Was the Kilrathi fighting the war on two fronts?

aidanleer

Spaceman
This has probably already been asked but I had this thought. Were the Kilrathi fighting someone else during the start of the Confed/Kilrathi war? It would explain a lot. Like how in the first Wing Commander game it seemed a lot like the Confed was winning the war after pushing the Kilrathi out of Vega sector. But then in WC2 after 10 years pass they are able to turn everything around and start there push toward Earth. Kilrathi had more troops and ships then the confed had, their tech seemed better. I dont think there is anything out there that actually says they were in the middle of two conflicts but it would seem to make sense to me. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Ah, somebody needs to read the Baen books! The canon is that Humans and Kilrathi were fairly evenly matched until the time of the Wing Commander Movie, and the First Kilrathi raid on Earth ended in disaster thanks to to both the Tiger('s) (we know it should be there) Claw and Admiral Tolwyn's task force. Afterwards, humans have a slight upper hand until deployment of the Strakha stealth fighter. Then Kilrah has the advantage until the first raid on Kilrah in End Run. The False Armistice and the second raid on Earth in Fleet Action give the Kilrathi the upper hand until Col. Blair temblor bombs Kilrah in the second Kilrah raid in Wing Commander III- Heart of the Tiger.

While the Kilrathi were never fighting two fronts at once, they were always scared of both a return of the Mantu, the only race that fought them to a stalemate before the Mantu up and left, and the much more sinister "Darkness", advancing towards Kilrah from the galactic core. Legend and speculation has it that "the Darkness" is what Terrans call the Nephilim, who earlier visited the Kilrathi and found them unworthy to even fight, and promised that if the Kilrathi were ever defeated, they would return to destroy what was left of the species.

I could have sworn I posted a reply to this last night.

The Kilrathi build the Hakagas and accompanying ships for the express purpose of using them against the Mantu, should they return. It's a case of the Kilrathi inflating an enemy. We learn in the ICIS manual that the Mantu aren't some warmongering race, instead they are explorers who happened to bump into the Kilrathi. Since they fight the Kilrathi to a stalemate, almost immediately the Kilrathi cast them as a super-enemy which all must be done to prepare for their return.

The Nephilim aren't on the minds of the Kilrathi during the War, the Mantu definitely, but the Nephilim are a thing of legend. It's only after the destruction of Kilrah and about a decade that they come to center stage.

Back