WC Game DVD-Sized Covers - Take 2

StewMc

Spaceman
Hello all, some of you may remember a couple of years ago I created a few DVD-case sized versions of Wing Commander game covers (the thread is probably buried way back in this forum somewere). I never did finish the project, and recently I found some of my files lying about an old CD, and so decided to resume the project.

Unfortunately most of the master files for the scans and stuff are missing so I've decided to start from scratch again, which is probably just as well, as after looking at the stuff I did two years ago, I couldn't believe how bad the contrast looked on the images. Blame a dodgy CRT for that. :D

So anyway, here is the first cover, 99% complete, based on the UK box for WC4, and made for either DVD version of the game. I've resized it to 50% of the full thing, and I've also recreated the game's logo from scratch, and attempted to make it as close as possible to the original. Comments are welcome, I could use the input. :)

Hey, that looks great. Are there extra spaces inserted before 'involves and challenges' and 'with an all-star cast'? Do you have the full size file for people who will be printing it? Right now that file would be about 150 dpi I think.

Thanks guys. Yeah Chris I hadn't noticed those spaces but you are right. The text is an unaltered scan from the back of the original box so it must have been someone too trigger-happy with the space bar at Origin/EA. :)

Full 300dpi version will definitely be available once the cover is complete (only a few minor adjustments are needed anyway). I'll also put up a version for a 6-disc case, as soon as I can find a template for one.

Finally (for now), here are WIPs of the logos for WC2, 3 and 4. The WC2 subtitle was a pain to make, and it isn't exactly like the original for the moment. Why am I recreating all the logos you might ask? I was thinking about creating some alternate cover art that would give all the games a uniform design. Still playing with ideas for that just now.

StewMc said:
Thanks guys. Yeah Chris I hadn't noticed those spaces but you are right. The text is an unaltered scan from the back of the original box so it must have been someone too trigger-happy with the space bar at Origin/EA. :)

Full 300dpi version will definitely be available once the cover is complete (only a few minor adjustments are needed anyway). I'll also put up a version for a 6-disc case, as soon as I can find a template for one.

Finally (for now), here are WIPs of the logos for WC2, 3 and 4. The WC2 subtitle was a pain to make, and it isn't exactly like the original for the moment. Why am I recreating all the logos you might ask? I was thinking about creating some alternate cover art that would give all the games a uniform design. Still playing with ideas for that just now.

If you got the text directly from an OCR scan, it can be really easy for that to insert extra spaces. If it's an actual image scan, those things happen too. I see a lot of that, and it bugs me in professionally printed stuff. There might also be one in front of Malcom McDowell. It's probably an easy thing to fix. Your logos look good there too.

That look absolutely amazing! I've got the US version of WC4 (My dad bought it in NY almost 10 years ago) and it doesn't look nearly as sharp as this is, and that's an original cover.

This looks incredible. If you haven't, I think you should make one for Wing Commander: The Kilrathi Saga. I'm working to put that game onto a single DVD-R right now, actually, and it'd be cool to have a cover for it.

NuAngel

Back