WC: Bridge Commander?

The Shadow

Spaceman
i have been reading about (http://www.bridgecommander.com/) and anticipating the new star trek game called bridge commander. i was just thinking, would you guys ever play a similar game for WC? like, instead on being the captain of a federation starship, why not be the captain of a confed dreadnought or other capship? you would be able to engage it in battles with kilrathi battlegroups and send out fighters that you could maybe give orders to but not individually control.... just like a capship commander?

i know it wouldnt have the same feel as a space sim of WC but i thought that with the popularity of the armada mod that people may be interested if such a game were ever made. any thoughts?

I'd definitely play a WC game like that! I think it'd be very cool to be in charge of a capship. I'd be great to be able to view the WC universe from that perspective.

if you wanted it to be a space sim, then the star trek starfleet command engine would be great, albiet it isn't 3d that means you only can go side to side, front and back but no up or down
then it becomes complicated of course, but i think many people would just like a game based on the TECHNOLOGY of Wing commander! and make it into a RTS game, even better, like star trek armada, is a good example of how i would like such a game
just pure RTS BASED ON TECHNOLOGY NOT STORYLINE!

Originally posted by SpacedOutDragon
LOAF is right - you guys are essentially asking for WC Armada.

Armada did give you the chance to control a carrier, but all it featured was fighter combat. Now commanding a capship against fighters or other capships is a different matter. Imagine leading a wing of corvettes against a battle group, that's the sort of thing that I'd want:)

yeah Dak, thats the sorta thing i am talking about.... i would love to be on the bridge of a plunkett-class cruiser leading it into battle against giant bug capships firing those hugs plasma cannons it has. :D

Originally posted by The Shadow
yeah Dak, thats the sorta thing i am talking about.... i would love to be on the bridge of a plunkett-class cruiser leading it into battle against giant bug capships firing those hugs plasma cannons it has.

Why do you want a game based on capital ship based combat when Wing Commander has always been about fighters? If you want a Captial-Ship combat game, go hit Star Trek: Armada.

you're right, LeHah, but i just thought that it wouldnt be that bad an idea.... i dont expect such a game to ever be made (if another WC game is ever made) its just something i thought about after reading about a similar star trek game. this is just hypothetical :)

who would't want to command a WC BASED capship? please note the word BASED, people like the storyline and the technology and are sure that they can control a capship better than the AI who shoots slow plasma guns at FIGHTERS and the CENTRE of a capship, not the bridge or engines, the missile turrets also don't fire often enough. Ok, who would wish you could fly the exerter in wc1 to do evasive manuvers, hmm?

I wouldn't want a Wing Commander game on a capital ship since that defeats the entire purpose of a Wing Commander game. If you want something like that, go make yourself a MOD of another game and then pat yourself on the back. Otherwise, it's just silly to ask them to make something that is in some ways the complete opposite of the game series' basic structure.

I see where you're at LeHah.

Just some of us think it would be cool to have an official (yeah, I know, as if...) game set in the WC universe which did that. Isn't going to happen, of course, so modding is the only real option.

I don't think that it defeats the purpose of anything. Al lot of populr franchises will enter new fields that were not originally what it was based on. If this is handled right it could work. Look at Privateer. It has nothing to do with commanding squadrons.
It does not have to be in the Wing Commande series itself but in the universe, as in Privateer. But right about now the series need s to just simply come back.

LeHah, i am not asking anyone to go out and make any game.... i was only curious as to whether any WC fans out there would be interested in such a game. i was just interested in having a conversation about it, not starting a protest at EA to have it made. im sorry if the IDEA of a game based on WC that does not involve exclusively piloting a fighter offends you. i was just trying to make conversation :)

Back