WC Bible

maestro876

Spaceman
Are we to consider the newly available WC Bible canon? The reason I ask is because I've noticed a few details that contradict the novels, and later games. Also, it says that only 12 million some humans died in the entire war. For a conflict that lasted 35 years, I find that number slightly low. Any thoughts on this?

Actually, it looks like they're missing a set or two of zeroes at the end, from what I can tell. The Bible's canon, however - most of the details in there is seen later in other manuals, and it's the background information from which many of the novels are drawn from. There are parts which do, however, get missed by the novels.

Also, if you look down about ten pages or so, they state that billions of lives were lost in the first days of the War, before Confed put up an effective resistance.

Yeah, but there's other stuff too. Like that long narrative from some pilot named "LaFong" but you can tell it's supposed to be Blair. In the timeline when it talks about the destruction of Kilrah, it says that Vaquero participated in the mission, when it was in fact Vagabond, and the only one that actually died was Flint--Blair, Maniac, and Vagabond all lived.

Yeah, the whole part about Maniac dying really stuck out. I actually quit reading the Bible after that point. I think I'll consider the WC CIC encyclopedia my WC bible.

However, the entry for Todd Marshall is broken and I couldn't find an entry for William Eisen in it. ;)

Why would it be canon?

It's an author's guideline to writing stuff. It certainly wasn't followed all the time, and it certainly wasn't used as a source for all materials. It's difficult to say that anything that's unpublished and wasn't meant to be published is really canon

*can already predict a nasty Kilrathi dreadnought fight to happen, and wants no part with it*

But there's some parts of the Bible that's very informative. I was able to use most of the good tidbits in it to polish off Fleet Tactics back in Christmas time.

12 million military personnel I could believe, but not 12 million civilians--Confed probably lost 12 BILLION civilians in the Kilrathi's push to Earth leading up to the Battle of Terra--Confed spans a couple hundred systems and probably has a total population of nearly a trillion (the Confed military budget being in the 10 trillion credit range also speaks for a civilian population of hundreds of billions, given that according to Action Stations 500 credits is a month's pay for a recent Academy graduate).

If you look around, I think I saw something in threre about Maniac surviving that flight, too...

@Ilujin:
Don't forget wartime inflation has some part in that figure, but I'm inclined to agree with you.

The bible is certainly not canon. It also has a huge problem with underestimating numbers of people for things - all the systems in the 'universe' part have crazily low populations.

2.1 trillion human casualties is the official number, published in Origin's Official Guide to Wing Commander Prophecy.

Some planets were also occupied by billions or hundreds of millions of people and there are a large amount of large orbital stations...

2.1 trillion is a completely ridiculous figure, given other stuff we know. The Kilrathi would have to have totally destroyed 200 planets with populations of 10 billion.

I suggest that it is a typo... 2.1 billion is a lot more reasonable. We know that a lot of the planets taken out in Fleet Action had populations in the millions and not billions, which would proably make up the majority of human deaths.

2.1 billion is not a small number either.

Given that there's about 6.5 billion people alive on just the Earth today, 2.1 trillion sounds perfectly reasonable for a galactic war that lasts for 35 years, given the number of systems humanity is in. The idea that the equivelent to 1/3 of the current population of the Earth is all that died in the Kilrathi war is just foolish.

Back