WC III and the Locanda missions

I wish I could say I was a amazing but knightmare level is just mad and I'm nowhere near a hotshot (like Maniac :rolleyes: ). I can comfortably handle enemies on ace level but above that I need a wingman for backup and this is where Maniac can actually be useful.

I always prefered Flash for that part, he's so similar to me, personality-wise. I made regular switch between the Victory pilots, and I think there should be a AI malus for using the same wingman 3+ times, as I wouldn't perform too well after 20 hours constant duty.

There are some problems if you don't rotate your wingmen. And flint was a decent attack pilot, a lot better than suicidal people like flash and maniac. BTW, these two are the ones who can REALLY die earlier... Flint, cobra, vaquero and hobbes always eject until their time has come :)) or until the last mission in flint's case.

Vagabond was the best wingman, so good that I never chose him, he stole too many kills.

I beg to differ, Vaquero was the best wingman because he would never leave your side like the other fools. And he was a decent pilot, just not so good that he would steal all the kills that should belong to you.

A wingman's most important purpose is to be a good target and draw some fire away from #1.

I flew with Vagabond about 50% of the time, and split up the other 50% among the others. I didn't fly with Flash much, he was too unpredictable and not as good as Maniac, so not as worth the headache.

I've never flown with Flash at all because I just could never bring myself to lower myself enough to accept his little simulator chalenge. There's a war on and he was laying in his bunk during a scramble! Then he has the nerve to request a shot at the Heart of the Tiger? The way I see it, the punk just wasn't worth a second thought.

I went after flint, but did not ground her, I also agreed to hawk's plan and let him take a shot at the cats... it's a personal choice, in wing commander you were a person, not a rank, your characters live like in a novell, you bond with them. that's what made the series such a succes. maniac was a moron, blair the ace, paladin the wise one, casey the whimp that has to prove himself, it's not a strategy game, it's a novell that involves blowing things up! :D

I always choose to go after her and then ground her, just so she learn a lesson, but i but her as soon as possible back to the roster. she is a pretty good pilot.....

if my fighter had a chance of facing lots of enemies without a wingman, i would go for it (few more for the killboard!). after that, i don't ground her because (following the story) we need every pilot we've still got

most of the time i flew with vaquero or hobbes

McGruff said:
I've never flown with Flash at all because I just could never bring myself to lower myself enough to accept his little simulator chalenge. There's a war on and he was laying in his bunk during a scramble! Then he has the nerve to request a shot at the Heart of the Tiger? The way I see it, the punk just wasn't worth a second thought.

You should fly against him sometime. He ain't bad, for a smartass.

Also it's fun to see Maniac's reaction if you lose against Flash.

I always went after her and never grounded her. This is not what I would really do, but the game penalizes you for doing the right, non-nice guy thing sometimes. I would go after her but ground her forever. Also, I would never take the Excal. That's ridiculous. You can't just take experimental craft because you feel like it. But it's the "right" thing to do in the game, so I always do it.

Fruitcake said:
Also it's fun to see Maniac's reaction if you lose against Flash.
I could never bring myself to loose to Flash, so I've never seen that. (I ain't going to loose to some punk!!:D)

I find it very interesting, how we are so emotionally involved with the games that many of us can't be brought to act in a way contrary to our feelings, in order to know how the game would unfold... i.e. Losing the Flash challenge, flashpacking Ella...

Of course, several wingnuts did all those things, but we can see in threads like this that many people always do ingame what they would have done if the situation was real.

That shows how good WC is.

Farlander said:
. I would go after her but ground her forever.

Hm, not a very good idea. it is something convincing about her saying: “I live to fly”. Then when she cant fly she may just swim down and drown herself as a wild duck. Anyone seen the play of Ibsen? Vildanden= The wild duck?

Fenris Ulven said:
Hm, not a very good idea. it is something convincing about her saying: “I live to fly”. Then when she cant fly she may just swim down and drown herself as a wild duck. Anyone seen the play of Ibsen? Vildanden= The wild duck?

So instead you run the risk of her going off and doing whatever she wants, possibly screwing up an important mission and getting people killed.

Court martial is the only option I see here.

If you think she's going to off herself, have her commited, but don't let her fly!

Farlander said:
So instead you run the risk of her going off and doing whatever she wants, possibly screwing up an important mission and getting people killed.

Court martial is the only option I see here.

If you think she's going to off herself, have her commited, but don't let her fly!

Correction:

I mean that she has to be grounded, to learn a lesson, but court martial? cant that be very nasty? 30-40 years prison, loosing rank in dishonour and so on. death must be better than 40 years in a military prison watching a grey wall waiting for you youth and the best years of your life to drift by....

I can't imagine there wouldn't be a court martial if a pilot in an actual military went off on a mission of his own choosing. He's guily of theft of government property (very expensive government property), endangering the lives of fellow personnel, insubordination, and probably several other things.

Edfilho said:
I find it very interesting, how we are so emotionally involved with the games that many of us can't be brought to act in a way contrary to our feelings, in order to know how the game would unfold... i.e. Losing the Flash challenge, flashpacking Ella....

I know what you mean! When I watch the movies with the viewer I really dislike having to watch the paths I wouldnt have taken. Strange as it may seem. :p

Back