WC Animated Serial Concepts

Here are some of my final concept shots for the WC Animated Serial project. I think I've finally got the way the space combat animation will look all worked out. It's a merging of tradition animation and cgi. I'm just wondering what people think of the style, or even the project?

A squadron of dralthi fighters...
Concept01.jpg

Ronan Naval Base...
Concept02.jpg

I'll post some more in a bit...

Really nice work corsair,
What do you use to render your 3D in cartoon look?
And when do you think you will be able to show a demo reel?
More! More plz!

Anyway this is geat stuff i love it!

Thanks Austin Crewman,
I've used Softimage XSI for the 3D components (mainly all of the ships). It has some great tools like cartoon inking and several shaders that have helped me get that sort of look.
As for a Demo Reel, well, it's already being pieced together. I've got some shots from episodes 1 & 2 ready, but not enough of the character animation yet. And even then I've got to find a way to host it online...

Also, If anybody thinks that they can help out with the project it would all be appreciated, whether it be concept work,animation, sound stuff, hosting, whatever... Any little bit helps.

Thanks for the comments guys.

The story will be set sometime in the 10 year gap between the original wing commander and wc2, and the direction I'm striving for is a series of stand-alone episodic shorts, a few minutes each, which will string together to make an overall story arc. Kind of like Aeon Flux if you've ever seen that... only, with a story... I may post some of the character work tomorrow.

I'll offer my assistance Corsair. If you want some concepts I'm sure I can dream some pretty good ones up, though I can't 3d model to any appreciable degree.

Are you in need of Voice Actors?

This two images look awesome, amazing, uncanny, unearthly... They're already cool by themselves, and you actually promisse us they'll be in a cartoon? It's so good I can hardly believe =)

Congrats, I wish I had technical skills to help you.

Sylvester, no space subs in the cartoon please.

Of course not, I'm only gonna use canon ships except under extreme circumstances or unless it wiuld be a good niche.

Corsair(pilot) said:
Thanks Austin Crewman,
As for a Demo Reel, well, it's already being pieced together. I've got some shots from episodes 1 & 2 ready, but not enough of the character animation yet. And even then I've got to find a way to host it online...
I guess that's where we come in.

I like it too...

Does anyone else think it looks like Futurama animation? Don't get me wrong, that was great animation.

Here is a little taste of what the character animation will look like... I'm not as confident in this stuff but hopefully you guys will approve.

Those long lift rides...
Concept03.jpg

It's some kind of flying pancake, I know it...
Concept04.jpg

When I first saw them the only thing comming up to my mind was "Wow that looks great"

Now lets get into the details...

First pic with the Dralthis
What do you think it would look like if you give the dralthis a marking make it more clear from what fraktion they are. Are they Kilrathi Empire, Pirates or even the Royal Guard of the Kilrathi...called Drakhai IIRC.
Think that would give the viewer of the pic even more a hint of "who is fighting who" cause we saw/read that not everytime a Dralthi shows up it was flown by a Kilrathi...IIRC.

Other thing is that your painting of the fighters is very linear...not that is bad I like it so but maybe with a Kilrathi marking it will allready look more agressive. When I think of Kilrathi it comes allways up in my mind something like asymetrical and sharp.
Its just an idea...but if it makes you to much work leave it as it is..it looks good this way.

Then the radar in the middel...don't know what it would like in an animation, but in a still the interlaced parts makes me a little nervous. I would think about a little reduction of the effect.

What I realy like is your combination of colors. You seams to have a good hand for it. They catch the attention to where it belongs without beeing to intense. For me its something very importend.

Other thing I like is the blur effect on the inner fighter and the sharpness of the Dralthi...it gives the howl thing a more movielike feeling.
Since its a still I don't know about the speed of the scene, but it could be interesting to give the lower right Dralthi a small blur too...so as if he just know has entered your view at a very high speed.

Now lets come to the base

The moon in the background is quite to light...it catches the attention of the viewer a little to much..its something most people do unconscious, so I would think a little bit about it.
Other think that came up to my mind was what about some shadows that are giving the base some more structur.

I hope you don't get me wrong...I don't think that your work is bad or something like that (well the oposite is more the fact)...so I just written down what could be possibly done to just improve the thing further.
I mean its your work, you don't have to listen to me or something..its just a small criticism in hope to help you.

-----------------------------

Just saw that you posted the charakters to so that I will say something to about them.

Heads are allready looking good to me...are they done with comp animation or realy drawn pictures...from somewhere I know the still of it..but can't remeber from where.
Only thing I could think about is giving the second person some more details on his clothings...like some buttons or a zip. Also the usual military shoulder things would be interesting.

PS: The holo Dralthi looks quite cool.

gevatter Lars said:
Other thing is that your painting of the fighters is very linear...not that is bad I like it so but maybe with a Kilrathi marking it will allready look more agressive. When I think of Kilrathi it comes allways up in my mind something like asymetrical and sharp.
That Dralthi design is perfectly acceptable, and I think it fits really well with the general style of his work. Personally, I'd keep it the same.

The SWC Dralthi:

Last edited:
Just add these little red markes on the wing ^_^

Well I had more the WC3 stuff in my mind, thats why I mentioned it, but as I said I only said my mind at the moment....and the first thing when I think Dralthi is the WC3 design and red markings.

Back