WC cameos in Freelander?

Phillip Tanaka

Swabbie
Banned
I was going through a magazine when I came across something on Freelancer, which as you know was made by Chris Roberts. Well, one of the images was of a character that was a dead ringer for Spirit. Anything you can tell me?

Freelancer was 'made by Chris Roberts' in the same sense that I invented the ham sandwhich.

Well, he was behind the concept. He did talk about that kind of game way before he left Origin. He wanted to give a game like Privateer more depth. Freelancer has good stuff, but it was supposed to have much more.

Originally posted by Quarto
...That you're looking too hard? :p

C'mon, you know I'm Spirit's biggest fan by far. Seriously, I was wondering if there were nods to things like Wing Commander in the same sense that there were referrences to other pilots and such (not so much verbally, but maybe a visual cue or something such as Vagabond being a card shark a throwback to the card games back on the Concordia) in the WC series.

Yeah, Junko does look like Spirit, but a more obvious tie-in is John Rhys-Davies' character, Richard Winston Tobias, whom the animators were kind enough to draw to look exactly like the actor. His character is also very much like our Paladin.

Originally posted by Ijuin
Yeah, Junko does look like Spirit, but a more obvious tie-in is John Rhys-Davies' character, Richard Winston Tobias, whom the animators were kind enough to draw to look exactly like the actor. His character is also very much like our Paladin.

It doesn't look that much like him, with blue eyes and stuff.

Lemme see...

there's a Sabre and a Stiletto at least...

and...

hmm...

Oh yeah, there's the Dragon
a freighter class name Clydesdale,

a Centurion and a Banshee.

I guess there are those similarities.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Freelancer was 'made by Chris Roberts' in the same sense that I invented the ham sandwhich.

...I am forever in your debt, sir.

Back