WC 3 installation problems

Rhiannon

Spaceman
Help!! I am so glad I found this place. I am at a loss.

I tried to load WC 3 on my new computer, and the first thing it does is test the speed, my screen goes red, and it does nothing else. I've left the room, watched some tv, sauntered back in to check, and no change. So I stop and try to start again. Same thing.

I have tried going to the command prompt c: and entering wc3 like the book told me, and I have tried entering through the run command through the start menu. Same results both ways.

Is the game not compatible with the Windows XP? Am I out of luck? Is it just operator error?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

R

WC3 is not compatible with XP, that i know of.
you can turn on what is called "Compatibility mode"
that will turn on translators that basically emulate 9x, NT4, & 2K.
i got past the setup, though the sound did not work at all( i have a SBlive 5.1, if anyone cares.), but the game froze 2 sec.s in to the Origin Splash movie. My guess is u need to run off a 9x boot disk, but this would only work if u can get drivers for ur sound card in dos. the CIC has a section for creating dos boot disks for Privateer, WC3 is no different.

Playing WC3 in DOS is A-1 SUPAR. I guess a bootdisk would work, but a Windows-shortcut should work as well. It did for me, anyway, in Win95. Just prevent the program from detecting Windows, and you SHOULD be rocking, in theory.

that will not work in XP.
XP is not based on 95/98/ME.
it does not work the same.
XP has no real dos
it has a command prompt, but it does not function the same as in the past.

Back