WC and Linux under Wine

Vasator

Spaceman
Hello,

Hoping someone can help me. I have just upgraded from Windows XP to Ubuntu Linux 7.10 and I am having difficulties running Secret Ops, Standoff, and UE. Can anyone give me any help with this? I can run the game fine in VMWare but without sound... and I want to see if there are any performance gains running it in wine.

Issues I have been having are that when I run the executables or launchers nothing happens and when I launch the secret ops exe it changes the video resolution and I have to restart gnome to get video back.

Thanks,
Alex

Unfortunately there are still problems with this new version of Ubuntu.
I had no problems with 6.10 but when I switched to 7.10.... well, It doesn't accept my graphics card anymore, so I can't use graphics acceleration :(

Do you use an ATI card? Then this is probably your problem. It is rather difficult to install the drivers.

EDIT: WINE is great, it will most certainly run better than with VMware, but I would appreciate if anyone could help me with the configuration, too, because I'm also new to this whole WINE-thing.

I have extensive experience with running wing commander in wine. for standoff and secretops use the opengl engines when running them in wine that makes them 100% compatible and they run very fast. Unknown Enemy will need to be rereleased with an OpenGL engine version before it will run in wine. the direct3d engines all have graphical glitches and software rendering is slow. for kilrathi saga simply enable windows 95 mode in winecfg and wc 1/2 sm/so work perfectly. wc3 runs. wc4 runs. wc4dvd does not work yet and I am liasing with wine developers to get it running privateer 2 is fast in menus and needs the slowdown patch exactly like on windows. But runs very slow in the space engine believed to be some sort of refresh rate issue. Academy/Armada/Privateer 1 all run in dosbox, naturally the dos wc games should all also run in dosbox I do not have a copy of privateer 2 for dos so I am unfortunately unable to test it aalthough I hear it works well from other people.

WC under linux with wine

Yes I have a Radeon 7500 with 128MB RAM, total system memory is 2GB. I can partially get it to run but sometimes when I run it the video settings get messed up an i can no longer read the screen (screen resolution mixup?). I'm still new to running linux so maybe it is a configuration problem on my end...

Thanks,

Alex

Unfortunately I don't have a clue how to get an ATI-Card running under Ubuntu 7.10, that's one reason why my new PC (I will buy it in february) will have a Nvidia graphics card.

The ATI-drivers for Linux are crap and the install tricks from Ubuntu 6.10 don't work anymore. I'll report when I get it working.

And if anyone has experience with solving that problem (Ubuntu 7.10 and ATI), feel free to post some hints here.

The opensource radeon driver will work fine with the 7500. If you do not install the fglrx driver, then X.org should use the radeon driver automatically.

Heya, folks. I'm trying to get Wing Commander IV, and the Kilrathi Saga running under WINE. Wing Commander I and II seem to run just fine, if a little fast (If I play with the KS frame rate limiters, I can smooth out the gameplay, the WC2 storyline animations on the other hand still like to run at hyperspeed) Wing Commander III seems to run perfectly, except for the fact that the sound in the FMV sequences is very stuttery.

I have WC 1 and 2 for DOS, but only the KS version of WC3 at this point. And my system's a 2.0Ghz Celeron, not the greatest DOSBox system out there for WC3, WC4, and P2D.

Wing Commander IV, the movies are fine, top notch, the game play is smooth, but the music in spaceflight displays similar jitteriness to WC3 KS's movie sound. (Just the BGM, all other audio is fine) I've confirmed that my copy of WC4 is fine. It runs... Slowly, under DOSBox, and the space flight music is smooth there.

Any ideas on how to resolve those two issues? How about the Spaceflight crashing in the DOS-Windows patch of P2D under WINE?

have you tried to change the audio settings in winecfg? try using the oss or alsa engines that can fix jittering. If you still have problems you may need to file a bug report with the wine developers.

have you tried to change the audio settings in winecfg? try using the oss or alsa engines that can fix jittering. If you still have problems you may need to file a bug report with the wine developers.

I've tried both sound backends with WC3. Haven't gotten around to testing OSS with WC4 yet. Prophecy I can get to run gorgeously (SO, UE and Standoff too, thanks to that OpenGL plugin.) Only problem with that one, is on my ATI Radeon 9250 (No longer supported by the fglrx drivers) my radar scope remains completely blank in those games.

(Anyone interested in running UE with the OpenGL renderer... I believe I saw some thread around saying that UE would need to be rereleased to be able to use it. The hack is pretty simple. Copy Gl_00007.dll over Gl_00006.dll in your Secret Ops director (or STAN_OGL.dll, if you're using the version from Standoff Ep. 4) and set UE up to use 'Software'. Just overwriting the software renderer, so SO and UE will no longer be able to use it. I'd recommend making a back up first.

Only difference I noticed in my very quick little bit of playing UE was that I don't get the pretty star fields in UE. No matter though.

I've tried both sound backends with WC3. Haven't gotten around to testing OSS with WC4 yet. Prophecy I can get to run gorgeously (SO, UE and Standoff too, thanks to that OpenGL plugin.) Only problem with that one, is on my ATI Radeon 9250 (No longer supported by the fglrx drivers) my radar scope remains completely blank in those games.

A quick little update on this. After I upgraded to Xorg 7.3, along with Slackware 12.1 (and the included ati-6.8.0 drivers) the vision engine OpenGL plugin works absolutely beautifully, full radar and everything

Still won't run

I still have no luck running Standoff in Wine. I'm still very new to using wine so honestly i don't know what I am doing. Can anyone refer me to a walk through as to how to get standoff and other wing commander games running.

