WC machine help . . .

Viper61

Spaceman
I'm putting together my WC machine and here's what I've got so far: 350MHz chip, 64MB RAM, 32X CDROM, 4 GB HD, running win 98 (1st ed) and looking into getting a Nvidia TNT2 16MB video card. My questions are:

Is this a good all-round choice (meaning works decent with all WC games) for a video card?
and
I need a sound card/joystick port (I was scared by seeing Loafs multi-card solution :)), what type of sound card is the all-round best (again as above)? I mean I've got my eye on an old ESS 16-bit sound card but will that be compatible?

Thanks
C-ya

Edit: Also, I'm having a problem installing the KS on the machine. The Xan movie and the KS window both stop responding. Any ideas?

NO one wants to recommend anything :(. Anyway I bought the Sound and Graphics card and ran into a new problem. For some reason Win98 didn't write anything to the Autoexec or config files when I installed it. I can't get my CDROM drive, my mouse, anything to work in DOS! It's going to be a long couple of hours wrinting my own autoexec and config files. Anyone got any shortcuts, like how to make Win 98 do it for me? :)

C-ya

Config:
devicehigh=himem.sys
devicehigh=emm386.exe ram 16384 i=b000-b7ff
dos=high,umb
fileshigh=30
buffershigh=30
devicehigh=vide-cdd.sys /d:mscd001 (is my CD-rom driver, replace with yours
Auto:
Autoexec.bat
loadhigh=mscdex /d:mscd001
loadhigh=a:\PCIAUD\SETAUDIO ( this is my Sound card Driver replace with yours)
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 T4
Loadhigh=mouse.exe

What SoundCard do you have ??
As for the Mouse Drivers,try d/l the 2 Mouse drivers there are in the Files section at www.wcnews.com

I hope your mouse is not PS2 ??

P.S. I havent seen your Thread......I just saw it now ! :(

Originally posted by TCSTigersClaw

As for the Mouse Drivers,try d/l the 2 Mouse drivers there are in the Files section at www.wcnews.com
I hope your mouse is not PS2 ??

What problem with PS2? USB is the one that causes troubles. PS2 is fine.

I think all mousedrivers on WCnews support PS2

UPS..............sorry my mistake.USB not PS2 .Ofcourse PS2 is fine....

Where did I had my mind when I was writing :p

Okay, this is beginning to drive me bonkers. I finally got my sound card and CD-ROM drive to work in DOS, but I just can't seem to get my mouse to work. I've massaged the Autoexec and config files till I'm blue in the face. The only files that come up that I can include are a msmouse.vxd, mouse.drv, and a VMM32.vxd. I downloaded a mouse.com and included it in my autoexec but I just can't get the damn thing to be recognized in DOS. Every source I've looked at says that there needs to be a mouse.sys in the Config file but I can't find this for download anywhere. Anyone out there have any ideas?

C-ya

Originally posted by Viper61
but I just can't seem to get my mouse to work. I've massaged the Autoexec and config files till I'm blue in the face.
I downloaded a mouse.com and included it in my autoexec but I just can't get the damn thing to be recognized in DOS. Every source I've looked at says that there needs to be a mouse.sys in the Config file but I can't find this for download anywhere. Anyone out there have any ideas?
C-ya

mouse.sys loaded via a device command is older. I think about all manufacturers switched to mouse.com/mouse.exe after a while.
Do you get any error message when running mouse.com?
What mouse do you have? Is it USB, PS/2 or Serial? How many buttons? Is it connected via an adapter? Did that adapter come with the mouse? Does it work in Windows?

No I don't get an error message, but I do get a warning that my mouse drivers aren't loaded in DOS when I boot up WC4 ( I also don't see the echo to the screen about a them being loaded when I enter DOS). TO answer your other questions, I have a plain PS/2 Microsoft Mouse that does work with windows.

C-ya

Originally posted by Viper61
No I don't get an error message, but I do get a warning that my mouse drivers aren't loaded in DOS when I boot up

Try to drop to dos mode and then manually start Mouse.com or Mouse.exe
What does the driver tell you. It has to give a reason why it doesn't load. Try a different driver as well...

This has got to be one of the happiest gaming days of my life! I finally got my gaming computer to run every WC game with great sound/video/joystick/etc support (without using any boot disks, partitions or anything of the sort)! I get to play the KS WC1, 2 (and the add-ons), and 3, WC4, Prophecy, secret ops and Unknown Enemy again! But the real kicker is I get to play all the WC dos games I've missed out on over the years like privateer 1 and 2, Academy, and Armada.

I have 1 bug (well 2 if you count the low detail on Prophecy, secret ops and UE which is going to be fixed once I install my 8Meg ATI Rage card - gotta have the hi-res and cool ring explosions :)). My joystick will drift to the right once its calibrated in Academy. Any ideas as to what is doing this? I'm running Win98 with an old Gravis Blackhawk joystick.

Thanks, and if you don't hear from me over the weekend, you know what I'll be doing ;)

C-ya

I would recomend an old sound blaster card.......any isa card will be fine (eg anything up to the awe64).....

The ess is fine for windows stuff but you will have more issues getting it to work happily in straight DOS than an ISA Sound blaster

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it whnever I get that far in the gaming again. I found a new problem. I just finished WC1, SM1, and SM2 and am trying to start WC2 by transferring an existing file, but the only ones that I can transfer are old files (like 12 missions in). Is there any way I can transfer the SM files to WC2? What are the savegame files called?

Thanks

C-ya

Heyo,
Sorry -- I hadn't seen this thread before. The best choice for a video card for a WC-specific machine is the Voodoo 4 or Voodoo 5. Prophecy loves it more than anything, and it works fine with everything else (except Windows 3.11 -- which you should only worry about if you want to use Origin FX).

Keep in mind you'll still need a Voodoo 1/2 addon card if you want to play the 3dfx test.

Hey ,whats the difference in prophecy Graphics ,using a Voodoo1 or a Voodoo 5 ? I think its the same think,cause there is 1 standard resolution......I think the Graphics dont get any better.....

using a Voodoo 1 or a Voodoo 5 with Prophecy its the same thing....right ???

Originally posted by ChrisReid
Keep in mind you'll still need a Voodoo 1/2 addon card if you want to play the 3dfx test.

The Voodoo 5 (and probably 4) 'fix' the problem the 2 and 3 had with the test... so, no need for an addon card.

The advantage to getting a later Voodoo instead of a Voodoo 1 is that it does the anti-aliasing thingy (FSAA?) that makes Prophecy look noticably smoother. We did a comparison shots dealy in the news a while back...

Back