Wc fans not liking Freespace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This entire thread amuses me. The poster purposefully started a fight, and then ran off sobbing when someone actually fought with him.

Incidentally, "I'm not going to use your free service anymore!" really isn't much of a threat to people who pay for bandwith. :)

That guy Wildshot, he reminds me of my sister when I was young. When she and I argued about something, (and when she lost), she would often just go straigt to her room and slam the door shut behind her.

This guy sez he did not start anything, but still he could not keep his cool. That sounds like he had already made up his mind beforehand.

Oh.. By the way. Freespace suckz because of a near worthless graphics engine, when you flew around in that universe it felt like all dry and boring somehow.

But still, in order to balance the argument a little.. Wing Commander Prophecy was not totally thrilling for me, it had its flaws, the stupid ingame communications between pilots really destroyed the feelin of deadly combat, and an award ceremony in the barracks? talk about cheap production. But its still better than suckin FreeSpace.

:)

While the Freespace dialogue does suck compared to Prophecy, that's not at all what I was saying <G>

Basically some of the people here have become obsessed so far that they can't see beyond their nose and thats not even an insult because it happens to anyone about anything :)
The Wing Commander series was bloody amazing, the likes of which we are unlikely ever to see again unless the series is resumed, whereas Freespace (well the 2nd, I found the 1st a little dull) was a great game, game of the year even but not game of the decade as I believe Wing Commander deserves and that right there is the problem, WC is better so anything not as good gets insulted, its a comparison thing.
Don't worry about it, if those people can't enjoy some good games its their loss :) Hey it wouldn't be a true fan base if people weren't insulting the competition, its a healthy sign.

Originally posted by Pedro
Basically some of the people here have become obsessed so far that they can't see beyond their nose and thats not even an insult because it happens to anyone about anything :)

Stupid British children need stupid British ranks.

I'll find you one!

(Allow me to explain: I DO NOT LIKE THE ANALOGY.)

I own both DFS and WCP. Revealing how much of a ripoff DFS is of WC, and more directly WCP is in the story.

A Prophesied omnipotent alien race flying black ships and using all-powerful weapons begin an invasion.

In WCP, the prophecy is Kilrathi and the enemy race is the Nephilim, Gnath'rak, or whatever.

In DFS, it's the shivans and the prophets are whatever the Kilrathi equivalent is.

Both of the subjected races begin working together.

Sure, it's seen to a greater deal in DFS than WCP, but it's there! In WCP, Casey and Hawk rescue a clan of Cats and in another mission, a flight of D'rathi fighters aids in destroying a carrier group.

In DFS, the Terran Federation (WOW, just add three words C-O-N) and the other race start working together to fight the Shivans.

It's flying around and shooting in space, and it can be fun, but it isn't WC and it just feels like a less immersive copy.

You can't compare WC and FS,and we are all a bit biased (did I spell it right?);)

Another FS question: Anyone know what happened to the FS WC mod? Are the 3d models still available somewhere?

Yeah errr thanks LOAF, that actually wasn't an insult but that was the kind of attitude I was reffering to. Yeesh why is no one allowed to like those games, I mean FS2 got some rather nice awards bestowed on it. I happen not to like the one nav point only system but hell I'm open minded and as such enjoyed seeing a fleet of juggernauts :)

Your rank wasn't earned because of what you thought -- you're right in that respect. It was the stupid, stupid way of saying it.

Eh whatever, its more like a Hhriss than a Dralthi to me
And then theres the WCM style fighter in SL and lets not forget gamma wings broadswords

Hey if I'm going to have a non WC related picture can I have one do with a game series I actually enjoy enough to remember, I'm sure theres plenty of insulting ones in my collection of favs, so insult me with:

Resident Evil series
Freespace 2
Perfect Dark
Goldeneye
Mario Kart Super Circuit
Mario 64
Worms
Starcraft
Rogue Squadron

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

Stupid British children need stupid British ranks.

I'll find you one!

(Allow me to explain: I DO NOT LIKE THE ANALOGY.)

not sure i understand how a picture of the Shroud from starlancer is a stupid british rank
any way, i don't care for FS2, i prefer x-wing alliance, i'm still trying to get hold of the Wing Commander X wing total conversion set of models if anyone knows where it has gone to, xwlegacy.com don't seem to be hosting dreddnott's work anymore

Originally posted by Pedro
Hey if I'm going to have a non WC related picture can I have one do with a game series I actually enjoy enough to remember, I'm sure theres plenty of insulting ones in my collection of favs, so insult me with...Freespace 2...