IBM Intellistation Dual Pentium III Xeon @550mhz each 1MB cache each
2GB PC-100 Registered ECC Memory
80GB ATA-133 Maxtor
Nvidia 64MB Video (can't remember the model #) (used to be 128 Radeon)

Now I hate to say it but I was able to run the games in XP perfectly on this machine but I switched over to Ubuntu and I am currently running Hardy Heron 8.10. I am never going back to windows!

PLease help a newbie to wine :)

Thanks

I think the easiest way to explain it is this: First, you want to start with making certain that your hardware accelleration works with X Windows. The easiest way to do this, is to open up a terminal window, and enter

glxinfo | grep direct

if this returns 'direct rendering: Yes', then you are in good shape. If it returns 'direct rendering: No', then you will need to diagnose why this is. Likely with ubuntu, using the hardware you've listed, you'll just need to install the nvidia drivers from the Non-Free repository. Once it's installed, and you've restarted your X Windows server, try that command again. You're looking to see that you have direct rendering.

Once that's in place, you will want to install WINE. Again the usual package installation tools for ubuntu should be of assistance there. once this is done, open a terminal, and run

winecfg

In the resultant window, make certain to click on 'drives' and confirm that the settings for your CD/DVD-ROM drive are correct. (Often times, clicking 'auto detect' will set up things just fine) Click Apply, then close this.

Next, install Prophecy, and either the Secret Ops starter pack, or Secret Ops from its Prophecy Gold CD. To do this, place the CD in the drive, mount it, and then from a terminal enter in:

cd ~
wine /path/to/cdrom/SETUP.EXE (or setup.exe, Setup.exe, whatever the actual capitalization is. I don't have my CDs on hand at current)

Install the games with whatever options you wish. When prompted to swap CDs, be certain to drop to a terminal, and

umount /path/to/cdrom

then eject the cd, place the requested one in the drive, then mount the new one in the same mountpoint.

Once Prophecy and the Secret Ops are installed, install Pedro's OpenGL renderer for the games you have installed. (The link can be found around the CIC, I'll add it here later.) run

wine OGLsetup.exe

from both your Prophecy and Secret Ops directories and set up your desired resolution and such.

Follow this with

wine launcher.exe

From there, in video options, select the OpenGL renderer, then launch the game. That should do it. If you wish to install Standoff, just run the installer that you've downloaded. Standoff comes with the OpenGL renderer already. Unknown Enemy can be a little trickier. I posted earlier in this thread the trick to getting the OpenGL renderer to work with it.

That SHOULD be all that really needs to be said about running the Vision Engine games under WINE.

Wing Commander 3 Kilrathi saga has some pretty bad audio issues in wine (some sort of stuttering issue that's buffer related afaik) I'm trying to get some of the wine devs to take a look but because kilrathi saga is so expensive/rare this could be quite difficult.

Wing Commander 3 Kilrathi saga has some pretty bad audio issues in wine (some sort of stuttering issue that's buffer related afaik) I'm trying to get some of the wine devs to take a look but because kilrathi saga is so expensive/rare this could be quite difficult.

As an update to this, I did a little poking around on WINE's AppDB, and found a filed bug about WC3's stuttering issue with the KS version. I assume this was your doing, Darkmage. It advised trying a native dsound.dll as a workaround.

I installed DirectX in an alternative WINE installation (using Winetricks) , and grabbed dsound.dll out of it When I set up a library override of native,builtin for dsound.dll, and popped the native file into my wc3 and wc4 directories, it definitely cleared up the stutters in the WC3 main movies, and the WC4 spaceflight music... However, on both games it makes the movies themselves jumpy, due to wine not handling the native dsound.dll well. However, that's certainly a step in the right direction in some ways.

I wish I were more savvy on the reverse engineering/coding side of this, and could analyze the differences in codepaths with WINE's dsound.dll and DirectX 9c's dsound.dll and come up with some patch that preserves the performance of the internal version, and impliments a fix for the sound in both cases...

Of course, I find it odd that WC3 and WC4, using similar codecs have completely converse sound issues with WINE. WC3, the movies stutter, but in flight movies (comms movies) and in flight music is perfect, whereas WC4, the movies are flawless, and the inflight movies stutter. I know that I tried copying the xanlib.dll from WC4 for windows to my WC3 directory, and that just bombed out horribly.

First off, I apologize for some serious thread necromancy happening here, however, it's relevant to the topic that was being discussed.

Five years on, and I can now quite happily confirm that Wing Commander III from Kilrathi Saga, and Wing Commander IV for Windows 95 now work quite well under WINE (I'm using the latest released build, 1.5.18) WC3's movies no longer stutter, nor does WC4's in flight background music. I still see Darkmage's bug listed on AppDB, but I responded to it today reporting my findings. Wing Commander I, II, III, and IV installed today worked fine and dandy so long as WINE was set to Windows 95 compatibilty. Unfortunately, I am sad to report that sol's ddhack which worked in 2010 to improve several aspects of these games graphically, no longer works. On my system, it loads the games, but centers the image so that the bottom half of the screen is completely cut off.

I will possibly report on the status of Prophecy and Secret Ops tomorrow, With UE and Standoff at some point later in the day, but the vision engine games have been running brilliantly under WINE due to Posicle_Pete's OpenGL wrappers for years (Years ago, I even got UE working through it, albiet without pretty starfields. It's my understanding that a UE specific update to the OpenGL wrappers is in the works?)

Reportedly WCSaga works under WINE just fine, though I've yet to try the full release (I did play the prologue back in the day a few times quite successfully)

Back