Was wing commander destiny ever a real project, or just some youtube fanon?

If this project of Chris' is true, I wonder if it has any connection to the shelved Arena follow on (at least in storyline, setting, etc.)

That would be shock to legacy fans somewhat, since every original character would be dead, or well, way past combat age, the Nephilim wars took place without "us" being there(not that the nephilim save a few aces were any sorts of opposition). Then again a full new cast and setting as a distant sequel would be more appealling to new fans.

But please, stick to orchestral music again....

There's no chance that he'd be picking up where someone else left off. .

Since Malcolm McDowell was on the list(IIRC), it could be a potential remake of the early games using CGI(I doubt Tolwyn's ghost would appear to hunt Blair in his dreams) and voice-over actors??

Since Malcolm McDowell was on the list(IIRC), it could be a potential remake of the early games using CGI(I doubt Tolwyn's ghost would appear to hunt Blair in his dreams) and voice-over actors??

I wouldn't necessarily say remake... but I would bet it's a return to the Kilrathi war in some fashion. And while I can't comment on the specifics of this project, I will say that I haven't seen a Wing Commander pitch since 1998 that involved full motion video (2001 television series not withstanding.)

Thanks for the update - sounds like the Arena follow up would have been cool indeed, but I guess we'll keep our fingers crossed that Roberts can work his magic again!

I think that one was pretty well documented--there was news about it at the time! Chris Roberts has held on to the Wing Commander TV rights all this time. EA granted them to him in the same deal that let him do the Wing Commander film in 1998. Chris has floated the idea for a Wing Commander show forever and in September, 2001 it ALMOST became a reality.

The reasoning behind the interest is a little gross--networks asked for military-oriented sci-fi pitches after the 9/11 attacks because they felt that viewers would want war shows that were also escapist in nature. Chris' Wing Commander, through his Point of No Return Films label, had a patch all ready to go and it came very close to happening. They were going to shoot the pilot in Toronto.

We provided a bunch of metrics for their pitch--how many people are huge Wing fans, look at how obsessive they can be, that sort of thing... but the thing that REALLY helped was big numbers for the "Enterprise" pilot in late September, which convinced networks they were right in looking for sci fi shows at the time. Unfortunately, Enterprise dropped like a stone in later weeks and interest in Wing Commander faded. Battlestar Galactica was another show pitched under the same requirements. Sci-Fi Channel similarly lost interest in immediately as Enterprise tanked... but they still managed to make a pilot, which was presented as a miniseries, became a surprise hit and turned into a series and giant franchise. It should've been us!

But, after the first few episodes ratings started to drop for the new BSG series, in my experience viewing it lacked the excitement the original and I did not like the rewritings of some of the characters, especially Baltar and Starbuck.

It's spin-off, caprica, was not well received AFAIK.

But now that SG:U is gone, there is no space-opera at all on sci-fi, and maybe an open market.. I always figured a wing commander series would be like S.A.A.B. , but with a bigger focus on the enemy since they also have character development in WC(Making it also a lot more expensive probably)...

Though Caprica failed, they still made a TV movie or two (The Plot and... something else I can't remember) and now they're going ahead with a prequel series called Blood And Chrome. The BSG franchise is still going, though it seems to be grinding gears at this point.

I'd have loved to see a WC TV series, though I can't imagine what it would look like - the movie? the games? a hybrid of the two? - and the question becomes who was seeing this project through (aside from Roberts) and what was their track record? (The only thing I think would be a near-guarantee would be WCM's co-composer Kevin Kiner working on the series, whos done shows like Stargate SG-1 as well as the current composer for Clone Wars)

Yeah, but Caprica does not make sense..
They have a prototype Cylon, inhabited by a human mind transferred throughout VR into cyberspace(actually that would explain the "will" of the cylons and why they resisted the humans), yet the technology levels you see in the rest of the series is no better of what we have in our homes!
(The original cylons were machines build by somekind of extinct reptillian race, the (real) cylon leader still appears to be a biological creature, you see him only in a shadow as they try to blow up some forwarding base in one of the last episodes of the original run(galactica 1980 is actually a different series, but wrapped up the story of starbuck before it was cancelled).
And as for the ending of re-imagened BSG, the final was the best episode of the past two seasons, the rest was too much drama, too little action for my taste. The franchise might still be going, but there are little non-diehard BSG fans who actually like the current products( but these people would buy and worship anything carrying the name, and are no way a target audience for producers who want millions of dollars of investments back. That would be Richard Hatch(Original series Apollo, new series Tom Zarek, and writer of the BSG books).

Now SG:A experimented with starfighters flying off carriers built by human military, upgraded with alien tech(Ancient and Asgard technology), and had some pretty good space battles(something the pilot of BSG did show off, but this was put in the background in favor of two people whispering to eachother in the dark inbetween bulkheads), and they were liked and well received by thesame guys who used to play wing commander, X-wing and Freespace back in the day...

As for the look of the TV-series; I think that would be up to it's creative director, wich would be Chris Roberts, and I'm pretty sure he is well aware of what most people who played the game think of the movie, and go for a way to unite both worlds... Ofcourse budget is the big question.

The current edge a series based on a space opera with a military-like background might have;
Tthere is nothing on television in that direction that is not a re-run(Buck Rogers, S.A.A.B., ST-Voyager, SG-1, BSG classic), and we all have seen those.

You're talking to the wrong guy. I didn't get farther than the first few episodes of Season 2.

As for the look of the TV-series; I think that would be up to it's creative director, wich would be Chris Roberts, and I'm pretty sure he is well aware of what most people who played the game think of the movie, and go for a way to unite both worlds... Ofcourse budget is the big question.

Heh, I can tell you right now that this is not how Chris Roberts works. He sits down to a project with a single vision and works tirelessly towards that... no bending his vision to try and make it more like what people necessarily want.

Heh, I can tell you right now that this is not how Chris Roberts works. He sits down to a project with a single vision and works tirelessly towards that... no bending his vision to try and make it more like what people necessarily want.

You know the guy, and I always liked the way he pushed the envelope with the first four wing commanders, but I think it was always, even in the movies he still never was satisfied with the result(read it multiple times here and in magazines), but I'll probably like the endproduct anyway, if I get used to it(like the movie).

Back