WC for Playstation

I recently acquired WC3 & 4 for Playstation. I gave them both the obligatory introductory whirl and, not to my suprise, found the standard Playstation contoller to be lacking.

I know this topic has been covered before, but a search of the forums didn't exactly answer my question: Is there a joystick made for the Playstation that can be used to play both WC3 & 4?

Last night I found a jpeg posted in a previous post (by Loaf, I think) that pictures a dual joystick controller made by Sony, the SCPH 1110. Is this the best option, and will it work for both games? If not, are there any other suggestions for a controller? Thanks for the help.

From a technical standpoint, any Playstation controller will work with any Playstation game - you've got the same triangle/square/whatever buttons.

The joystick I post occasionally is great because WCIV has a special layout that's designed to make the best use of it -- so it "feels" right. WCIII doesn't have that, but it still acts like a regular Playstation controller that has you move with a joystick. It's certainly an improvement over flying with a d-pad.

I have both WC 3 and 4 for the playstation and have played through both games multiple times using the Dual Shock Controller and its worked fine for me. There are a couple of different configurations available for each game and the controller to choose between.

Yeah, I know a standard or dual shock controller will work, but it isn't the best tool for the job. I'd use one if I had to, but I would prefer a joystick since, well, they are flight sims.....

I think it took me a little to get used to the first time I tried playing the games with the Dual Shock controller, but now I've played them so many times it doesn't bother me anymore.

MajStriker: I'm here for a little bit yet. Looking for a job right now and not sure where I am going to end up.

WC3 on PS was dull and boring, the combat was not very fast. WC4 was much quicker and more heart pounding. I used to have a nifty controller with a throttle assembly, was pretty cool.

Playing WC4 on the PS is much more enjoyable than playing WC3 from a control standpoint. WC3 came out a while before the dual shocks were available, and the analog stick on the doesn't work for WC3, although it does w/WC4. I had WC3 for PS long before I bought a copy for my computer, and I remember how much clunkier the controls felt than WC 1 or 2 felt on my PC. You would constantly be tapping the d-pad to the left or the right trying to center your reticle on a target, and it would you would never quite be able to center it. And WC3, both for the PC and PS, were very specfiic about where on the surface of the ship a shot fired would register, so it made blowing up Cats very frustrating. I can remember cutting my wingman loose, and if the mission was fairly easy, he/she would rack up all the kills while I struggled to dispatch 1 Draket or Dralthi.

i've played WC3 and SWC on the 3DO. although the 3DO is diffirent then the PSX, i never found it hard to navigate with an joypad. i think that's because my first flight sims were played on the 3DO before i switched to a pc

Well, I managed to snag one of those joysticks off of eBay for $17.26. So I guess I'll see in a week or so.

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of love out there for the PS version of WC3. I bought it and WC4 to try something different. RedDuke your post was a little unclear, but were you writing that a joystick will not work with PS WC3?

I'm glad my question has led to the creation of a reunion zone for Iowans, though it was not my original intention.....

Wciii Ps

This is a little off topic
But I have WC 3 for the Play Station... I bought it used at a retail store and the bugger came without a booklet... I have had no problem playing it... I am using a PS2 so it has been running rather nicely but I can not figure out how to cloak my ship... I am on the final mission where you are suposed to blow up Kilrha with the T-Bomb but I can not figure out how to cloak... I would try the WC 4 cloak L1 L2 R1 R2 but that would only auto pilot and that is not what I want to do

Press L1 and R2 at the same time. That is what the reference card that came with my copy of the game says.

No problem. Until I found this site I didn't know that you had to cloak before going to nav 4. I got through the game once or twice before, I must have cloaked before moving on to the nav point and not realized it. Then I was playing it and I kept facing infinate waves of Stalker in the Strakha. When it happened, I thought something might be wrong with my CD.

The worst part of the PS control layout is trying to remember how to do comms.

BigsWickDagger said:
RedDuke your post was a little unclear, but were you writing that a joystick will not work with PS WC3?

Sorry, no, I wasn't making that allegation. I've actually never used the joystick for WC3 or 4, I was only making a comment on the original controller vs. the revised dual-shock controller with the analog sticks. If you purchased the controller that I think LOAF's referring to (looks kinda like a PSX console, right?), it should work just fine.

Back