WC 3/4 running on WIN 2000?

Have you tryed using the windows patch for wcIV? I'm pretty sure you can install wcIV by just telling it to not detect dos. After it's installed apply the windows patch. As for wc3 you'd probably need kilrathi saga, good luck getting your hands on that!

Wing Commander 3 and 4 should run really easily in Windows. Just try installing them normally. Privateer cannot be run in Windows. You must drop to DOS.

WC 4 running on WIN 98? NOT!

Running well in Win98???
I had a great time with WC3 running in W98, but WC4 video (admittedly higher resolution) just stutters like crazy. Without subtitles, I would not be able to understand the speech. I've tried all different resolutions, I've stopped all my start up programs, changed the CD-ROM disk caching, loaded as much as possible onto the hard drive, etc., etc. That stutter just won't go away and it's damn annoying! I'd love to know of someone else's experience! Does it really work? I have a 600 MHz PIII computer with 128MB RAM and a 24x CD R/W drive. I can't for the life of me figure out why WC3 worked so much better. This is a 1996 era game!!!

-Tony

I am running WCIV on windows ME fine, and I ran it on 98 second edition no problem too. This is without the patch too

Good for you guys. I just heard from Chris Reid that audio settings usually solve these problems, but that didn't help. I set it up for maximum performance. Still stuttering.

I have an HP pavilion with a Riptide Conexant audio card. It is 16-bit with wavetable synthesis, I think.

I think this is a tough problem...

-Tony

OK. I'm replying to my own post!

It works with an MS-DOS mode shortcut from W98 (I can send the settings to those who are interested). That suits me fine! Thanks to all who listened and helped.

-Tony

Just as an aside, setting for maximum performance isn't always the answer. For example, with many sound cards, turning hardware acceleration off completely eliminates movie stuttering in Prophecy.

I'm also using a HP Pavilian. Have you tried installing the Win patch for WC4? I had a problem where the sound would be scratchy and somewhat jittery and he patch which is avalible oin the files section took care of it.

I have a problem with SO though. The game runs great and all but in flight there seems to be something wrong with the hudd display. The ship diagrams and lensflair have lines going through them.

Deadman: You're using DirectX rendering, right? The problem stems from texture alignment. Try changing your card's texture alignment settings. You should be able to get to it through the display properties.

Back