Wc 3do

Bigt028

Rear Admiral
ok, i am sure this will sound weird, but i own a copy of Super WC 3DO, however, i never got a chance to play it, because i do not have a working 3DO system. is it worth playing, and invest in the system.

Super Wing Commander is a remake of Wing Commander I with new graphics, full speech and a new addon campaign. Well worth the purchase of a 3DO - everything is different.

There's also WC3. Wing Commander 3 3DO is, in my opinion, the finest console port ever made. Instead of making it *exactly* like Wing Commander 3 PC the team changed the game to suit the platform - they redesigned all the missions to be more action oriented. It has some really neat differences (a few different ships to fight, much bigger missions, some cutscenes removed from the PC version, etc.)

ok, so either i watch ebay for a used 3DO system so i can at least play SWC, or still get the system and look for a copy of WC3 3DO, sounds good thanks

A used 3DO shouldn't set you back too much - and it's absolutely the best way for an old time fan to experience a 'new' Wing Commander game right now!

3DO emulators don't seem great; they'll run the game, but they'll do all kinds of things like not let you switch disks or display everything that's supposed to be black as pink. It's best just to spend less than the cost of a new game and track down an actual 3DO...

i have been looking for a 3do system on ebay, is there a major difference between "Goldstar" or "Panasonic", i see that different venders made consoles. is one better, or it doesnt matter

i have been looking for a 3do system on ebay, is there a major difference between "Goldstar" or "Panasonic", i see that different venders made consoles. is one better, or it doesnt matter
I believe Panasonic produced the initial 3DO console: the FZ-1 REAL and followed up with the smaller and cheaper FZ-10 REAL. The reference design was licensed to Sanyo and Goldstar to help reduce production costs -- the Sanyo model is apparently the rarest. They should all offer the same functionality, but if there isn't a big price difference I'd try and get the Panasonic model if it's in decent condition. I managed to pick up an FZ-1 off E-Bay about two years ago and I'm not surprised there's still a fair number of them around; it's built like a tank!

The 3DO Kid recently put together a list of his Top 50 3DO games and WC3 3DO came in at #2 -- there's some footage of WC3 at 5m:25s in this clip. His WC3 review with pics went as far as calling it "best game on the 3DO."

The idea for the 3DO was that it was a replacement for the VCR - everyone could license the technology and produce their own 3DO box... and 3DO boxes capable of playing games and video CDs would become ubiquitous. Trip was about fifteen years ahead of his time.

I would personally reccomend the Panasonic FZ-10, for two reasons: they're smaller and they're top loaders instead of front loaders. One of the things that breaks more frequently on old systems is the mechanism that opens and closes the CD tray... and the FZ-10 doesn't have that.

That said, every 3DO I've ever owned is still alive and well -- so you can probably go with anything and then save some money for tracking down some of those rare accessories. The flight stick is a must for Wing Commander 3 pilots!

Back