WC Movie Finally at MovieMistakes.com

Not just the original script -- the 'traitor' sequences were all shot and included in the original edit of the film.

(And, of course, by virtue of appearing in the novel it remains part of the continuity.)

The movie was shot with those scenes - anything that you see on the screen has been edited from that whole. Understanding what they were supposed to be is important for understanding how the movie was supposed to work.

It's just that, if the Kilrathi could get to Earth without attacking the station, than they would really be able to make a surprise attack. There would be absolutelly no warning...

Besides, if they really suspected that much that Admiral Wilson was some double agent, they would'nt even start the plan. That ambush on Pegasus Station could really be the doom of a Kilrathi fleet if Wilson had just tipped Confed about it.

Well the Kilrathi had to take Pegasus to get Wilson anyways. Its not like he could just grab a shuttle and meet them without arousing a lot of suspicion. Plus from a strategic point of view, destroying Pegasus and all the ships stationed there was the only logical thing to do. If they hadn't, They would have been crushed between both the Sol and Vega fleets. So even if they had managed to slip by every patrol and cap-ship at Pegasus and wiped out Earth, they would still be destroyed. By destroying Pegasus they had a much better chance of reaching Earth and then slipping back to Kilrathi space in time for the Terran counterattack. Then, since they were already there, they might as well take the Pegasus NAVCOM, giving them jump coordinates to many other key Terran systems like Warsaw and Sirius and so on. So while they might not have needed the NAVCOM, they did need to take out Pegasus, so why not take the NAVCOM. It would have icing on the cake.

I think that if they had managed to completely rid Earth of all human life, their destruction would be of no matter to themselves nor the Empire at large. They would have died having completed their mission.

Nomad Terror said:
I think that if they had managed to completely rid Earth of all human life, their destruction would be of no matter to themselves nor the Empire at large. They would have died having completed their mission.

Just because the Kilrathi find glory in death during battle doesn't mean they won't take practical precautions from getting flanked, like they would be open to were Pegasus left untouched.

Besides tactical considerations, if you're going to eventually kill all humans anyway, why not pop a major military installation on the way? Remember, Pegasus was guarding the Vega end of the Ulysses Corridor, which the kats would hae to traverse to get to Earth.

Of course, but I wouldn't think that their motive was, "Let's destroy this base so that we can safely return to Kilrah after Earth is cleansed."

The movie got a mention on the front page of somethingawful today.
It really bothers me when other people think they know about space. Well let me tell you, brother, the version of space portrayed in such landmark films as the Sci Fi channel's Giant Crocodile In Space, Giant Crocodile In Space 2: Gianter Crocodiles As In More Than One Crocodile, and Wing Commander is way off. For one thing, ship engines and explosions always seem to have impressive sound effects in these movies, but sound doesn't carry in space. The reason for this is that space is a vacuum, and if you've ever tried to watch tv while your girlfriend vacuums then you know that you can't hear sh**.
The movie sure seems to be a legend, I'll have to watch it someday. And play through the WC games aside from privateer.. lots to do.

The movie shows on TV quite often, and you can get the widescreen DVD cheap enough at walmart.com or overstock.com

People who complain about "sound in space" or "explosions" in the Wing Commander movie have noting to complain about, since no space movie outside of 2001 and 2010 has anything but. No one complains about those things with Star Wars, do they?

(DeepDiscountDVD lists the WC movie for $7.18 and no S&H charges)

I certainly don't complain about sound in space, and SA wasn't either, they were just clearing up misconceptions. One of the other ones they cleared up was
Misconception #4
There is no oxygen in outer space

The truth: There is plenty of oxygen. Our sun is essentially an enormous ball of fire, correct? Last I checked, fire needs oxygen.
It's like a giant troll :D

While on the subject: have there been any space combat movies without sound? 2001 was pretty quiet, but rather lacking in combat as well.. It's be interesting to see a movie with no sounds but those from the character's own ship. IE, I'd be interested to see if people would accept it..

There was a PC game, named Tyrian, if memory serves, that had some explanation for it's sound effects in space. In fact, the ship's sensors were sensitive enough to capture the vibrations that gunfire, explosions, etc, created in the particles of the not-perfect vacuum that is space. Then the ship's computer translated the data into sound and played it in the cockpit.

By the way, that game is a very cool shoot'em up!

2001 had *music* in space. The existence of a well produced classical score in space is even more unlikely than sound itself.

Fenris Ulven said:

You should remember that it *was* Chris Roberts's first full-length film. I'm sure that the first essay you ever wrote was not college-entry-level material. Roberts has said before that if he had the chance he would go back and change up a lot of things about the movie. Don't rub it in the guy's face.

Your first grade teacher didn't grade your first essay as if it were a college research paper. Don't do it to Wing Commander. If Roberts were to go back and make another Wing Commander movie after all his current projects are completed it would be a lot different.

The Wing Commander movie was a solid peice of filmmaking. It just doesn't help when people remove one or two major struts - like the Traitor subplot - from the foundation of the movie.

MamiyaOtaru said:
While on the subject: have there been any space combat movies without sound? 2001 was pretty quiet, but rather lacking in combat as well.

2001 was a space combat movie??!?

:p

Back