VISTA software??

Shazzam

Spaceman
What can we do about the new software from microsoft called "VISTA" that would cause some conflicts on Wing Commander Games like W.C. Prophecy????:confused:

Prophecy appears to run fine. It's mostly some of the earlier games that cause trouble.

You can find a list of what works here.

As for what can be done; well, we'll just have to wait it out and see how the final version is. Personally I don't see problems as being anything more than short-term; there are quite a few talented programmers over the years that have enabled us to run pretty much every PC game ever released.

If you're overly concerned, though, the simplest thing to do is not to upgrade. There certainly doesn't seem to be much compelling reason to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or of course, build your own system that closely resembles the system specs of a x86 family processor (running in DOS or win9x), as many have done in the past.

Personaly I kept my old 386, the same machine I played WC1 and WC2 on back in 1992. And Privateer. Anyway, that machine is sitting under my desk, plugged through a KVM swtich* to my main monitor, keyboard and speakers along with my new PC.

* A KVM (keyboard, video, mouse) switch is a device that allows to plug two or more PCs to the same set of input devices, effectively allowing you to use a single keyboard, monitor and mouse to use multiple computers. Some KVM switches even share USB devices and sound.

Keep in mind that Wing Commander games weren't designed to run in Windows 98... or ME... or 2000... or XP -- but they do, now. No matter what operating system Microsoft ends up releasing, Wing Commander fans will always find a way to run the games.

Back