The fact that you have the audacity or stupidity (or audacious stupidity) to say you want a FS2 avatar in thread where we're bashing FS makes me want to put my boot up your bum at Mach 2.

(Also, Resident Evil has been a consistant tumble downhill at a stupifyingly fast rate since the original.)

Here we go:

I play games because I want to become immersed in a different role for an hour or so between my two jobs. I don't care if the game has all the bells and whistles, although it is nice. I prefer a game with a good, fresh (the first time around) storyline. Good character developement, and it has to give me a reason to keep playing it.

Wing Commander had all of these. A continuing story of the human race struggling in a 30-year war, coming out on top by your heroic actions, then a few years of peace, during which you manage to stop a war before it begins. Then you take on a new role in WCP, as the son of a Confed Ace, long dead, fighting a new unknown alien menace, who's only clues come from a thousands of years old prophecy.

Freespace...well start off at Prophecy. Replace "son of a Confed ace, long dead", with Son of some guy known as "Alpha 2"....maybe. Keep the unknown alien menace part. Also, the Vesudans or whatever....how long have we been fighting them again, and who exactly are they?

Wing Commander had quite a few characters I liked, Vaquero, Maniac, Hawk, Dekkar. Also some I didn't like, Thrakkath, Tolwyn, Rachel Coriolis (yeah, I never liked her).

Freespace...Let's see, there's Alpha 2, Gamma 1, and my Commanding officer what's his name.

Finally, In WC you follow the actions of a campaign where each victory and defeat paves the way for the next sortie that will get you to your final destination, Kilrah, Eath, Kilrah again...whatever.

Freespace had a semblance of this, but not quite enough to keep me interested. It almost seemed like one big string of unrelated events. As soon as there was a breakthrough in weapons technology, the entire ship was outfitted immediately, regardless of faltering supply lines and disrupted infrastructure. They must've been using Fed-ex.

My opinion:

Freespace had some nice graphics, but it just wasn't my groove.

You know what I really hated about the FS series? The fact that when you lost a mission, you had to play it over and over and oer and over and over and over..............kind of dumb. Wing Commander actually put you on a losing path, which was cool.

Firstly I stated it for a reason I enjoyed it god damnit, it was a good game, you say you want character devlopment from a game but that must mean theres only like 6 or 7 games in the world you can play. It made WC special but for instance despite Perfect Darks "attempted plot" it had no character development but its one of the most enjoyable games of all time, go figure :)

As for Resident Evil I'll ask you to watch your mouth ;) RE was a B movie, tacky to say the least and would mainly appeal to night of the living dead fans, I like RE because of the plot and character development, not just the scares, and RE2 and CODE Veronica gave me these in the bucket loads, 3 was only average but fortunatley they are remaking the 1st game so with some realistic effects, updated storyline and some FAR LESS CHEESY acting so it should join the other RE games in my list of favourites.

Originally posted by FrostyCOS1
They must've been using Fed-ex.

hehe... Spac-ex... everywhere in the universe ! Only @12 for shipping from Earth to Gemini Sector ! And this month, shipping is free in Sol Sector ! lol ;)

And LeHah going against popular opinion neither represents audacity or stupidity, it will be a cold day in hell when I lie about my opinions just to fit in. That would be like being one of those people who smoke just to be cool in some obscure little group all destined to die in 15 years from cancer :p

For going against going against popular opinion, I think even LOAF would agree that you're talking down to the wrong person in that reguard. I think everyone on #wingnut knows of my displeasure in pop culture... but lets move on...

Resident Evil sucks because the original creator didn't have anything to do with the sequels, which are more about action and less about horror. RE:C:V is a bloody joke to anyone with a decent IQ or attention span.

I didn't say you lied about you liking FS2. I said that FS2 sucked and that you were foolish to say you liked it in a thread where all but one person (aside from your foolish self) were in the process of bashing it to Hellespont and back.

Perfect Dark was also a Goldeneye rip-off. Sad really, since Goldeneye was a fantabulous game when it came out. Perfect Dark is just enamored bullshit, N64's final yahoo that no one heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back