WC 3 Question

Stargeezer

Spaceman
Does anyboy know, why they left out the locker room scene with hobbes explaining to blair why he is a traitor?

I read it in the book and downloaded it and I think its kinda essential to the story....

The claim at the time (and I see no reason to dispute it) was that it was an issue of space.

Back in 1994 many people still had first generation CD-ROM drives which could only read 60 minute discs... so Wing Commander III had several scenes removed in order to fit onto the smaller discs.

The 3DO and Playstation ports were designed for machines that used larger 75-minute CDs standard... so they had the missing scenes restored.

Eh, think about the time the game was released -- this was before DVDs, and the idea that movies might would have "deleted scenes" that could be watched separately was pretty unknown.

Plus, adding a 5th disc to a game means your pressing cost goes up something like 20% -- and this was when CD-ROM games were just getting started. In the end, it would have added no improvement in gameplay... it'd be a trivia coaster.

Makes sense, but without that scene I could hardly believe, that hobbes would betray blair and the confed. It just didn't make sense. Would have been better if they'd cut out some other scene (IMHO).

About ANY other scene would have been better except the final one... Heck - cut one of the love scenes with Angel.
However note that the scene in question would have to be on the SAME disk the the Hobbes one is to go. Which might be harder.

im assuming there's no way to make a patch or something that could put the scenes back in? if it was possible i would think we'd have to download the deleted scenes first wouldn't it? i dunno im not too good in this kind of stuff

My opinion in this subject is that the explanation scene was far more important than about half of the remaining scenes. If they had the disk space problem - and loaf is right, there are no reasons to doubt it - then they should have cut some other chitchat scene. Well, maybe the told some intern to solve the disk space problem, and he made a bad decision :) Who knows. But the plot is surely more confusing when Hobbes just betrays us without a reason.

well, im not too bothered. ive played the game, and listened to the message so i know about it anyway. save from not knowing at what point after hobbes defected it was sent, i know all i need to.

Yeah, tiger, but back in 1994 there was no CIC with handy video files for download... Heck, there wasn't even any kind of comercial internet or www in brazil, I had NOWHERE to find ou about the explanation, it was just me and the games. No good magazines either. I was pretty befuddled at the time :S

Back