Want to sell your WC Movie dvd?

bw_dave

Spaceman
Well I'm getting a little tired of reading all the WC Movie threads, and feeling left out since I've never seen it :(

I live in Australia and I don't have a video/TV (only my PC and a DVD-ROM). The movie hasn't been released here on dvd yet, so I can't hire/buy it down here. I didn't really want to pay the new price for one from the US because our dollar is so low at the moment, but I can't find any second hand copies to buy (no, not even on ebay!).

I know people will say "just buy it new", and I will if that is my only hope of getting it. But I just thought I'd try here first to see if anyone had a copy they wanted to get rid of.

Also, has the dvd come out in any other regions beside the US yet?

Sorry, but I think I'll keep mine. Of my DVD collection (currently 211 discs, and growing larger weekly), WING COMMANDER was one of the first I bought, and quite possibly the most oft-watched. :)

Originally posted by Wedge009
Originally posted by bw_dave
I live in Australia and I don't have a video/TV
No TV? Whoa, I used to have a friend who had no TV, but eventually his family got one.

Hmm I could see how that sentence of mine could be misread ... there is no relationship between the fact that I live here, and don't have a TV. We aren't that backward :)

No its just that I choose not to have one. I waste enough time on my computer as it is ... don't want to waste even more with a TV. And most of the stuff on there is rubbish anyway. (Boy I'm starting to sound like my Dad!)

Eh? No! I didn't mean to suggest that Australia is backward! But, yeah, it's true, most TV is garbage. Even on cable.

No thats cool - I knew you didn't mean that. Its just that when you quoted that sentence to me I realised how it could be read :)

Not worth watching.

Really dude, this movie is an insult to the Wing Commander community. I have the mpeg version on CD, and I'm damn happy I didn't actually pay any money to go see this ugly beast in a movie theater.

The cats look more like the aliens from "Alien": foul creatures, without the sense of honour you'd expect from a true Kilrathi. The whole movie is so unrealistic; imagine crewmen dragging torps from one side of the ship to the other because they need to defend the other flank! The casting is hideous: at least they could pick some ppl who vaguely resemble Mark Hamill and Tom Wilson in their younger years to play the roles of Blair and Maniac. Other than that, the storyline sucks.

Wing Commander IV had a far better storyline than the movie. If you must really watch a Wing Commander movie, hook up a VCR on the TV-out of your graphics board and start recording while you play WCIV.

Re: Not worth watching.

It all depends. I went with a couple of fellow Wingnuts, and we got pretty good value for money. No, it wasn't an epic that would forever change cinema as we knew it, but it wasn't a turkey either. For us, it was a chance to kick back with some popcorn and enjoy two hours of WC on the big screen.

Best, Raptor

[Edited by Raptor on 04-12-2001 at 02:58]

In a way, it makes sense - you live in Australia where the TV mostly shows Rugby/Cricket/Neighbours, and therefore you don't have a TV. Yes, I can see how living in Australia could influence you to make that decision ;).

Hey! Okay, rugby and Neighbours I agree with, but what the heck do you have against cricket? :D

Best, Raptor

OK, I take the point with Neighbours ... I won't even try and justify it or make excuses for it, since there are none. However sport is one of the only things on TV that is worth watching, since it usually makes you ring your mates up and go outside to have a kick/hit/whatever - hence breaking the evil, mind-melting power that the TV death rays have over you!

As for people saying "its not worth it" etc, about the movie. Well for everyone who says that, there seems to be someone who says its worth seeing. I demand my rights to be able to decide for myself !!

OK, so TC is right - if you don't own a piece of WC its your own fault. I guess I can't demand my rights then.

I've never noticed the "makes you ring up your mates" effect of sports on TV... quite the opposite :). And what do I have against cricket, Raptor? A cricket game takes a minimum of one whole day. Turning the TV on in the evening and finding that they're still showing bloody cricket is almost as annoying as the Olympics ;).

Back