WC Kilrathi Saga problems

U

Unregistered

Hi,

I have a problem with Kilrathi Saga, I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to help. I'm running a Hewlett Packard notebook, 1.8 GHz and Windows XP Service Pack 2. I installed Kilrathi Saga, however there appear to be some issues.

Both Wing Commander 1 and 2 seem to run, however, in a rather small screen in the middle. Now, I figured this might be due to the fact that the lowest possible resolution on my computer is 800x600, hence the shrinking of the screen. Thus I was wondering if there is a way around this, to make it full-screen...

Another problem is the sound. I can only hear the music in the Wc1 intro and as the game starts, the sound goes off. And I can't hear anything at all in Wc2.

Wc3 freezes after the intro, but I found work-arounds for that one on this forum, so I'll try those, but the 1 and 2 are bugging me the most.

Thank you for any eventual response, I really appreciate it...

Kilrathi Saga usually can handle going full screen. Have you tried holding ALT+Enter when you have the game window up? Are you running in compatibility mode? That's often all it takes for WC1/2. If that doesn't do it, you have to try disabling as many acceleration/option features on the soundcard as you can.

won't work on LCD for me

This is a vaguely appropriate thread for me to add my problem to.

I can't get WC1&2 Kilrathi Saga to run because they apparently run in a mode my LCD can't handle.

When I start them, I can hear the intro play, but the monitor only shows "out of range."

Hitting alt+enter doesn't seem to do anything, nor does setting application compatibility to Win95. I tried forcing 640x480, 256 colours, both on, nothing seems to affect it. Does anyone have any idea how to make this work? Maybe with the application compatibility toolkit?

Thanks for any insight.

I don't know if anyone's found a way around issues with an LCD monitor that's incapable of dropping down to that resolution. ALT+Enter to Window it would be my suggestion. What happens with Wing Commander 3? WC1/2 might not support the windowed mode.

I have this same issue on my laptop but I was able to work around that problem just by connecting an old CRT monitor to my laptop. Of course if you never had a desktop with CRT, this doesn't help much :(
To fix the "out of range" problem, maybe this will help : set your refresh rate to 60Hz (and make sure u haven't put in an override to a higher refresh rate - does KS even use directx?)

The KS versions use DirectX for joystick input, as well as DDraw and DAudio for the visual and aural components of the games respectively.

I also seem to have a small problem with the WC2 speech pack in KS, sometimes it works perfect (in game and major vid sequences) but sometimes I have only the text story (I also noticed that during those moments, lip movement was quite faster as well as the starscape scroll: looks like overspeed).

Wing Commander 2 doesn't have full speech. The speech pack (which originally came on three diskettes) adds speech in-flight and during a select few cutscenes (mostly those involving Prince Thrakhath and the Emperor).

No problem, it's a common misunderstanding.

Wing Commander II was actually designed with a later "talkie" version in mind. The game came out before the CD-ROM had caught on, but the future was clear at that point.

Several other Origin games did get their full speech version on some system or another, including releases that weren't designed to be enhaned that way in the first place (including Wing Commander and Ultima VI). Strangely, Wing Commander II was never updated.

(In so far as we know -- I have it on good authority that the full speech for at least one unreleased enhanced CD ROM, Pacific Strike, was actually recorded...)

Unregistered,

If you have integrated graphics (Intel GMA900 or GMA950) you probably just need to change the 'panel scaling' mode to 'stretch'. I can run ancient games in DOSBox and have them stretch properly to fullscreen using the adapter stretching, although I usually choose to have DOSBox do the scaling..

Right click on your desktop, if you see a 'graphics options' submenu, it's under 'panel fit' there, or you should drill down into the regular Display setting until you find it.

I don't know if anyone's found a way around issues with an LCD monitor that's incapable of dropping down to that resolution. ALT+Enter to Window it would be my suggestion. What happens with Wing Commander 3? WC1/2 might not support the windowed mode.
Wing Commander 3 runs fine. I'll keep at it and report in if I ever get it running. Apparently some Nvidia cards let you override older games' resolutions and modes. I'll try to see if I can find anything like that on my ATI card.

Thanks.

Back