Vietnam man handles three decades without sleep

AFAIK an Urban Legend is a story that has the status of a rumor--some or even most people believe it, but there is no formal confirmation that it is true.

Shooter said:
I dont think this is an urban legend at all, because this is not the first case documented. The last one I've heard was about a russian (ucranian?) guy who spent 20 years without sleep, but had to be medicated to maintain his fisical condition. Who knows, the human brain is still a mistery...

Actually they do know enough about the brain to know it works just like most parts of the body, it needs rest. If the brain constantly works non-stop with no rest, it will begin to overload itself with the chemicals that work the body, which is also tired, compensating for exhaustion by realaying to the brain that it either needs sleep or more help working. Sleep is necessary in all forms to allow the brain itself to shut down and the body heals while asleep. So none of this seems logically possible. Now if you said, "I only need 5 hours of sleep a night and I can function just fine." That would be something I could agree with

-Rance-

Ijuin said:
AFAIK an Urban Legend is a story that has the status of a rumor--some or even most people believe it, but there is no formal confirmation that it is true.
No, an urban legend is something that a lot of people believe, but has in fact been proven completely false.

Yeah, either definition works for me more or less. The point is, you don't take some piece of scientific medical knowledge and transform it into urban legend status because of a couple weird stories. As I said above, "the man who didn't ever need to sleep" is the urban legend in this thread.

How can you go THIRTY years with out sleep. Even if you have a disease or something, you wouldn't be able to sustain that long. Right?

maniac89 said:
How can you go THIRTY years with out sleep. Even if you have a disease or something, you wouldn't be able to sustain that long. Right?

did you read anything posted in the thread?

When I was 19 I kept consiousness for 4 days... I then slept for 2. I was coding a webpage and got on a roll, didn't stop until I finally ran out of steam. These days, I can't even do 24 hours, even with motivation. Sometimes getting old sucks.

One time I stayed up for five days straight. I was playing Close Combat III on Hero difficulty, and It was so hard I thought that if I stopped playing to sleep I would lose my edge. I was halucinating pretty bad by the end until I finally passed out. I still haven't been able to sleep normally since. I tend to just lie awake until 4am before I finally drift off for about 5 hours of sleep. It's pretty wierd.

Well, Raptor, you ruined your life over a game... I've been trying to do that for years, but my wife has foiled my plans...

Anyway, way back when I was 16-18, I could go from Friday to sunday without sleeping much, spending nights drinking beer in my room with my friends with the A/C on VERY COLD, and in rock nightclubs. good times.

Raptor_Pilot said:
One time I stayed up for five days straight. I was playing Close Combat III on Hero difficulty, and It was so hard I thought that if I stopped playing to sleep I would lose my edge. I was halucinating pretty bad by the end until I finally passed out. I still haven't been able to sleep normally since. I tend to just lie awake until 4am before I finally drift off for about 5 hours of sleep. It's pretty wierd.

You're lucky. I keep reading about crazy koreans that stay up playing games in internet cafés for 80+ hours straight and then inexplicably drop dead. (though at 5 days your still a day or two short of 80+)

AD said:
You're lucky. I keep reading about crazy koreans that stay up playing games in internet cafés for 80+ hours straight and then inexplicably drop dead. (though at 5 days your still a day or two short of 80+)

Yeah, something about that story doesn't add up.

Well a coma technically isn't sleeping. It's kind of a gray area. So whoever came up with that story could have "twisted" the truth.

Um, nitpick here, but eighty hours is three days and eight hours. Five days would be a hundred and twenty hours.

Ijuin said:
Um, nitpick here, but eighty hours is three days and eight hours. Five days would be a hundred and twenty hours.

heheheh yeah... what was I thinking! (12x5= 60 ) Good catch. that really was an idiotic mistake. But the point is the same.

Staying up long, long hours and fueling on adrenaline, junk food, and caffein is bad for you.

AD said:

I don't know, I've done 80 hours before a few times and I didn't die. Maybe went a little nut's but definately not dead. I mean I am typing right now, so I'm not dead am I? Unless this is the afterlife?

EDIT: Maybe staring at a computer screen for 80 hours straight could overload your brain and kill you? They need to learn to take a break every few hours. Get some more caffeine and pizza to keep you going.

Back