-screen of the Pegasus base. And the plastic windows of the room in which the NAVCOM-AI lies suspended... *sighs*

Last note about this subject: it reminds me everytime that the movie was calculated in the way of a wild mix of estimated target audience ("let's take lousy teeny-"stars" & space dog fights - we get both audiences with this methode..."). But it has had also it good aspects, as there are to be mentioned the soundtrack and even some various designs.

I find it funny that you complain about people new to the series complaining about things they find silly in the WCM when they first see it. Then you go and complain about the movie.

I'm sure that 500 years from now they might have something with the flexibily of plexiglass and that is bullet proof. I'm sure most people don't notice the nokia thing unless their with you.

AD said:
I find it funny that you complain about people new to the series complaining about things they find silly in the WCM when they first see it. Then you go and complain about the movie.

I know that would come. :eek:
I meant that people who see the movie could be feel confirmed about their aversion against Wing Commander or even think that's all about Wing Commander, a bad movie.

AD said:
I'm sure that 500 years from now they might have something with the flexibily of plexiglass and that is bullet proof. I'm sure most people don't notice the nokia thing unless their with you.

Yes, I even foreseen this arguement. But if that is a flexible plexiglass, why is there a scratch on the "glass" after the direct hit of the gunstock?

Malar said:
Yes, I even foreseen this arguement. But if that is a flexible plexiglass, why is there a scratch on the "glass" after the direct hit of the gunstock?

Because the movie was made in 1998, not 2654. It also deflects bullets, and since it's supposed to be some material 650 years in the future, that's all we need to know about it. It's a transparent and flexible material that deflects bullets, but can be scratched. Case closed.

Malar said:

Idiots will be idiots no matter what happens. There's many ways to enter the Wing Commander universe, each of them great as they add to our community. I personally know Wing Commander fans who later embraced the games/books/etc because they first saw the movie, and each time the movie airs, more people join us in this way. That's all that matters here.

Malar said:
A hilarious detail in the beginning of the movie sequence are the Nokia-letters under the radar-screen of the Pegasus base.

I thought that was a nice touch. It was even cooler how at that same moment the Privateer 2 PADD access sound effect played.

ChrisReid said:
I thought that was a nice touch...
Is there a connection between Nokia and Wing Commander or relationship referenced in canon?

I thought this was just a production oversight/anachronistic gaffe in that the production people forgot to conceal the Nokia and/or other corporate markings before filming. I didn't notice it myself during my first viewing at the cinema, but one of my mates who was there picked it up straight away -- I was too busy studying the radar HUD, although I did notice it during subsequent viewings.

Cheers,

BrynS

BrynS said:
Is there a connection between Nokia and Wing Commander or relationship referenced in canon?

I thought this was just a production oversight/anachronistic gaffe in that the production people forgot to conceal the Nokia and/or other corporate markings before filming. I didn't notice it myself during my first viewing at the cinema, but one of my mates who was there picked it up straight away -- I was too busy studying the radar HUD, although I did notice it during subsequent viewings.

Don't think so, Nokia probably donated some equipment for production or something. But the logo was so prominent and centered, it couldn't have been an accident. If I recall correctly, it wasn't even like a regular logo on a piece of machinery.. it was appended cosmetically onto a panel intentionally. I just thought it was cool to see a 20th Century company in a 27th Century film.

ChrisReid said:
Don't think so, Nokia probably donated some equipment for production or something.
Yeah, I've just checked my DVD credits now:

After a number of viewings I only seemed to notice the Nokia placement on monitors during the Pegasus attack, the two most significant shots being the following two, although it is visible in wider shots during that sequence as well:

Cheers,

BrynS

Seen it the first time, and it su.. Well it was not the exactly the best movie I've seen.

Why does Blair need to have some special powers now? Why do the Kilrathi look WORSE than in WC3? Why are they so extremely dumb? Where is the story? I watched the movie with my wife, who knows nothing about WC, and she didn't realy get what this was all about. Seriously, take WC4, Cut out the filler missions, animate the combat sequences (Babylon5 style would do) and you have a great movie.

Sorry, but Starship Troopers was an epic masterpiece compared to this.

Bladewhirler said:
Take WC4, Cut out the filler missions, animate the combat sequences (Babylon5 style would do) and you have a great movie.

That's Kind of what I'm working on right now, except that I am recording and editing from the game engine.

Sorry to hear that you feel so strongly about the movie. The first time I got to see the movie in theaters, I had heard all the crap everyone keeps spouting first, and was expecting something a lot worse than it really was. In fact I rather enjoyed it ,despite the fact that I knew there were a lot of things that just werent clearly laid out and spoon fed to the audience. (and yes I did find some of the dialogue cheesy and what not, and am not saying It's a deep movie) But my hope is that sooner or later most of us will have completed the cycle of anger, denial, and finally acceptance.

AD said:
But my hope is that sooner or later most of us will have completed the cycle of anger, denial, and finally acceptance.

On the internet? Not f'ing likely.

@ChrisReid:
Mh, I must appear to you a bit narrow-minded with my past rants in this thread. I had got a different view to WC through the games and books. Origin System games were something special to me. And if I see a Nokia-logo in a Movie with the intentional name Wing Commander, its trashiness and their main actors I dislike, then appears to me the established (escapist) atmosphere which WC offered me long ago as destroyed. It had something demystifying.

But, ok I can accept it as a movie interpretation. I don't compare it with the "genuine" canon. Yes, indeed, it appears more authentic, if a company sponsor for the confederation, because it's typical for a democratic system. I don't think an imperial/totalitarian regime would accept private companies out of their control.

Your point of view shows, that I must rather analize the movie with more humor and not strict xenophobia - I've understand. I even knew the strength of this movie.

Back