WC-3/4 on Linux : Dosbox or Wine ?

Foxtrot

Spaceman
i am unsure what to use to get wc3/4 running on linux. dosbox seems to give quiet some problems with getting wc3 up and running in linux but was managable in XP :confused: now when i try wc3 in wine, the console just freezes on me. anything i sould do to the wine configutation like set it to win 98 and some stuff with the sound/graphics too ?

Unless you're running the Kilrathi Saga version of WC3, I am fairly sure that it is a DOS-only program. DOS Box is probably your best bet for WC3, and not WINE.

WC4 has a Windows 95 patch available, so maybe you'd have some decent results in WINE... but I strongly suspect that DOS Box is the way to go for WC4 as well under Linux.

If you can get WINE to work on the Windows version of the games (or get WINE to work at all ;-)) then you'll get better performance than just using DOSBox on the DOS version of the games.

What kind of CPU grunt do you have on muster?

P4 3.0 GHz hyper-threading that is running the "Sympatic Multi Processing" Linux kernal. well, honestly, i never did have proper results with wine on wc3 but i just tried secret opps with it and was happy to see the game ran at least. aside from the fact that all keyboard input in the game lands up on the console and is not recorganized in the game it seems to work fine, even with the high rez pack.
i guess i will give Dosbox a try.

Hmm... DOSBox will probably be your ticket for this one then. Might be a bit slow but it'll be playable.

Darkmage, could you give me some details on how you used wine to play them ? when i try wc3 the thing just crashes, obviously i need to change some of the settings in the wine configurator.

i also managed to install wc3 last night using dosbox but the game refuses to show the movies, well most of them. dint show the intros, showed the 1st conversation with hobbes but then it just quit when i tried to go into the breefing room. gonna try it with sound today.

If your wc3 version runs in DosBox, then you have the dos version, which will almost certainly not run in Wine. Darkmage has the Kilrathi Saga version, which is a native win32 app.

As far as showing movies goes, dosbox's cdrom emulation under linux isn't as complete as it is under Windows. I don't really know if that is the problem though... I have ONLY used WinXP dosbox to run WC3, and I've never had a crash or glitch in 2 complete playthroughs, and that's with all detail settings at max, and using dynamic core.

well, that makes more sense. that explains why wine could never run my version of WC3. and the dosbox cdrom emulation might be one thing that seems to be affecting performance because he game seems to slow down everytime something new loads up. and capital ships, i stay away from them !! the lag is so bad that the game automatically resets to vga.

can anyone suggest an optimal cpucycles and frameskip i should play with ?

70000 cycles and frameskip 0 is what I use. You must have core=dynamic though, or you'll never get anywhere near this.

What sort of ideas are you looking for? Set up your emulator, run your installer and play the game. Did you try this and have some sort of problem?

Try DOS Box first. If you want to run it in Wine, you would need to install the Win95 patch first... which could only cause trouble.

DOS Box > WINE. There is zero benefit to running the game with WINE instead of DOS Box if you can help it.

Back