Video Card Suggestions

Raven0215

Spaceman
I currently have 2x SLI Geforce 7900gs's and am thinking about upgrading to 2x 9800 GT's. I am running XP currently and don't plan to upgrade to vista until I have too. Would this be a decent upgrade or a waste of money.

I'd look out for a GTX2 version of the 9800(two combined on a single PCIe PCB), and ofcourse a new power supply.

Depends what you are using your PC for I guess,

if its for gaming with casual modelling or something like that I would use the money I would have spent on two 9800's and get a single top of the line card,

2 cards in SLI would only seem to be worth it if you were doing intensive 3D work or had some ungodly monitor with an insane size and resolution to get the most out of an SLI setup

of course, thats just my own personal opinion

According to this chart, 2x 7900 GS in SLI averages about 60.40 fps in the Half Life 2 Episode 2 1280x1024, 4xAA, 8xAF, Very High Quality benchmark.

2x 9800 GTX in SLI configuration averages about 85.10 fps in the same benchmark.

So you just have to decide if the price of two new video cards is worth a 40.89% fps increase.

All great info so far......I mostly play flight sims and other stuff such as World in Conflict and I will be getting fallout 3, I am also interested in the directx10 features this card has which as I understand you have to be running vista to take advantage of. I do have a free copy of vista to upgrade too and I was also thinking of upgrading to 4gb of ram I believe my motherboard supports up to 8gb. Also to give you guys a little more info I currently have a 1k power supply so I think that should handle the cards hopefully, as far as cost the cards are currently 109.99 on newegg so a really good price I am thinking and i can get 2g of corsair memory for like 30 bucks or something. I have a dell xps 710 system so the memory is the 667 stuff or whatever. I have always built my own computers in the past but I had one built this time because my company would pay for it but they wouldn't pay for individual parts had to be a complete system.

I currently have 2x SLI Geforce 7900gs's and am thinking about upgrading to 2x 9800 GT's. I am running XP currently and don't plan to upgrade to vista until I have too. Would this be a decent upgrade or a waste of money.

I have a dell xps 710 system so the memory is the 667 stuff or whatever. I have always built my own computers in the past but I had one built this time because my company would pay for it but they wouldn't pay for individual parts had to be a complete system.

You can get a customized system from any -real- computer shop, as long as the system is "complete".

Also, someone cheated on you with the '7900;
http://www.hardware.info/nl-BE/productdb/bGRkZJiSmJTK/viewproductspecs/Dell_XPS_710_H2C/

:rolleyes:

oh my xps is almost 2 years old i don't think that video card was out yet. Plus you get to select your options and I was given a budget by the company for what I could spend I am just upgrading now a few years down the road.

What employing company allows you to get a high-end gaming system for work?

Modelling wouldn't be an issue, since you would require an Nvidia Quadro or ATI fireGL, which is far more suitable for serious 3D applications, IMHO.

Still, I wouldn't mind getting an Alienware or VoodooPC system for office work to take home.

who says its for games i just need all that hardware for all the programs that I hafta run for work :p if it just so happens to run games well then thats a bonus, they set the budget not me I just wanna make sure I get the most for the money :D

That was what I was wondering about, what hardware do you require for your work(as in what do you use for work) that you would need an SLI setup, and if they had set the budget, you could have gotten more then you would have with a dell XPS. If you got that computer rig past your CEO, with some technical staff looking it over and approving, I'd consider him careless, stupid or crazy?

Last "system" I obtained for work was from a list that went to an approving list, i could get away with obtaining a 64bit, and go for AMD, extra expenses on the case, videocard, memory and soundcard I wanted were plus-minussed on the bill(the extra part i would have to pay myself).

And the fact that it's Dell makes it even more weird, since the XPS series is not part of business-to-business programs, and it's an individual machine, here in holland on the sole delivery of the machine, this costs are about 90 euro's extra.

About three years ago I worked as a senior system and network engineer and i had to go over the crazy configurations some of the staff wanted to try and spend their budget on. An SLI-configuration, 600+ watt power supplies, external soundcard rig, 3 500GB HDD's, joysticks, steering wheels, and stuff like that were simply taken out. This was not cut from their budget then, but they could then use the money they saved later on RAM upgrades or other usefull stuff for work. One of the reasons why was that i would have to be able to troubleshoot them running company programs/vpn/whatever on it.

Back