Vesuvius Vs Star Destroyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Star Rider

Rear Admiral
Hey guys I've had a question thats been on my mind for a long time and I was hopeing to get your imput on it. Which would win in a battle a Vesuvius Class Carrier and her fighter wing. Or an Imperial Star Destroyer and its fighter wing?

If it becomes a problem, one of the mods will close it.

Can a moderator close a thread if they think it's pointless?

And we all know, TIE fighters can't stand up to several wings of cloaked, Flashpak-carrying Dragons.

This kind of pointless speculation is best kept inside the chaotic realm of spacebattles.com. Debates over the capabilities of two science fiction universes are inconclusive at best.

Tie Fighters seem to have some interesting manueverabiliy. I reckon it'd be a tough fight for the fighter wings.
As for the two cruisers, I'll bet on the Vesuvius. Not only would it be able to out manuever the Star Destroyer, it's shields are simply un-matched. The Star Destroyers are so weak with the placing of their two shield generators. Can't beleive the engineers made them so vulnerable.

Augh. I hate threads like this.

"God comes out, says he needs a starship, and destroys them both because this makes as much sense as bringing Star Wars into Star Trek" is my answer.

DyNaMiX said:
Tie Fighters seem to have some interesting manueverabiliy. I reckon it'd be a tough fight for the fighter wings.
As for the two cruisers, I'll bet on the Vesuvius. Not only would it be able to out manuever the Star Destroyer, it's shields are simply un-matched. The Star Destroyers are so weak with the placing of their two shield generators. Can't beleive the engineers made them so vulnerable.

I can't help but put my 2 cents in this, heh...

When you think about it, in all of the different eras of the Star Wars Universe, everything seems to have obvious weak spots which shows a lack of engineering in the design process. I would make the Super Star Destroyer and the Eclipse SSD exceptions though...both have substantial protection and firepower. I also like the idea of the big Imperial walkers, because how often will fighters have tow cables on them? :p

OK, by the numbers:
1. TIEs and Confed's fighters...after comparing performance with TIE Fighter and Standoff, I come to the conclusion that our fighters accelerate at a much better rate and go quite faster. Speed is life in a dogfight, making it the most important advantage. TIE interceptors, Advanced, Avengers, and Defenders turn very well, but certainly won't help them when our boys can play Red Rover with them all day long with their blazing speed. Terran Confederation PWNS the Galactic Empire in the fighter category!

2. Shielding comparisons...I'd say inconclusive, because of insufficient explanations of how either system works, mostly due to the fact that noone in this day and age knows how the hell it's possible ;) Since this is an unknown factor, for the sake of the argument, shield considerations are ignored.

3. Weapons...hands down, gun for gun, I go for the anti-matter weapons over the "lasers" of the Star Destroyer. However, the Star Destroyer posesses an incredible volume of turbolaser batteries that can lay down a huge concentration of fire. I would say this category depends on the capabilities of the gun crews. However, if the Victory is in front of Eclipse's fo'c'sle, you can kiss it goodbye thanks to the Death Star laser mounted there :eek:

4. Propulsion...the SD can enter hyperspace, Victory cannot, giving the SD the advantage of speed, ability to withdraw, and make hit and run attacks at will. Advantage-Star Destroyer!

With fighter compliments, Confed wins every time. If both sides have none, the battle will depend on the cunning of their captains! Of course, that is assuming either equal shield strength, or none at all.

Wulf said:
I can't help but put my 2 cents in this, heh...

When you think about it, in all of the different eras of the Star Wars Universe, everything seems to have obvious weak spots which shows a lack of engineering in the design process. I would make the Super Star Destroyer and the Eclipse SSD exceptions though...both have substantial protection and firepower. I also like the idea of the big Imperial walkers, because how often will fighters have tow cables on them? :p

OK, by the numbers:
1. TIEs and Confed's fighters...after comparing performance with TIE Fighter and Standoff, I come to the conclusion that our fighters accelerate at a much better rate and go quite faster. Speed is life in a dogfight, making it the most important advantage. TIE interceptors, Advanced, Avengers, and Defenders turn very well, but certainly won't help them when our boys can play Red Rover with them all day long with their blazing speed. Terran Confederation PWNS the Galactic Empire in the fighter category!

2. Shielding comparisons...I'd say inconclusive, because of insufficient explanations of how either system works, mostly due to the fact that noone in this day and age knows how the hell it's possible ;) Since this is an unknown factor, for the sake of the argument, shield considerations are ignored.

3. Weapons...hands down, gun for gun, I go for the anti-matter weapons over the "lasers" of the Star Destroyer. However, the Star Destroyer posesses an incredible volume of turbolaser batteries that can lay down a huge concentration of fire. I would say this category depends on the capabilities of the gun crews. However, if the Victory is in front of Eclipse's fo'c'sle, you can kiss it goodbye thanks to the Death Star laser mounted there :eek:

4. Propulsion...the SD can enter hyperspace, Victory cannot, giving the SD the advantage of speed, ability to withdraw, and make hit and run attacks at will. Advantage-Star Destroyer!

With fighter compliments, Confed wins every time. If both sides have none, the battle will depend on the cunning of their captains! Of course, that is assuming either equal shield strength, or none at all.

This all assumes that whatever technologies work in the Star Wars or WC universes will work in the other... and that the speed units are the same when it comes to comparing fighter speeds, and that weapons work on the same principles in both universes, among other things.

In the meantime, can I refer to Rule #3 again?

Given that this is the Wing Commander forums and that everyone here has chosen to spend their time talking about Wing Commander rather than Star Wars, I think the general concensus would be that the Vesuvius would win. Cloaked Dragons armed with Flashpaks would have a strong chance of success and Blair is invincible if you replay the mission enough times.

Sorry if this is frowned upon, but I didn't feel like going to Spacebattles.com since I'm already here. It would take my computer awhile to load the page, start a discussion on the Vesuvius vs. Destroyer topic, and would probably make me register.

Come one, the real Star Wars vs Wing Commander question is about Luke vs Blair. Someone already wrote something about it.

Delance said:
Come one, the real Star Wars vs Wing Commander question is about Luke vs Blair. Someone already wrote something about it.
Eh, we already know how the Luke vs. Blair duel ends - haven't you ever played the original Prince of Persia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back