Wc 3/4 D3d

Dane

Spaceman
Hi

Me again but now registered.
Is it possible instead of making d3d patch for wc3/4 (which was immpossible for Origin) to make new gameplay in new engine like spec op but identical to original
end replace old graphics with new one.What i mean is we look at same movie fmv but but when we sit in cockpit there is new graphics in spec ops style or other .

Personaly wcproph does look nice in 640x480 and i dont use high res patch.But i think that wc3/4 would look better if there was a d3d patch .

It'd be a lot of work for somewhat dubious payoff. Something like the high res patch for Prophecy/SO makes a lot of sense sense, but trying to take an old game and recreate it in a new engine would invariably create differences and begin to alter the balance of things. And most of the people capable of pulling something like this off are busy with their own projects. I don't have a problem with any of the older games' graphics at all, and I don't trust a lot of people to re-envision things. Typically even when fans pull off a remake, a large portion of the player base still plays the original.

I guess someone could make a WC3 or 4 mod for WCP, like Standoff. Too much work to make something that already exists, though.

Better off making new stuff.

While major upgrades to old games might rape these from their soul, I do believe there are some updates to older games that can work nicely.

For example, I wouldn't play a 3D remake of WC1/2... it simply wouldn't feel the same; but altering the game to use higher-resolution and bigger ships sprites, and adding more intermediate "rotational" steps sprites (like, let's say, one in every 5 degrees) would sure enhance the gameplay. (higher-res/bigger ship sprites would make the sprites zoom that emulates distance less blurry/pixelated, and more sprites "angles" would help when trying to aim for the Tiger's Claw landing deck :p) Providing you have access to the source code and the original 3D models, this should be a quick task.

Some games have been re-released with such small enhancements (the ones I know of are mainly quests-type of games) with great results.

Hmmm...

Well i would play a remake if it was done properly, and the flight physics felt
authentic, Standoff, definetely has a WC2 feel.

remaking wing commander I would take a full dedication of a professional
team who's on for months 24/7. or years, for a fanbase.

still i wonder what the pioneer engine could do....

There's certainly nothing wrong with trying to pretty up the games.

I think that the first thing a community needs to do is get its old games running on a modern system. We've done that now - we were very, very lucky that VDMSound and DOSBox and HCl all came along in terms of Privateer when they did, else we could have created a bastard generation of Remake players. That was quite literally an 11th hour save.

After that, I don't think there's any real problem with remaking games or with 'fixing' them up. Both of these have some important points -- they create a new experience that a lot of people can enjoy and, more importantly, they can attract some of the kids today who are only interested in shiny happy graphics.

A remake needs to be done by intelligent fans first, though, and Lunix weirdos looking to rip off someone elses work in a half-assed manner to get jobs in the gaming industry second.

You need to have absolute respect for the source material, though. I don't care what you personally think, but the minute you show up telling everyone how great you are because you've *fixed* Wing Commander 2 by adding whatever modern convenience to it we are going to kick your ass.

With the source code this would be a fantastic idea, very low accuracy was used in WC3 in 4, the first thing I would change would be smoother movement and turning. If the code was structured sensibly it really wouldn't be that hard to do a Direct3D or OpenGL update without changing any gameplay...
...but we all know how unlikely this is to happen. *maybe* it is possible, if HCl could link to a dll for all graphics calls (origin must have had to create their own equivalent to a graphics library) then it would not be difficult to compile one; I honestly don't know much of hexediting or how he does what he does though. If its feasible however I'd be more than willing to help.

wc3/4 d3d

Whenever i came up with something like enchance wc3 4 Chris jumps like stick with needle. I know that feeling would not be same to play wc3 in another engine. But remember Flying corps looks great in that time when d3d patch apeared. So i know lot of work if someone can lay hands on sorcecode which will not happen. But still wc3 4 was begining and still lives like armada, privateer.
So i someone can remake privateer why not wc 3 4 .I dont know nothing about coding that why i ask people who does.
And if what i learned in life if somethig is hard to get , then is much more worth and you stick more with it.
In the end i think every fun of wc3 should have one spare old machine to play old games. I own 2 old PC and Amiga where i first so and fell in love with this great game .

a true and descent remake of wing commander 1 has not been done yet, and that would be the place to start. that, and by today's standards, wc3's FMV would look like crap.

Mace said:
a true and descent remake of wing commander 1 has not been done yet, and that would be the place to start. that, and by today's standards, wc3's FMV would look like crap.

It looks acceptable on the low-res interlaced version, pehaps that shouldn't be changed.

Lt.Death100 said:
If you're asking if there's going to be a Wing Commander 5/6/7 then, most likely at this time, no.

Especially since after WC4 they dropped the numbers on the games, not unlike Star Trek movies after ST6. :p

Lt.Death100 said:
If you're asking if there's going to be a Wing Commander 5/6/7 then, most likely at this time, no.

There isn't anything we know of in the works at the moment, but many people here are optimistic that its onlt a matter of time. When EA feels the time is right, there will be a new Wing Commander.

Oh and WC5 = Prophecy WC6 = Secret Ops.

Dane said:
Whenever i came up with something like enchance wc3 4 Chris jumps

I suppose that's true, considering that you've only come up with something like that one time, and I did reply to that message.

Dane said:
like stick with needle. I know that feeling would not be same to play wc3 in another engine. But remember Flying corps looks great in that time when d3d patch apeared. So i know lot of work if someone can lay hands on sorcecode which will not happen. But still wc3 4 was begining and still lives like armada, privateer.
So i someone can remake privateer why not wc 3 4 .

The Privateer Remake was a horrible debacle. A whole separate spinoff mod project had to be initiated to make the "Remake" actually resemble Privateer, and they're still working on that. Wing Commander 3 and 4 are in a whole different league for a number of reasons.

Dane said:
I dont know nothing about coding that why i ask people who does.
And if what i learned in life if somethig is hard to get , then is much more worth and you stick more with it.

Eh, that sounds good and all, but actually applying a rule like that in practical situations falls apart pretty quickly. I'm not much of a coder, but I do know quite a bit about fan communities, mod teams, projects and similar things work, and that's what my previous reply was based on.

Back