Wasp screenshots

Howzat said:
I dived into some shallow water and broke my neck in 2000. You know those ads about checking the depth of water before jumping in? You REALLY should listen to them!
Not being able to play Wing Commander is just one unfortunate result from being a quadriplegic ;)
Wow, I never knew anyone who managed to do that. And yes, I'm always concerned for my back - even bad posture will kill a 'good' back someday. At least you accepted it was your fault and didn't try to sue to local council for compensation. :/ People will try anything to grab more money.

So how do you manage to type then?

I use Dragon NaturallySpeaking voice recognition software, it works pretty well, it's about 95 percent accurate if you really try and speak clearly.
As for suing, it's a tough one. The relevant authorities probably would have been found slightly legally responsible and I still would have got a heap of money. Only problem is that money would have come from the taxpayer, who I'm already costing enough... I'm just too nice I guess :D
We need more community minded people in this world, not selfish people.

Hear, hear!

So, what happens when this voice recognition software stuffs up? How would it distinguish between you saying "delete" and you wanting to delete a word?

Also, how do you go about navigation? On the Internet, most stuff is done through the mouse, isn't it? Yikes, it must have been hard work getting used to this.

Well the software recognises commands as phrases of two words or more, so if I said "delete previous five words" then it would perform that action but if I said "delete" then a pause, then "previous five words" it would write the text onto the screen.
You can navigate the Internet with it by speaking links, or parts of links. So if I said "General Wing Commander" I would be taken to the General Wing Commander Chat page.
I also use a trackball with a mouthstick, I've got an old photo with it all explained here: http://home.pacific.net.au/~tbutler/100-0096_IMG.jpg
The only thing I can't do is press Ctrl/Alt/Del when everything really falls over. But then I just hit the reset switch.
Thank god for computers, otherwise i'd be staring out the window all day!

I must say that I am VERY impressed that you are able to model like that without the use of your limbs! That's what I call not letting it get ya down!

Wow, what a mess. And it looks like you have to put up with WebCT as well. :)

How does the head-tracking IR mouse work?

Even with all these gadgets, you'd still need someone to help you with things, huh?

If you say a word which isn't in the dictionary, I assume you can still spell things out letter by letter, yes?

How about speed? How fast does the thing let you 'type'?

Nice Tigger.

I hurt my leg once in a similar incident, but it was only kind jammed . . not even broken.

Have they given you any hope of recovering the use of your . .well . . body?

Wedge009 said:
Wow, what a mess. And it looks like you have to put up with WebCT as well. :)

Yeah good old WebCT, I need it for uni but it definitely is in need of a bit of a makeover, a nice Vbulletin board would be nice.
How does the head-tracking IR mouse work?

The IR mouse works by that device that sits on top of my monitor emitting infrared light which bounces off a small reflective dot that I have stuck my forehead (it's a great look :)). By tracking that the mouse follows my head. I only use it when I'm in bed because it easier to use the trackball when I'm in my wheelchair.
Even with all these gadgets, you'd still need someone to help you with things, huh?

I still need lots of help, using the computer is okay but getting up, eating and going to bed etc. is a different story.
If you say a word which isn't in the dictionary, I assume you can still spell things out letter by letter, yes?
How about speed? How fast does the thing let you 'type'?

If the software gets a word wrong, or I say something that it doesn't recognise I can say "correct that" and then teach it the word I said and hopefully it gets it right next time.
It's supposed to be able to handle up to 160 words a minute, but there's no way I can think that fast :)

I just checked out your web page, I'm doing a bachelor of computing through Deakin University which is probably pretty similar to your degree as well, I try to stay as far away from programming as I can though :)
I also see you like to roller skate, I used to do that flat out when I was younger somewhere fairly near you probably, the big rink in Campbelltown, skate plus it was called... Probably not even there any more anyway :)

overmortal said:
Nice Tigger.

I hurt my leg once in a similar incident, but it was only kind jammed . . not even broken.

Have they given you any hope of recovering the use of your . .well . . body?
Not until they find a cure ;)

roll on stem cell research I say :)

Back