WC 2 Kilrathi Saga

Sordid

Rear Admiral
The game crashes randomly!!!

When I activate Win95 compatibilty mode it runs well but sound stutters!

Is that with add-on missions or without? Have you tried different compatibility modes yet? Or soundcard Hardware Acc. changes? What's your soundcard? Might be hardware related cause I don't have that effect. - Using cheapy onboard sound, btw.

On a side not to this, in response to what THE_WUQKED said, are those onboard sound cards really that cheapy? I have two motherboards with them and I have always disabled them and put in a PCI sound card. I don't do anything like audio recording or digital output. I am only putting out to two speakers and a powered sub. I thought the AC97 standard was pretty good? I mean, it isn't EAX or anything but the soundcard can't be that bad, or can it?

As far as Kilrathi Saga crashing, does this happen with the clean install or have you already installed the extra missions (I can never remember which SM and SO went with)? If this happens with a clean install of Kilrathi Saga, there is probably something hardware related. Otherwise, we would have heard more about it. It doesn't crash for me but I was running it under Windows 98.

On a side not to this, in response to what THE_WUQKED said, are those onboard sound cards really that cheapy? I have two motherboards with them and I have always disabled them and put in a PCI sound card. I don't do anything like audio recording or digital output. I am only putting out to two speakers and a powered sub. I thought the AC97 standard was pretty good? I mean, it isn't EAX or anything but the soundcard can't be that bad, or can it?
Concerning MY onboard soundcard, that is partly true. - The sound-quality, for example, is hearable worse than my Audigy in my other rig. BUT in general I'd say, they got way better! And a NForce2 soundchip is even really great compared to normal soundcards ;) So I won't say they are ALWAYS that choppy, but mine isn't that great. It's OK with normal stereo boxes, but anything better and I really hear the difference. But that also depends on the game/media, of course. But I'd use a none-onboard soundcard with this rig, if it had more than 1 PCI slot. ;) - Have got lying around an old SB Live! Player 1024 anyway. But I need those extra USB slots, and the external Hub I have is quite sh** :(
But back to your main question: If your Mainboards aren't that old and you don't use a good 5.1 system or so, I'd go with the onboard soundcard and save the money, or at least do a comparision with your old setup. In most cases the internal solution is sufficent, but not in all ;)

One of the points of having sound on a PCI card instead of the mainboard is that it will save a bit in the way of resources so it will assist when running some games. I find Prophecy runs better when I use my SB 5.1 rather than my onboard NForce 2 sound. However, generally I prefer my onboard sound as it seems slightly better (as it damn well should for £98!).

An AC97 onboard soundcard uses more resources (cause it uses the cpu).

The game itself (not the extra mission) crashes randomly. With Compatibility Mode the sound is reall bad. I'll try different acceleration modes right now.

Yes, an AC97 sound card will use more resources but with computers surpassing the 3Ghz mark and with the vast majority of the time your computer sits in idle, it shouldn't matter. I use a seperate sound card in my 500Mhz computer just for this reason but on all 3 of my P4 computers, I use the onboard sound. It sounds great when I play Medal of Honor. Then again, that game only requires like a 600Mhz processor and I throwing a 2.8Ghz at it. The only stuff I have seen that takes up my CPU is doing video encoding and 3-D animation rendering. These will put my CPUs to 100%. Nothing else I have found really will (that I own at least).

Sorry for digging up an old post, but as I recently (and finally !) found a copy of WC Kilrathi Saga, I ran into the same kind of sound problem as the thread starter.

Fortunately, I found settings that work for me (that is, with music only slightly messed once in a while and speech almost perfect) : I left the hardware acceleration on complete but chose Windows NT4 compatibility mode to launch the EXE (thrust me, I've tried every combinations before that one ;) !).

BTW, I have Special Ops 1 and 2 installed, and my audio card is an NVIDIA nForce onboard running under WinXP PRO SP2.
My computer isn't really a fast one, Athlon XP 2400+.

Hope it'll help :)

Back