WC Joysticks:

xflvandamme

Spaceman
Hey does anyone know which Joysticks are recommended for WC II and WC III? Would anyone know if they are still available for purchase as well?

I've always been using my Thrustmaster Top Gun Afterburner Pro. It works for all the Wing Commander games and any other games that support joysticks. I'm not sure if my model is still available but the Top Gun Afterburner Pro II is available. It's basically my joystick with a different paint job. :cool:
Just a question, are you playing these games on a modern machine, or on an older PC? Because this joystick is USB and you won't be able to use it on anything too old.

My preference for DOS-based WC games is the Thrustmaster FCS/WCS/RCS stick/throttle/rudder pedal combo. You can find all three pieces used.

DyNaMiX said:
Just a question, are you playing these games on a modern machine, or on an older PC? Because this joystick is USB and you won't be able to use it on anything too old.

yeah I am using an older one, my other one broke down and I need a new one...

The Force Feedback combo from CH is still my dreamsetting. That is:
a CH Force FX (this FF stick works with DOS and can emulate effects in ANY game including WC).
a CH Pro Throttle
a CH Pro Pedals
(+ add GameCommander 2 for anything WC2 and later - it is just sooooo cool to actually say the commands instead of typing them.).

There's no such thing as a "Thrustmaster" Wingman Extreme. The entire Wingman series are products of LOGITECH.
And I bought TWO Wingmen, first the extreme, then the extreme digital, and they both broke pretty fast. they really suck.

I had much better luck with the Sidewinder Precision II. It's only problem is not working with Priv 2 and some other DOS games. But that is usually a problem with 90% of USB 'Sticks.

CH Flightstick Pro was pretty cool back in the day. It's the one the kid is using to play WC4 in that trailler. Delance had one, I think.

Thrustmaster stuff is always good, too. Even better if you get the combo LOAF mentioned, for it's 100% DOS friendly.

You're right, Ed. I remember that now. It was Logitech, but the (very little) documentation that came with it said that it would work the same as logitech. Mine took about five years to wear out. What I liked the most was the 3 button on the side, which was perfect for firing missiles.

These days, I've got a Saitek Cyborg Graphite, and it's sufficient for my needs . . . plus it feels cool in my hand.

Maybe the Wingmen are better nowadays. I know they make very good mice and gamepads.

BTW, I didn't understand what you mean by "but the (very little) documentation that came with it said that it would work the same as logitech", didn't you mean Thrustmaster instead of the second "logitech"?

Back