wc mod for conquest?

d3r3k

Spaceman
is there a wc mod in developement or was there ever one released?

i recently fired up c:fw and that came to mind while i was playing.

Conquest is an infamously difficult game to mod - at several points there were fan projects based on it, but they're all gone now. Best to wait for Conquest 2, methinks.

Isn't conquest that game with navcom AIs?
Didn't it start with Chris Roberts and then was given to other people?

No, it had nothing to do with Chris Roberts save the fact that he was in charge of the company that developed it.

(Of course, StarLancer was the same way...)

Some serious person should really really really come up with a WC mod for some fleet battle strategy-ish game.

Edfilho said:
Isn't conquest that game with navcom AIs?
Didn't it start with Chris Roberts and then was given to other people?

Bandit LOAF said:
No, it had nothing to do with Chris Roberts save the fact that he was in charge of the company that developed it.

Yeah, and DA didn't finish it completely. It got sold to Ubisoft and published to little fanfare. Psych used to tell some story about the DA people coming into his Austin Software Etc to pick up copies after it was released.

I pre-ordered Conquest from the States back in August 2001, mainly on the impression that it seemed like a Wing Commander real-time strategy game. IIRC, the game was dropped by Microsoft and then picked up by UbiSoft for publishing, which accounted for some of the delay from its originally planned 2000 release date.

The game is fairly polished and the unique fleet admirals concept and supply system over multiple star-systems connected by jump points, hasn't been simulated in any RTS before or since to my knowledge. I really enjoyed much of the gameplay, particularly in some of the later single-player, campaign missions. It's a pity that some of the content was cut and only one campaign was included, which I believe was due to the delay over finding a new publisher and setting up a studio (Fever Pitch Studios) without letting the release date slip even further.

IMO, the game structure/format is pretty ripe for a Wing Commander mod/tc in terms of gameplay dynamics, etc, what with jump points, supply lines, capital ships and fighters, etc, although as Bob McDob pointed out, the game is obviously difficult to mod. I'm looking forward to Conquest 2, so hopefully it will allow for a WC mod. Taking charge of entire Confed or Kilrathi sectors or quadrants (as mapped on the WC Universe map) at different points during the war and deciding fleet deployments or replaying historic engagements would make for a great WC game IMO!

Cheers,

BrynS

i looked up some screenshots for the sequel, and everything looks exactly the same. especially the interface and the units on screen.

and what perplexes me is why they would develop a strategy game of this nature and have it sent to the xbox.

Eder said:
Some serious person should really really really come up with a WC mod for some fleet battle strategy-ish game.

What about the WC Homeworld mod?

I actually still use that mod regualarly for gameplay.

The reason for this is simple, I never really mastered the art of which ships in Homeworld work against which other ships.

Wing Commander put Homeworld into perspective for me. It's much easier for me to see Arrows as Scouts and Hellcats as Interceptors and decide which group to deploy then to just have a generic "Scout" "Hellcat" "Bomber" bit.

Also, it's darned cool to see a Vessuvius-class Carrier spamming out Excaliburs and Thunderbolts.

The effects for this mod were just phenomenal. However, for reasons I am unclear on, the mod was never finished (I think because Homeworld2 was released).

Yeah, the mod just kinda faded off. At least the majority of the skins and such were finished.

Pitty, And a HW2 mod would be great. I personaly prefer HW2 to 1. In the original game the only strategy people ever employed were those thief frigates... People captured everything. It was more like Grand Theft Spaceship. HW2 had som great stuff. And great visuals to boot.

I have conquest, bought for cheap in a local store. It's kinda nice, but no big deal.

I wish someone made a wc mod for Rome: Total War <jk>

What are the major differences between HW and HW2? I remember the expansion pack for HW had a lot of additions that were complete bullshit.

Back