Vote...

Scorpion

Spaceman
What do you think was the best game created in the last 3 years. Factors should include story, gameplay, difficulty, etc.......

Or just what you thought was the best game created in the past 3 years.

------------------
All Men Seek Justice...
But Never Find Peace...

Wouldnt that depend on genre. After all a good game in adventure could hardly be compared with a sims game or RPG. Different genres have different requirements.

Adventure - Tex Murphy Overseer
Sims (?) Wing commander Prophecy
RPG - Ultima Ascension
Action - Thief the Dark Project
Stragey -Age of Empires II/Age of Kings

Although to be honest I have not played many action games and so cannot really give an accurate answer in that catagory.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Adventure-Grim Fandango
<LI>Strategy-HomeWorld
<LI>Flight Sim-Jane's F-15
<LI>Space Sim-I-War (i'm sorry for that I just think its better then WCP)
<LI>Action-Its a tough one i'm in a dilema between Quake II and Half-Life
<LI>RPG-Baldur's Gate + TOTSC expantion pack
</UL>

These are my opinions and i'm sorry if it offended anyone.

------------------
I was Black Hawk

Well, I think the best game in the last 3 years would have to be homeworld, sure I havn't played it but the reveiws it's getting arn't exactly calling it pants

but the future now belongs to Free-lancer, when that comes out everyones going to love Chris Roberts I mean Everyone

------------------
You Know I do GCSE Cooking, I get A's B's and nothing bellow c's I make Christmas Cake, Shortbread pastry and other Assorted and hard to make delacacys and what do I come home and cook myself?
Microwave Hot dogs!

Since I rarely play something else than space sims, I can only vote in this category.
I have to agree with Zero. I-War wins over WCP 'cause of its creativity in mission design.

runs for cover before getting shot at

------------------
No one will hear your cry of death in the void of space

HUmm.. I don't know.. I really don't play all that many games, except for WC.

------------------
I've seen smarter things..

~Gunner~

Adventure - Grim Fandango, The Curse of Monkey Island
Sims - I-War, WC series, Mechwarrior series
RPG - Baldur's Gate + TOTSC, Final Fantasy 7, and a game from the Genesis console, don't remember the name...
Strategy - Homeworld, Alpha Centauri + Alien Crossfire
Action - Half-Life, Unreal

should've said WC series instead of WCP...
what a shame
frown.gif

------------------
"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles."

[This message has been edited by klaus (edited January 06, 2000).]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say P2. I just liked it more than Prophecy. Second place would be Kilrathi Saga, but that was released 3 years ago not made so I gues it dosen't count.

------------------
Uh excuse me Mr.Cat, sir, but would you mind like ceasing fire for a little while so we can barbecue your god-ugly asses? Todd "Maniac" Marshall Wing Commander Pilgrim Stars

There is one neat game I forgot to mention in my first post.
It's Battlezone. It's a combination of strategy and space sim.

------------------

I think one of the better games would have to be the Fallout games. The story was pretty much the same in both Fallout 1 and 2, but I like those a lot better than Baldur's Gate, but I think Privateer 2 beats them both hands down. I enjoyes the huge selection of ships, and you could actually make realy money shipping stuff, unlike Privateer 1. That was a cool game!

------------------
"He has warrior spirit. It will be the death of him." Prince Thrakhath - End Run

[This message has been edited by Tailburn (edited January 07, 2000).]

A number of people are saying I-War is good. Heard a number of great reviews too. Although it is almost like sacrilage to say it's better than WCP. I personally like a half decent plot line with movie or cartoon scenes showing the plot in my Sims/adventure games. Does I-War have this?

SW: Do you play Defiance or the "regular" I-War? I've heard great things about Defiance (better graphics, new AI, automated self defense etc.). Is it worth buying if you already have the original?

Oops, just realized I got finally promoted!
smile.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by Nighthawk (edited January 08, 2000).]

Strategy: Homeworld
Story: WCIV
Acting: WCIII -- Had WCIV been more like the novel (especially Mr. Seether, his pilots, and Tolwyn's speech in Axius base), I would've picked it.
Variety of equipment/units: MechCommander
Reliability: WCI -- good old cross-hairs, no jerking targeting computers
Simulation: WCIV
Graphics: WCIV
Challenge: Blast Radius
Sound Effects: MechCommander
Role Playing: WCIV
Music: WCI

WOW, Chip!! Where did you dig out this old dinosaur topic?! You must`ve done some serious archive excavations.
wink2.gif

Lets see, here I go

Adventure: Tex Murphy series or Monkey Island Series

Action Game: Deus Ex or System Shock 2

RPG: No doubt about this one. If you want unlimited freedom to design your character and one of the best worlds ever created, Fallout series. Best other would be Planescape: Torment. A rpg must have a deep story or else you are playing hack and slash.

Space Sim: Hmmm, I would put both FS2 or I-War before Prophecy (But best ever is still tied between WC2 and WC4 for me).

Strategy: Alpha Centuari

Sport Game: High Heat Baseball 2001 - By far the most realistic game on PC or console.

Best Misc. The entire You Don't Know Jack Series

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

Cough! Sneeze!

And I was thinking that this was a new topic.
biggrin.gif

Oh, I'd include Planescape Torment and Final Fantasy 8 too in my RPG vote.

------------------
The WC Source Code Release Project needs you!
"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings
"...we follow the sun, we follow the sun, we follow the sun..."

Member of the LMG(Centaurian)

[This message has been edited by klaus (edited September 06, 2000).]

One game that has stood out for me, besides the Wing Commander series, was one that came out two years ago, based off the movie of the same name.

BLADERUNNER

The story, changing of possible enemies and friends every time you play, over seventy characters that change their dialogue every time you play, graphics, sound, speech....hey...this game had it all for me.

Back